Cheney may be target of probe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 18, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

doest this mean that Hastert will be President in a few months?

3. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

"Scooter wouldn't be freelancing on this without Cheney's knowledge," a source told the Daily News. "It was probably some off-the-cuff thing: 'This guy [Wilson] could be a problem.'"

It doesn't say if he winked or not. I guess we'll know soon enough. If he didn't wink when he said it, then it's Libby all the way, if he did wink, then he should go down too. ;)

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow... that's a new tidbit. And a shocking one at that. Who in the inner circle is giving up the goods?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I feel compelled to point out that the source of this information is the New York Daily News, not exactly a paragon of journalistic excellence. Of course that other New York newspaper isn't earning any awards lately either.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it would be nice if it's true. And I'm getting ahead of myself by wondering if it would be a very specific investigation or a broader one. (A broader one might bring in the spectre of Halliburton, and who knows what Pandora's box that might open.)

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If it's true that someone in the inner circle is turning over evidence, then who knows what could be uncovered? How about information on fixing elections? That might get a few more folks interested.

8. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yowsa! "This thing goes straight to the top baby."

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't George Stephanopolous (I know I'm spelling that wrong) mention something about Cheney being involved a few weeks ago? Seemed to pass under a lot of people's radar, must not have been that confident about his source or something. But yeah, I read this early on MSNBC. Quoting the Washington Post, oddly enough. Doubt he'll go down for it, but we'll see what happens come '06.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Cheney to resign?

There are even rumors flying all over Washington that Cheney might resign and be replaced by Rice. I stress these are just rumors at this point.

USNews.com

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't some comedian once say that we'd never have a black VP with an unpopular white Pres? I could see them trying to win back the 98% of blacks that don't like BushCo... but it could also blow in their faces. Like with their base, who may be a little uncomfortable with the idea of a black female VP. And some people who would litterally blow stuff up in their faces to have a woman and/or black Pres, even if they don't like her.

Plus, during Katrina she was playing tennis and buying shoes.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The SpinMasters.................Cheneys Health is enough reason to step aside let alone his office blowing this cia cover. I can see it now Rice vs Clinton :D That would be fun to watch.

13. vniow macrumors G4

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Raw Story is reporting it is one of Cheney's aides, John Hannah.
    According to an old Newsweek story he received intelligence reports directly from the Iraqi National Congress (Chalabi) which was used to justify the war. If it is true he is cooperating, he would be in a position to tell a lot about the lies used to start the invasion as well as plans to discredit critics like Wilson.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it's all so cozy. i'm hoping Fitzi hits 'em w/ the RICO act on top of everything else.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

<wild conspiracy theory>
    You guys have it all wrong. Cheney is the high level source and he's pointing at W. If W is taken down Cheney gets to be Pres. He's been guiding W towards all of the abysmal decisions he has made and this way when he turns around everything W got wrong he can get elected in 2008.
    </wild conspiracy theory>

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to admit, I'm enjoying watching the growing list of liars and scam artists under investigation.

Not all these guys may do the perp walk, but they're doing a pretty damn good job of crippling the Republican party.

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

No Final Report Seen in Inquiry on C.I.A. Leak

link

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Now it appears there may be a second Cheney aide who is cooperating with Fitzgerald. If so Cheney is in trouble.

Raw Story

20. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Cheney 'cabal'?

This is an interesting article from Powell's former chief of staff.
    Financial Times

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Did anyone catch Frontline last night on PBS? They connected the dots between White House policy, or at least Rumsfeld policy, and the treatment of prisoners in Iraq. They essentially demolished, once and for all, the administration's ludicrous "bad apples" defense.

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Missed it. Do you know if it's availble for viewing online?

edit: yes it is! The Torture Question

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Let me know what you think. After seeing this I believe more than ever that Rumsfeld skated big time, and I think one of the reasons his resignation wasn't accepted is that it would have drawn attention to why.

24. tristan macrumors 6502a

Wow, if Cheney gets tagged, this thing will be bigger than Kirstie Alley. (Oh wait, she's thin now, bad metaphor.)

So when do these indictments come out? I'm juiced.

25. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

wttw just replayed the frontline piece and i caught most of it. i simultaneously want to cry and smash something. watching rumsfeld testify (and lie through his teeth) and respond to mccain's questions infuriated me.

IJ, i agree. the torture orders came straight from him and then he let soldiers (actual soldiers) take the fall. what a disgrace.