Cheer Up! It's Not All Bad News!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Mar 1, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.counterpunch.org/
    Atlantis Redux?

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

skunk, the author has jumped the gun. we've just banned lighters from planes. all is saved.

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I'm not so sure. Could it really happen? I thought you were going to wait till China overtook you, but maybe suicide is more appealing?

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Oh poo.

Link

I hope the great minds who thought invading Iraq was a good idea aren't the same ones who are behind our current economic policy.

Oh, wait. How could they not be, you can't get a job in this Administration unless you follow without question.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, this is another facet of the point I was trying to make in my "Heading towards zero" thread. We've been spending the last three decades chasing the standard of living in the poorest parts of the world. What else did we expect to happen?

I don't give a good goddamn if anyone thinks this is a treasonous comment, but it the above scenario comes to pass...good! This country deserves such a disaster. Its leaders are greedy bastards and its people too stupid to stand up for themselves and revolt. This is not the United States that its founders intended. It's a corrupt caricature of its former self. It is autistic, living in a world that no one else sees.

Babylon 5 fans will remember the character of Mr. Morden, a creep only slightly more evil than Bush, Rove, Cheney and that whole gang. Morden was a master manipulator, always causing trouble behind the scenes, to the enrichment of himself and his masters, and to the unending grief of everyone else.

When Morden asked one character what he would like to see happen, the character responded thusly:

That's how I feel about the slimy con men who have brought us to this point. So yeah, maybe the sooner this happens, the faster we can wake up from this nightmare. Maybe it'll take something this disastrous to get these right-wing fanatics to reconsider everything they "know". So in that sense, perversely, yes, this is good news.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I agree with you, in many ways. I was going to say something about how rubbing an economic disaster in the face of those who have bought into this greed is just not going to feel all that satisfying in the end. Everyone is going to suffer and "I told you so" isn't going to make things better, but at the very least, it could lead to a new and much stronger New Deal.

The architects of the new deal part two will have to learn from the mistakes not considered when the last one was put together. Serious limits on media ownership and propaganda will have to be established and an education system that freakin works.

Hopefully the supporters of Bush and his crew will slap some sense into themselves.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to admit, even though the latter part of my B5 quote betrays a certain desire for vengeance, you are right about that.

But I do believe strongly in the first part of that quote. A reluctant part of me hopes that if and when disaster comes, it is so deep and so harrowing that it serves "as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price." I think the only way this country is going to learn anything is if our financial ruin becomes so bad that we remember it for a long, long time.

Personally, I'd rather see the people rise up in imitation of the French Revolution and throw these idiots out. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear likely to happen. We're more like an inveterate alcoholic: we're not going to admit we are wrong until we hit absolute rock bottom.