Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
I want a CHEEP usb tv capture card, all it needs is coaxil in and hook into firewire perifbly but USB is great too.

PS: With USB/Firewire ones will their be a delay inbetween the tv and the computer? I hope not.

Thanks,
Jake

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
There will be a delay, so using your computer as the display for a video game console won't work well at all.

However, does the short delay really matter for watching TV?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
ZicklePop said:
I want a CHEEP usb tv capture card, all it needs is coaxil in and hook into firewire perifbly but USB is great too.

PS: With USB/Firewire ones will their be a delay inbetween the tv and the computer? I hope not.

Thanks,
Jake
I'm not sure what your definition of cheap is, but ATI has a new product that works with USB2. All-In-Wonder something or other. I think it does hardware encoding/decoding, so there's minimal delay.

I think they sell it at elgato.com

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Bear said:
There will be a delay, so using your computer as the display for a video game console won't work well at all.

However, does the short delay really matter for watching TV?
Just aslong as its not that noticeable cause I'm used to watching TV on my TV and Computer (just CNN and stuff) I don't own a console heh.

ftaok said:
I'm not sure what your definition of cheap is, but ATI has a new product that works with USB2. All-In-Wonder something or other. I think it does hardware encoding/decoding, so there's minimal delay.

I think they sell it at elgato.com
I was hoping for something equal to or less than 100 dollars heh...

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
ZicklePop said:
Just aslong as its not that noticeable...

How would you notice? You don't need to worry about this. Unless you had a TV nearby to compare to (in which case you wouldn't need the device, right?), there'd be no way for you to detect the delay for normal TV viewing. Think about it: whenever you watch TV there's no way for you to tell how many milliseconds (or even seconds) 'late' you're seeing the image. When a 'live' TV broadcast is on a delay for censorship purposes, can you tell the difference? Without some some temporal reference, you won't notice the latency of a tv tuner/video capture device.

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
sandman42 said:
How would you notice? You don't need to worry about this. Unless you had a TV nearby to compare to (in which case you wouldn't need the device, right?), there'd be no way for you to detect the delay for normal TV viewing. Think about it: whenever you watch TV there's no way for you to tell how many milliseconds (or even seconds) 'late' you're seeing the image. When a 'live' TV broadcast is on a delay for censorship purposes, can you tell the difference? Without some some temporal reference, you won't notice the latency of a tv tuner/video capture device.
I have a TV about 10 feet away and I'm used to using the TV to view the and my computer speakers to listen heh... but even if there is a delay, I still need one thats pretty cheep so I can record TV shows to put on my Playstation Portible.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
ZicklePop said:
I have a TV about 10 feet away...

Oh, I see. Well, in that case I think most of the USB and Firewire devices have a delay (latency) that you would definitely notice -- it doesn't take much to make it noticeable, though maybe it wouldn't annoy you. From what I read, the ATI Wonder device is supposed to have a very small delay, but it doesn't fit your price range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.