Chess

Discussion in 'Community' started by grimmace, Feb 10, 2003.

1. grimmace macrumors regular

Apple Chess!! Drives me crazy! Anyone out there ever beat this?? If so, is your name Bobby? You'd have to be a MASTER... Geez, I thought that I was pretty good but THIS, THIS just drives me insane! :confused: :D

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

lol

Calm down! It's just a game! I'm sure it would be nice if Apple added more levels of difficulty, but it's free! Actually, I'd like for there to be eaier levels because I sometimes just want to play a short game.

It is certainly possible to beat a Mac at chess. My old Russian chess coach has never lost a game to it, and I occasionally beat it every now and then. Keep trying!

I remember the GNU Chess game on all of my older Macs....now that was a gem! Too bad it was a sore loser...everytime someone would beat it, the computer would lock up! lol :rolleyes:

3. grimmace thread starter macrumors regular

Re: lol

Of course it's just a game.. I haven't thrown my 12" out the window yet. This Chess on X is pretty good. Getting down to 3 pawns and a king just gets me a little upset. Try? That's all I have to do lately while sitting here at work. :p :D

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Screw Apple's version of Chess. Example of crash: Make a move and undo it before your opponent moves. Do this a few times and you have errors like you wouldn't imagine.

Get Sigma Chess.
    www.sigmachess.com

5. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

lol, how funny to see a thread about this tonight. my 3rd hour physics class is quite bored every day and so we use the macs in our library. and since our it people are dimwits the net is always down so we are stuck to local things, like chess. so they constantly play chess all five of them for an hour a day everyday. And NONE OF THEM HAS WON A SINGLE GAME YET!!!

lol they were so pissed at how hard it is to beat it so they downloaded a pc chess game and sat the pc next to the mac. then they set pc to black and mac to white and proceeded to pit mac chess vs the best pc chess they could find for free. when one moved, they simulated the move on the other comp and vice versa. The mac held the upperhand most of the game, while still maintaining a close and nearly perfect game. However, the mac broke down towards the end. It suddenly began to move rapidly and irrationally, giving up its last power piece (the queen no less) for absolutely no reason and then losing quite shamefully. You should have seen the pc freaks celebrating and hitting the poor mac. They actually hit the poor imac. And literally danced around the library chanting at how pcs are better than macs. I kid you not. It was quite sad to see.

the competing machines were a 500mhz dell piece of trash, and a g3 imac 500mhz with 256ram and cdROM. not exactly top of the line comps, but still decent. esp. the mac.

oh well, mac will win next time =)

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

hbahahaha thats hilarious, they hit the computer...oh man..hahaha...anyway i'm gonna get my butt kicked in chess now

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

man i love chess. i love playing people who are way furthher in the game then i am so that i can learn from them.. learn thier style etc. etc.

however this mac chess is a trip. i can never beat it.

its a pretty good player for a computer.

8. kenkooler macrumors regular

i have won once... out of more than a hundred times. This game is Apple's implementation of GNU Chess with a frontend, the engine wasn't made by Apple.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, chess annoys me too. It is soooooo hard to beat, I doubt
    I ever will, but there is no use in not trying ;).

10. grimmace thread starter macrumors regular

See, I knew that I was not the only one to get stumped while playing this game. i can download others, but why? I have to beat this one first. The PC/MAC challenge must have been hillarious. I cant believe that the mac had made a wrong move. I bet someone in IT mad the move somehow. Anyway, that would make a good commercial.

Anytime you want to get frustrated, just open apple chess.. Remember not to through your $2000+ laptop out the window though. Its only a game... A GAME OF WITS AND YOUR BEING BEATEN, HARD!! :D