Cheney Still Forecasts Collapse of Insurgency

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jun 24, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-cheney24jun24,1,2529745.story

Kind of makes you want to throe up...

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And in other news (in Cheneyworld), thousands of leprechauns have gone on strike and are demonstrating at the end of rainbows, complaining that rainbows are "too gay" and unfairly stereotype the leprechaun race.

Ahh.. Cheneyworld.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Haven't they said this crap before. Haven't they said that the insurgency is always in its last throws and that after the next milestone(provisional gov, election, constitution), they will give up? It's interesting that there is an element of truth to what they are saying. The insurgency has flared up before each milestone, and has subsided after each milestone--very temporarily. The US has not been able to achieve any sustained (more than a few weeks) drop in violence at any point. There have not been two consecutive months with fewer than 50 coalition casualties since 2003. I fact, since 2003, there have only been 2 such months.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh yes, I'm sure it's like spending the winter in Barbados, with digital cable in every room, nice golf courses, and evenings spent sipping pina coladas on the veranda.

As to the insurgency, well...what milo said.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I imagine this has occurred to a number of people, but just think about how much worse things would be if the Cold War were still on and the Soviet Union were funnelling arms to the insurgents. The casualty rate would easily be twice as high? Three times?

Actually, considering that no major power is aiding the insurgency shows just how bad things are going.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Saudi Arabia's pockets are pretty deep...

And how many corners can you turn before you're just going in circles?

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Saudis' pockets are deep, but I don't think they are shipping stingers over the border.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Once again, oozing with confidence.
    True - many would be treating them like heros, unfortunately.

9. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Yes, the viet cong are running for the hills! The Red Curtain is falling! Democracy will rein victorious over communis- wait, wait- What were we talking about?

In other news, Eurasia is now the enemy and Big Brother has claimed victory on the African front.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps i've got a dodgy understanding of WWII history, but by the time of the Battle of the Bulge, wasn't the eventual outcome of the european theater pretty well known?

and if cheney's going to cite heavy fighting as a sign of a nearing end, how does he justify reserving the right of one side over the other to claim victory?

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

depends: on the east i would have said 1944 "it was decided"
    but in the west: hard to tell... the axis lost a lot of material, soldiers,supply during the "Wacht am Rhein" gamble but the sher differences in numbers would have outweighted the german forces even if they were succesfull

the more decisive moment were a few months earlier when the Oberkommando denied the request from Rommel to transfer the 21 & 22 (?)Lehrabteilung to the normandy imediatly .. those two tank devisions could have changed the outcome of the invasion dramatically
    but it somehow prevented the red army from rolling to the atlantic ;)

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Apparently some of the folks on the ground agree with Cheney:

http://www.sftt.org/main.cfm?action...nKey=cmpDefense&htmlCategoryID=29&htmlId=2885

In part:

"Both the Tal Afar raid and the capture of Sharkawa occurred because ordinary Iraqis fed up with the terrorists' nihilist violence turned on them and told the U.S. military and Iraqi National Guard where they were.

As I noted last month ("Iraq Is Still Up for Grabs," DefenseWatch, May 19, 2005), a growing number of experts in guerilla movements and counter-insurgency operations have come to the conclusion that the loosely-affiliated fighters – including disaffected former Ba'athist regime officials, al Qaeda terrorists and criminal gangs – have blown the prime rule of guerrilla war: They have alienated the civilian population which Mao Zedong once described as the "ocean" in which the guerrilla "fish" swim. These two new events further underscore that assessment."

Ever since the random bombings began, I've wondered how long it would take before the general population quit being an ocean for these murderous fish...

Soldiers for the Truth is not a rubber-stamp group. Note also:

http://www.sftt.org/main.cfm?action...nKey=cmpDefense&htmlCategoryID=30&htmlId=2947

Hackworth coined the phrase "Perfumed Princes of the Pentagon". It's tragic that it has spilled over into the USMC, which hitherto didn't smell as sweet.

'Rat

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

simple damage control for what has become the gop's biggest blemish

14. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

But...I thought Oceana had always been at war with Eurasia?

I like the parallels to Okinawa and the victory in Japan. And I thought the Japanese surrendered because we up and nuked all those civilians?

15. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Maybe Cheney has something else up his sleeve then? Nuke the place and send robots in to get the oil.

But, does this sentiment permeate throughout the whole of Iraq. The country has always been divided into three ethic areas (shiite, sunni, kurd) and I am just curious if then is geniune dissatisfaction with the insurgency or ethnic politics at play. I mean, if Shiites feel that those carrying out attacks are Sunnis, then they aren't going to be very receptive to their activities.