cheney to o'neill: 'deficits don't matter'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 11, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This is an administration of denial. Nothing seems to matter that doesn't involve winning more power over the nation and the world.

Facts don't matter. Pollution doesn't matter. Mad cow doesn't matter. Deficits don't matter. Troop casualties don't matter. Debt doesn't matter. Osama doesn't matter. Unemployment doesn't matter. Trade imbalance doesn't matter. France doesn't matter. Europe doesn't matter. Weak dollar doesn't matter. Corporate scandals don't matter. No WMD in Iraq is immaterial. Before we caught Saddam, he didn't matter either.

What does? Repeated lopsided tax cuts, easing of corporate controls and orange alerts. And a few token right wing core issues like stem cells. And a few odd curveballs like the hydrogen powered car, AIDS in Africa and Martian landings to keep the plebes on their toes.

Reminds me somehow of The Holy Grail.

"I've cut off your arm"

"It's just a scratch!"

"You've ruined the country!"

"It doesn't matter. It'll be okay."

4. wwworry macrumors regular

pseudobrit, it's weird isn't it. I think the public does not care either. I think somehow people have become fearful enough that any questioning of the status quo is just too much to handle. There are even debates on energy conservation. How could anyone be against so beniegn an idea as energy conservation?

"These are good men doing a good job protecting our way of life." HA!

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Pardon my cynicism, but it seems to me that for both parties, winning the power has become more important than the overall "good health" of the nation.

Once in power, they then run around like a group of the proverbial "Little Dutch Boys", sticking fingers in holes in the dikes.

Damfino. I don't have an answer...

'Rat

6. wwworry macrumors regular

In congress, encumbents are re-elected at a 96% rate. They should give out free tv air-time to people who get enough signatures so as to lessen the effect of mis-leading useless 30 sec. campaign spots. Our government is being sold out to pay for worse than useless tv ads. The tv stations are on airwaves owned by the people. We sell out our government to pay for ads on airwaves we already own.

7. McToast macrumors member

Wasn't it Mussolini who described Facism as the coming together of the Goverment with Corporate power?

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, but he also made the trains run on time