Discussion in 'Community' started by Wano, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    So confusing, I don't understand chemistry:confused: I just started my new classes for this semester, and I don't get chemistry. Everyone told me it's easy if I understand Algebra really well, which I do. So, I didn't think that chemistry would be bad...but I have a teacher who litterally expects the students to know everything-that is actually what he said, and his method of teaching is giving us handouts on how to do problems but with no visuals---??????????????How the hell will I be able to understand if he doesn't show us how to do it!?! I am stressing, the college I want to get into requieres three lab science credit. What to do!?! anyone know any books that I can pick up and learn chemistry from, or websites even?
    I think I would understand it if someone just explains it to me!!! Man, this is probably the most stressed I have ever felt.

Sorry for bitching but I needed to get it off my chest.
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    My experience was that chemistry has to be visualized. Whether you can see it in your head, or try creating visuals to help you with your problems...

3. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    yup...and this teacher doesn't do that...and i am not dumb or anything, i haven't recieved lower than a B all through out high school,so far at least, and i grasp concepts fairly well if they are taught good....but this teacher doesn't teach well.
  4. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I found Chemistry to be difficult also. Organic was easier, something I could visualize. A teacher can make all the difference in learning. Someone that is brilliant in a subject cannot relate to a person that's struggling.

Try to find someone to be a tutor!
  6. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Try to get yourself a chemistry modeling package. It'll allow you to see how atoms bond in 3d space. What parts of chemistry are you having problems with and what type of chemistry is it? General Inorganic, Organic, Analytical, Physical or Biochemistry?
  7. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    Well, thanks for all the help and info...I had a breakthrough today...hehe....well more or less the teacher was just giving us a hard time since it was the first week of school. But, today in class he was actually "student friendly" and helped us understand the concept better, and now I got everything he has given us in terms of work. So, I think I will get a B or A if both the teacher and I keep it up.
  8. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit

I was in the same situation as you last year, except my teacher only got worse. He was a fat old bastard.

I'm taking Physics right now and it's fairly easy.

I guess you'll have something to look forward to after you finish Chemistry.
  9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    When I had Honors Chemistry last year, my teacher was nowhere near than 6 feet tall, she spoke fast, and she did one successful experiment throughout the whole year. Also, her factor label method is the ugliest thing you'll ever see. I have a mock-up below.

This year I am taking AP Chemistry, with someone, with a stronger voice, knows what the Fred he's talking about, talks slowly, and skips over the bullShawn, not to mention you can't go a full week without seeing at least one demonstration. I have his mock-up below as well.

Chemistry is only easy if you are willing to learn it. But you have to be rather quick in mathmatical concepts, and you need to understand basic concepts.

Attached Files:

10. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    Yup...I am really good with math, and now that my teacher is explaining **** well i understand it.
  11. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I never liked chemistry too much, but I love physics. I took physics 1 last year, and the teacher was awesome. She was very funny too. This year, in Physics 2 AP, there are only 3 kids in the class, and the teacher is cool too. Besides, I know him, since we've gone mountain biking together...

I can grasp Physics much better than Chemistry becasue physics is mostly math and understanding different functions and equations.

Anyways, good luck, and have fun! My Classes don't start till Tuesday. My school has a screwed up calendar...
  12. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Congratulations Wano, it seems that you've had that Aha moment!
  13. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    hehe...yeah(in a reliefd way.AAAhhhaaaa!
  14. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Wano, be sure to keep us posted on your progress!
  15. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I like Physics as well. I've only taken it this year, and I've had two yeachers, with the possibility of a third. My first teacher received a job elsewhere, 2000 miles away, and he almost never displayed anger when teaching. He did stutter a lot, though. :)

You know, Wano, if you were smart in math, you would have noticed that in my example for AP Chemistry, there are 32g per mole of O2, not 44g, as I have it. :p

Just kidding man. Your first few years will be blue heck at college, especially if you go to a cheap college. Just keep at it. Before you know it, you'll be taking the courses you want, and you'll be given better instructions. :cool:
  16. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    the most important part with an esoteric subject like chem or algebra is to have interest in it first

i hated shakespeare and didn't understand it until i was introduced to romeo and juliet...and then i was stoked
  17. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    My chemistry teacher has been teaching it for many many years. He is very cool but not always clear. He always walks up to me and my lab partner and say's, "hey, bonjorno, why can't these other students be italian?" he rambles on about Italy and how much better it is than the US. Very funny. He's not even italian and I'm only 1/4. One time we talked about bocce for 10 minutes while the other kids sat there with their hands raised. He he.