Cheney Pushes Senate for CIA Exemption

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 4, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

never thought i'd see anything like this: a sitting VP lobbying for torture. disgusting. nice ****ing "leadership."

2. tristan macrumors 6502a

I spent all day arguing that secret prisons didn't necessarily imply torture, and here he is directly advocating it. Cheney is truly the dark lord.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Anyone else reading that straight -- "We might need to do it in the future to prevent an attack."

Bull. That means they're doing it now and don't want to stop. Or they don't plan to stop no matter what and want to avoid prosecution.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What a bunch of doubletalk and spin, I remind everyone that Cheney is another Draft dodger who is part of the deferral gang that Bush has running things. Yeah, likeTorture is in our Constitution? what a sorry old bastard.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I can only hope that Cheney gets his exemption and is later, after things turn bizarro world, disappeared by the CIA and interrogated. Severely.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Again, it is extremely telling that the one Senator who has faced torture is against the US using torture in any way.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Though many of us knew their position on torture already, in my wildest imagination I could not have predicted that anyone in this administration would go publicly on the record as being in favor of it. Could they really be this tone-deaf? Or is Cheney just wobbling off into outer space now that he's lost his right-hand guy? Amazing!

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

indeed. so much of this game is reading between the lines, which is where i think a lot of disagreement on this board comes from, and suddenly it's spelled out plainly.

reading it made me feel like kaffee when jessep says he gave the order for a code red.

and, boy, would i like to see kevin bacon tell dick cheney he's under arrest. :)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry, I don't get that reference. Must be to a movie I haven't seen. ;)

Cheney's position left me completely agape. At this point I don't know how the administration can continue to make the case that their policies are in no way responsible for the torture of prisoners in Iraq. All of the dots are connected now.

10. toontra macrumors 6502

Exactly. When there is any doubt about the morality of the current US policy, if you suspect the worst you are likely to subsequently be proved right.

Just look at the other current threads "blast from the past" and "secret prisons". Read it and weep.

People like tristan give them the benefit of the doubt and have the rug pulled out from under their feet!

As has been said, this is as close as we'll get to an admission that, as some have suggested all along, the US (under the DIRECT INSTRUCTION of Cheney and Rumsfeld) have been, and are currently, involved in lawless incarceration and torture, AGAINST THE ADVICE of top current military generals, ex-heads of the CIA and almost the whole of the rest of the world.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Try this Nicholson classic with the memorable line "you can't handle the truth!" Oh sorry, didn't see the winking smiley.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have seen that one... but it's been awhile.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    I'm really trying hard to understand Cheney's motivation for going public with the torture exemption. Maybe he's hoping for something to retroactively protect his and Rummy's asses? I don't know...but it surely seems like amazingly poor timing considering the state of the war and this administration 's horrid poll numbers.

Maybe he just figures "WTF"...he's not running for anything after this term so why try to take the moral high ground when it's truly not his ethical persuasion. If that's the case, I expect to see him on CNN screaming "NUKE 'EM, NUKE 'EM ALL" in the near future.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Maybe it's unfortunately just a measured tactic to gain popularity for a flailing administration? As long as they provide the perception of taking a hardline to protect America's freedoms from mythical waves of terrusts....

15. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It's just my opinion, but I'm convinced these guys, by which I mean the neocons, are dyed-in-the-wool true believers. Not of a religious bent, but in the order of ideologues who have been swept down into their own personal rabbit hole and see the world in ways only modern day Alices could. They BELIEVED the Iraqi people would meet us with flowers! They BELIEVED they could remake the Middle East with a show of US military power. They BELIEVE that no treaties or international institutions should be able to curb their actions. And the sad, sad thing is they still BELIEVE in all of it.

A question for tristan. Sauron, Voldemort, or perhps a Sith Lord? Or are we talking biblical references here?:eek:

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And this is why we were arguing with you. Because it is a slippery slope. You meant well enough though.

Am I the only one who isn't really that shocked at all?

17. tristan macrumors 6502a

Well, I still think its a war of information (see the arrests in Australia today) but yes, I definitely don't like the idea of Cheney's goons manipulating that information and using it to torture people (see the U.S. servicemen arrests in Iraq today). So maybe you guys were right to oppose secret prisons based primarily on the administration not being able to handle the human rights responsibility that comes with imprisonment.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Road to Damascus is increasingly well-trodden.

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Unfortunately, for both the US and British governments, that phrase has a far too literal meaning than the biblical reference.

20. tristan macrumors 6502a

Sorry, didn't know I was persecuting you guys. :)

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, quite nicely loaded, I thought.
    :)

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

When has the government (under either party) proven themselves able to handle responsibility without accountability?

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Well, there was that week in 1942 when FDR was ... well ... heck, NEVER!
    ;)