Cheer me up, please!

Discussion in 'Community' started by sebisworld, Aug 19, 2004.

1. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    So..... I've graduated in June and am supposed to start “working” this year (as in September/October) . I want to go into movie/film production and since I haven’t quite figured what I would like to do in that business (camera, editing, visual effects---), I’ve been looking for an internship since February now (it’s also required by the college that I want to attend). I like the ocean and bad weather so I figured what the hell, let’s go to Iceland. At first I applied at some of the big companies and they all said that they were seriously thinking about taking me because they liked my application quite much. Unfortunately, there was no room for interns in any of them, so I sent application to like every company that had at least an appealing webpage. Like three weeks ago I emailed a company and asked them how I could apply and if it would be okay to do so this late and they wanted me to go ahead and sent my application which I did. Now yesterday I gave them a call and they told me they’d get back to me by today – and now that day is over. I hate that, it was my very last chance to go to Iceland. It must be such a great place (never been there). And, by the way, none of those companies that thought about taking me (like 10) sent my application back (I spend at least 20 bucks on each of them),
    Thanks to my bugging parents I also looked for companies in Germany and a guy I work for at weekends knows someone who has a film company. The company is really cool, everybody there seems nice, but it is in the worst town Germany has to offer. It’s so totally not Iceland, it’s even further away from the ocean than I am now. And the worst thing is – I haven’t yet found an apartment. It sucks so bad being out of school :-(

Well, I hope that I get the response to my application tomorrow and that I also find an apartment... so that I get to decide between “really cool place” and “really cool company” (hopefully Iceland will be both).

And for anyone who cares, I made quite a few cool pics for my application (all of them are quite large): In Black.jpg Rushmore.jpg Square.jpg

Man, why am I writing this?

Good night.
  2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    Thats some pretty good photochoping on the pics. I think the Britney was the best.
    Good Luck with your job-search.
  3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    whoa... that's creepy. You're the first person I've ever heard of, other than myself, who is named Sebastian and has the nickname sebi...
  4. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Welcome to the club, bud. I've been trying to get into the film/animation industry for 2 years, and even have connections in major studios like Pixar, ILM, Tippett, etc.

It takes a lot of patience, a lot of talent, and toms of persistence! You can do it--just keep working!! Internships are really important--go for the best one where you'll learn the most
  5. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001

I am 29 right now. I am moving from new York to Miami just because it ws too expensive and I didn't find a good position... so, I am going back to an smaller place that I can dominate.

As you are young the first thing is DO NOT RUSH!!! take a position in any post production house as an asistant. Star using Final Cut Pro and After Effects. Then jump to Avid and some 3D software. In less thna a year you will have a very good experience.

You just will not find no one of you age in a good production company with a good position. Take my experience, because if my rushing I have lost tons of money, I just lost $20.000 here in New York in the last 7 months and still without a job.

Go to any post production post house, get the experience and then you can apply for a position in a bigger place just in a year from now. What you need is the experience, then you can move any where. But do not even comit the mistake that you think you know, you know nothing, listen to your parents and be humble.
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  7. Sneeper macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    San Francisco
  8. sebisworld thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    I know. I should like marry your girlfriend :)

I used to live under the impression that every Sebastian went by Sebi, until I realized that that was just the case in Western Germany. I spent a year in Alaska and I was the very first Sebi over there, teaching everyone how to spell and pronounce it. The year after, there was another Sebastian and now he goes by Sebi, as well.

Well, I found an apartment in Siegen (that German town). I think I can learn a lot in that company, as they told me that I could do a little bit of everything (they're quite small). I might even get paid... but there's a downside to it:

And I think that Iceland would look so much better on my CV. But I might just have to go there on vacation.

I know. The guy on the right really adds to the picture, doesn't he?
  9. sebisworld thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    I got it!

I don't know if anyone's still reading this thread - but I started working on Wednesday here in Germany. Just hours later I got an email telling me that I could start in Iceland so I immediately quit in Siegen (even my boss recommended to pick Iceland over Siegen). I will be going to Iceland in a few days, all I need is to find an apartment (the company I'm gonna work for will be helping me with that and there is also another German intern who moves back Sep 25th, he lives in an apartment-sharing community). Well, I guess I cannot really put it into words... but I made it (I might even get the chance to direct if I am any good *g*)
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Good for you. I hope you'll be happy with it.
  11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Wow.....Iceland! Good for you. Hope its better than Germany.

Nice picture. Kinda reminds me of New Zealand, believe it or not.

Hellooooooo vacation pic:

Attached Files:

12. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I can certainly understand why you would want to live in Iceland. It is a beautiful place. My wife keeps saying that she wants to visit, but preferably to live. I agree, patience is very important. Anything worth having takes time.