Cheney to run in 2008?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

My heart skipped several beats upon reading this headline.

Denver Post

Aside from confirming my long held belief that Woodward has sold his soul to the devil, this is one of the scariest possibilities for the 2008 campaign.

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i wish he did.
    there is no way he would get elected

p.s. see, i still do have some trust in my fellow americans and their barely used brains

p.p.s. oh, and, i thought that the one selling is soul/conscience was cheney (when questioned about it he apparently quipped: "and good riddance it was! it was just being a pain in the *** anyways")

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

All the more reason for U.S. citizens to take their Ritalin and stay on task.
    X

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Cheney's probably did too, but it does that all the time.

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    some suggestions for his campaign slogan:

"we have found mobile biological weapons labs"
    or
    " the insurgency is in it's last throes"
    or
    " i predict we will be greeted as liberators"

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He's probably just needling Helen Thomas to see if she'll actually do it. He's unelectable himself. He's got all the charisma of a limp dishrag.

Vice President DeLay?

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

his to old( i just don't see it) and his views on gay marrage( from what he did not say, in a debate with edwards his only comment was " i support the president" ) would likly hurt him if he was pro-gay. Do you think his dauter voted for him even with him being wih bush and the gay rights thing? i would think she would but i do not know. I doubt any Republican could win, its a demacrats turn.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If the 2 people running for Pres are Dick and Hillary, I might be moving to Canada myself. I hear it's nice up there. Unless of course GW decides to invade you guys too.

9. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

My suspicion is that the internal GOP planning went like this:

1. (Summer, 2004) Cheney isn't going to run.

2. Kerry asks McCain to be his running mate.

3. McCain says "I'll think about it" and asks GOP why he shouldn't do this.

4. GOPers realize that Kerry/McCain is a scary ticket.

5. They offer to make peace with McCain after the Bush campaign's smear campaign in the primaries, saying that if McCain toes the line and backs Bush, he can have the nomination in 2008.

So Cheney won't run. It'll be McCain for the GOP in 2008.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You mean he'll actually come out of hiding? I'm impressed!

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I don't think cheney could make it #1 after the primaries.

McCain is the front runner in my book for the GOP, though NY has 2 GOP front runners in Giuliani and Pataki.

I hope Hillary wins the Dem side, she has the highest negatives nationwide of any candidate Rep or Dem. Her base is solid, but I don't think she can overcome her past any better than a Cheney on McCain would draw enough from the left to crush her.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, it could be Kennedy vs Swartzenager for all I know, 2008 is a bit away still.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

McCain running for pres in 08 wouldn't upset me at all. Even though I'm about as left wing as you can get, he's one of the few republicans who I could tolerate (not support; just tolerate) as president. But maybe I'm just saying that, because as of right now, anyone's better than bush.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

She worked in his campaign, so one would have to imagine she voted for him as well. Plenty of gay republicans out there. Check out the Log Cabin...

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What a strange assertion! Do you mean that you would rather have no effective choice but a Republican? Wouldn't you rather have the best possible choice of candidates from both?

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Maybe strange, maybe not, matters who appears that I am not aware of. Right now there is not a leading Dem candidate I would vote for, but there are 4 in Rep party I might vote for.
    If the Dems land Colin Powell then I would certainly entertain the idea, but don't see it happening.
    In the Republican corner I lean to McCain, Guiliani, and Pataki with a maybe on George Allen. These are all based on admittedly little research, I could be dead by then so I won't waste the time yet.
    I don't normally vote for the Democrat based on their party platform, there are certainly plenty of wonderful democrats, but I don't like the machine that will follow them. I am positive many here feel the same way about Rep.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not a good prognosis for American democracy, as it seems to make the candidate rather superfluous to the democratic process.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

i think you're a little late, cause you are somewhat correct.

the candidate does matter, but the party they represent matters too. In my opinion they are equal parts.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Um, there are the primaries. And Stu is completely right that there are plenty of people who'd never vote for a Republican. As a DC resident I don't get to vote very often, but I can't imagine I'd ever vote for a Republican presidential candidate. As for city council, maybe. But DC Republicans are a pretty different breed than most. They're more like conservative
    Democrats, considering the politics of the city.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sad state of affairs, but you had plenty of Democrats quietly cheering on Ross Perot knowing it would split the conservative vote. You also had Republicans campaigning for Ralph Nader, knowing his presence on the ballot could shave a few percentage points from Gore and Kerry.

It's why third parties are so discouraged in our winner-take-all system. If large numbers vote third-party you are basically insuring a victory for the opposing ideology.

The same principle applies to encouraging weaker candidates on the opposing side. Our primary system helps encourage this as well. You must appeal to the extreme of the country to placate the middle of your party in the primaries and then try to move back to the center to win.

For that reason we've not had a strong conservative challenger for governor in California in a while. Arnold, who was able to get in the back door, wouldn't have survived the primary fight without a bruising social conservative against him. Anyone who can win a Republican primary here can't win a general election because the GOP base refuses to send up a moderate candidate. Mayor Riordan would have been able to crush Grey Davis in a general election, but the GOP nominated a social conservative who lost badly. Which led to Arnold, but that's a different story. Point is, encouraging weakness in your opponents on an organized local-to-national level has a long tradition here. And in other places too I'm sure.

20. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Since he's the only dishonest politician out there...(although I don't agree with him)

It's generally not a good idea to disagree with your running mate when you're trying to get elected. I don't know which side I would vote for, because, frankly, in this day and age, I have to pick a person instead of a side. I have serious hesitations voting for Cheney though.

Assume all you want, I'm not posting this because I'm so right of center, but rather to take shots at both sides. Not that this applies to everyone (or even a majority) here by any means, but senseless bashing of one side or the other isn't particularly intelligent and degrades democracy. I just want people to be open-minded! Remember, I'm registered as independent...*covers head while clicking "submit" button* :eek:

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm registered Independent as well. Surmise all you want.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I would take Harry Reid over Guiliani any day. And what about Voinavich? Or Spectre? Much better choices. Good luck with most of them though. The Democrats vote for a liberal, the Republicans a conservative, and the rest of us are stuck with choosing the lesser of 2 evils. The only hope is for the independants and moderates to vote more in the primaries. Then maybe we can actually get a good candidate, let alone 2.

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Can't go with Spectre, but you know there is someone lurking out there still waiting to make the scene, so I have no real front runner yet anywho.

How about you? Got some in mind.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, other than the fact that he's dying, I like Spectre. McCain is the best bet. I know a lot of moderates and Democrats who are going to vote for him in the primaries just to get him on there and cancel out the neocons who want someone like Frist. But there are some other moderate Republicans who are unhappy with the way things are headed, but scared to piss off the base. Voinavich among them. Forget the other guys name. He was on the Daily Show. And no, NOT Rick Santorum.