cheney disinvited from nyc 9/11 ceremony

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 10, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...84&e=14&u=/nm/20030910/pl_nm/sept11_cheney_dc

does the reason bloomberg gave strike anyone else as a cover?

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: cheney disinvited from nyc 9/11 ceremony

It could be that there are too many pissed off people in NYC, around such things as the EPA/White House handling of the toxics following 9/11. I don't think they want to have any pictures of angry people shouting at Bush or Cheney on 9/11.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: cheney disinvited from nyc 9/11 ceremony

because that would mean the terrorists had won

edit: forgot this ;-)

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: Re: Re: cheney disinvited from nyc 9/11 ceremony

no, because the administration wants to do everything it can to associate itself with the patriotic response of the American people to the tragedy of 9/11. If folks, especially in NYC, are mad at them, they can hardly use those images to project the idea of their "heroic leadership."

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: cheney disinvited from nyc 9/11 ceremony

i think this is the best proof we're gonna get of that:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/116233p-104847c.html

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Who knows. Perhaps Bloomberg made the request to keep the event public without the need for massive security.

There will be protests at the Rep. convention in NY next year for sure though.

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I hope you're right. It is too easy to get cynical with Karl Rove's campaign tactics seemingly orchestrating every move.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I know. It just seems like a very legitimate reason. The 9/11 memorials are for the public, not the polititians. I'm sure Rove made the political calculations, and just decided that any benefit from Cheney being there would be outweighed by bad press if the public couldn't have the kind of access it would get if he wasn't there. They would have thought about the possibility of protesters already anyway. I'm guessing this originated with Bloomberg, not the WH. Just my gut feeling though, doesn't mean I'm right.