Chemical ready warheads in Iraq

Discussion in 'Community' started by drastik, Jan 16, 2003.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Breaking News over at NYTimes, looks like the inspectors have found chemical capable warheads somewhere over there. Crap, I hate wars, now it looks like we are getting into one.

2. vniow macrumors G4

oh ****

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Gee, i'll bet they're the only country in the world that has chemical-ready warheads. Certainly *we* don't have any... :rolleyes: We were determined to find something to go to war about, and we just did. Justification comes in many forms when you're "fighting evil"... To be perfectly honest, i'd stockpile weapons like this, too, if relations with the US had been strained for over a decade, and the current president was determined to have my head on a pike...

:(

pnw

4. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Whoa, that's bad news, but let's all keep in mind that chemical ready is not chemical weapon. Under that classification my box of envelopes is a chemical weapon ready delivery device.
    If the inspectors find a program actively making the chemical agents or find a stockpile of the chemical weapons themselves, then that's another story.

5. morlium macrumors regular

Yeah sure, to the rational.
    But me thinks ol' W. will use this to "hunt down and find them folks."

6. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Yeah, I think you're right. This will become another question of spin, and since our troops are already there...

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Saddam Hussein having the 12 chemical/biological ready warheads it illegal according the the Geneva convention. It also a violation of the agreement he made with the UN in 1991. Will have to wait to see what this means.

We were going to war against him before this happened!

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Netscape Poll: Is the recent UN finding of Chemical warheads in Iraq sufficient justification for a war? Yes, Iraq is not cooperating. 53% No, the warheads were empty. 47% America is still divided, when the time comes for war I think the majority will support Bush.

The mood on the ground in Iraq is "very tense and dangerous," due to continuing inspections.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/01/16/sproject.irq.wrap/index.html

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

lets just hope that no stupid irrational motions come out of this-we are not going to stop them if they want to make chemical weapons, and they will just get more aggravated by our pushy prying-though i am kind of scared of what hussein might do with warhead-right now i am hoping that there wont be any fighting, because it would just aggravate all the countries that are already against us more-we are not poerful enough to stop all efforts against us, and as we suppress one another will just pop up in an endless cycle-yes I know that we have the power to eliminate all of iraq-and that we have some unsubtantiated reasons to bomb iraq. We need to look at the repercussions of what we might do. Nuclear fallout will spread all over the middleeast if we use nuclear bombs. Radioactive gasoline anyone? It will spread killing and mutating plants and animals-and all the countries around them will have some amount of fallout. Each time there is a nuclear explosion its just gonna hurt the world more than we already have. Environmental activists shouldnt be regarded as tree huggers anymore-somehow i dont think that people realize the repercussions of their massive suvs, not to mention one or more nukes has on the planet. Next-think of the civilians-wouldnt it be nice if bush started to build an arsenal and the other countireis didnt like it so they bombed us, and one day various major cities were no longer on the map?

Yah, the image of hussein and his wareads is bad, but we really need to see beyond our anger and hatred-and realize that what seems like an effective plan to eliminate the "axis of evil" (bull****) will only ever work around us.

10. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Ya know, my cynicism is at an all time high these days as I sit in a country with an unelected leader who has no problem suspending the constitution and willing to wage wars on other countries unilaterally.

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    your statement even enforces your statement.

12. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I didn't know my statement had sanctions in place that needed to be enforced. Let's get some UN statement inspectors on this right away so we can start bombing!
    Oh, wait, I think you meant REinforces. Oops, better call off the bombers.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

President George W. Bush was constitutionally elected. In our system the popular vote doesn't count. We vote for electors in each state, separate elections. Presidential election strategy is made on this system, not the popular vote. Sore looserman needs to get over it and move on!

14. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I don't think we could have avoided it.... power is essentially self-justifying after all....

15. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

When you have your brother the Governor delete a large number of people in lower income neighborhoods from the voter registrations, then perform lots of other sketchy things come election time and the actual votes never get counted, then you have a very conservative leaning supreme court hijack the recount and declare a winner...that's not an elected President under our constitution. 5 to 4 on the supreme court is not the same as winning even the electoral college let alone the popular vote. Dubya is a usurper of the office.

16. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    bush got his popular mandate when republicans took control of the senate. plan and simple.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

as much as i'd agree with you, i assume you don't think he's the first to use heavy handed tactics to gain power even in the us, eh? (haha. us, eh sounds like usa... ahhh)

18. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Gaining 3 seats to achieve a majority vote in the Senate is hardly a mandate for the presidency, now is it?

19. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

No, but it is the most egregious current example that the media has all too keen to sweep under the rug.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

agreed

21. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Back to the topic.

How is Iraq in violation by having these shells? Unless I am wrong, and please correct me if I am, the agreement was origionaly for Saddam to disarm. How much further do you want them to go? The shells were found sealed in boxes, without chemical, biological, or convientional payloads. Is he supposed to have melted the metal down, and made paperclips out of them, and document the whole process with pictures, video, and signed afadavids from representitives of all the nations, the moon, and God?

I know, it's because they weren't listed in the inventory. Let's ask the US to list all armaments in the state of Texas. I'll bet the miss a few things!

Before you all get your flame-throwers out at me, there is a good reason for us to invade Iraq. Saddam has continuely oppressed his people, and for that reason alone we should use any means necessary to free those people. I don't care about oil, weapons, or revenge. None of these things would I send young soldiers to die for.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

very well said... i have wondered all along what constitutes disarming...

and likewise, i won't support a war based on just what we know now... or rather, don't know

23. diorio macrumors 6502a

While this is bad, it's not as bad as it could be. They haven't found any actual chemical weapons, but Iraq was supposed to declare everything of this nature, so it's pretty bad.

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

And iraq's representitives are telling us that they *did* document these warheads. Meanwhile the US "isn't sure" if they did or not. i would actually trust their word on this more than i'd trust our government's... since our gov't is moving to go to war, they need a reason. You'd think the US would know immediately if the warheads were documented, and i cannot believe Iraq's reps would lie so boldfaced and easily disproven. As was said, the warheads were empty, except for that one, and they don't have any idea what's in it (if anything).

There's no reason to go to war with Iraq right now. They pose no threat that we know of, and i do not want the USA to get in the business of blowing up any country that posesses arms.

pnw

25. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Things are getting greyer. Both sides of this dispute are liars, so we have to sift through the words and find the facts.
    Sad thing is that my country is just looking for a justification now and not even a reason anymore.