"cheetah" OSX (mobile)

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by jasonpaul75, Aug 22, 2002.

1. jasonpaul75 macrumors member

Has anyone ever considered that it is well within Apple's abilities to throw another staggering blow into the armor of Microsoft with the release of a powerful mobile os that could be formatted to replace Pocket PC with all its warts. Only software R+D necessary. Format the memory of the IPAQ unit with its first connection with isync. Compaq/HP should be extactic with all of the addidtional sales. This would certainly work in Apples favor with little if any risk at all...you know test the waters without falling on their proverbial sword (or stylus). Use all of the great bits from the newton...and the IPAQ has shown itself as more than capable of handling media. Just a thought...or maybe I am more in the know than I want to let on....I am sure iphone will happen soon....but this could be really useful as well.:eek: :eek: :eek:

2. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

As long as Cheetah Mobile was more like Jaguar than Cheetah
    :)

3. jasonpaul75 thread starter macrumors member

I guess...

I guess they could call it "Jackal" I was looking for a small mobile cat. And "Tabby" just doesn't wash

4. 3G4N macrumors regular

mobile osX

If Apple ever went this route and decided not to use
    a symbianOS or pixioOS, they would probably go with
    a paired-down, tailored build of Darwin, with a lil
    QT thrown in, and a light UI.

Heck, QuickTime is almost a mini-OS in and of itself.

5. Anon macrumors member

Bobcat or better yet Lynx would be a better name for a Mini-Mac OSX. Lynx would be a pretty good name to pair with iSync.

Most devices have flashable ROMs so what you are saying is doable. However if what you are proposing is you get some software from Apple that is easily piratable and buy a device from Compaq, how does Apple make any money doing this? Also how is this a staggering blow to Microsloth if they get their Microsoft Tax on the system when you bought it?

Lynx would also be a good name for a baby Linux that someone could hack onto a iPaq and do something simular to what you are describing.

6. macswede macrumors newbie

7. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

PalmOS tweaked by Apple would seems like the most logical choice for Apple. Development of scaled down OS X would be pain in the a$$.
    Then again,they will probably never release PDA.

Cheap 9" iBook (or eBook?) would be a good thing,no optical drive,firewire port,maybe ethernet,56k modem,G3,rage graphics,the only problem i can think of would be speed of X,maybe they should release no-aqua interface for it?
    If they release 9" for surfing net,listening music etc. while on the road,I am first one to buy it.

8. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Is this a closet "apple pda" thread? It might be interesting, but software development is not cheap. How about someone porting darwin over to a pocket pc. Once that was done, you could run gnome or kde on it. Oh, you want aqua, keep on wishing, it might happen.

9. jasonpaul75 thread starter macrumors member

Logic dictates...

That apple can surely find a way to to be paid for the mobile OSX. Maybe its an addidtional charge attached to your .mac account. Sure would be smooth to easily be able to access my .mac email over an IPAQ with a wireless connection...using "richochet" or a bluetooth enabled cell phone connection (maybe even iphone if the rumors turn out to be true.

The IPAQ is the right choice for me for a number of reasons...its screen...speed...and upgrade slot allow space for Apple exclusive upgrade media like bluetooth. The stuff we are talking about isn't really difficult...it just takes them making a decision.

To the above poster that recomenended Palm instead...What would be the point the technical specs are so inferior I really can't see the point.:eek:

10. makkystyle macrumors regular

Lynx would not be used as it is already a major brand name in the shaving/personal care market in Europe. Sorry.

11. jasonpaul75 thread starter macrumors member

This thread has gotten off track...

Would any of you use an IPAQ with an Apple mobile OSX reformatted on it???

Just curious...but I think a whole helluva lot of us would go be there in a second...especially now that we have our own Palm desktop (ical + Address Book) and native connection app (isync)

Fast...with a pretty screen.

12. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I could see where a mobile OS X could be built with a dumbed down version of Aqua, with a few of the features of OS X.

Obviously, for it to work, Apple would have to make a portable iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, etc. Plus, they'd have to get developers and a few games (i.e. solitaire)

Yet, I could see where this could be done in an instant--we'd only need a slower 750FX processor from IBM. Clocked at about 400-500MHz, this could easily become a possibility. Equipped with ATi's new 2D accelerator for handheld devices, and one could have a killer PDA.

Here's my guess as to the the specs of what an Apple PDA would be (despite my belief that we won't ever see an Apple branded PDA):

- 400-500MHz low-power G3 from IBM
    - 20GB Toshiba Miniature Hard Drive
    - ATi 2D Graphic Acceleration
    - Slightly larger-than-your-typical PDA size
    - 3.5" LCD

13. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: mobile osX

what do you mean by "qt is almost a mini os..."?

14. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Not only has Apple tried to do this before (eMate), but it also does not fit in with the Digital Hub concept.

Not likely.
    Even though I love tiny laptops, I wouldn't buy one.

Just my 2 cents.

15. dwishbone macrumors regular

I like Bobcat. Lynx was an old failed color handheld gaming system made by Atari.

I doubt they would just slap MacOS X on a handheld. If Apple ever did get into this arena it would be something new...such as what was suggested earlier...Darwin with a very light UI.

The iPod is almost a PDA. It store almost everything you could possibly want in a PDA. Just add some sort of an input device and an actual GUI and you would have a nice little PDA device.