Chevron says Gulf drilling a success

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by emw, Sep 5, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Interesting.

So, what does this really mean? It doesn't change the "peak oil" discussions, but it will be interesting to see the short term impact on pricing.

I almost put this in the political thread, but perhaps this can linger in current events for a little while at least.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sure prices will go up over the news - they always do. ;)

Seriously, though, this is very good news. Obviously, it'd be best if we reduce our overall dependence on oil, but a reduction in our need for imports is nothing but good news.

Edit: according to my calculations, 6000 barrels of crude per day translates to roughly 2 milliliters of gasoline per capita per day (assuming ~24 gallons of gas per processed barrel and ~300 million citizens). So... I guess it's almost literally a drop in the bucket. That's maybe ~60 feet of driving in an average vehicle here (per person).

3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I'm assuming that's a "test" number, not a live output number. Otherwise, at 6K barrels a day, it would take awhile to get through the 15 Billion barrels they estimate is in there.

Although, even at 15B barrels of oil (on the wall, 15B barrels of oil...), that equates to about 1200 gallons per capita, which isn't much, using the 24 gallons/barrel figure you use.

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Oh boy more oil spills and more rich people making even more money than I'll ever see in 10 lifetimes combined.

Well, I guess if it saves me 10 cents on a gallon of gas it's worth it. :p

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

:p True. True.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if this is good news. I was sort of looking forward to increases in petrol prices worldwide.

7. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

it doesnt even matter

the price of gas is not going to go down no matter what. i think if they found the center of the earth were made of oil the price still wouldnt go down. its going to reach a point of something like the US equivelant $8 a gallon, and then it wil become economically viable to drill it out of rock (oil shale). they do this in cananda. ( I apoogize for not citing exact locations whre i got this info, i learned it in geology a few years ago.)
    in any case, the only other thing would be some other source of power that gets adopted into every application. for example, if everything were nuclear powered, most everything would be very safe (other than to produce) and last unbelivable amounts of time. everthing. all batteries, everything can be electric
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/04/MNGIEKV0D41.DTL

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Here's one place to start:

http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

Other than that though, it isn't about finding more oil. It isn't about drilling into shale. It isn't even about making nuclear safe or building 3 kazillion wind turbines in the mountains of greenland. It's about changing the mindset- about eliminating the "American Way". The per capita energy consumption of westerners is waaay waaaaaayy more than this planet can sustain, especially with the global population increasing exponentially as it is. This may be too political, and this may just be repetitive banter you've heard before, but this is the undeniable fact that we're beginning to be forced to face.

There are signs of it everywhere- Food scarcity in Africa, population control in China, global climate change, steadily increasing energy prices, etc., etc. Humans are going to be forced to move out of the plastic/combustion/petroleum age and into a more eco friendly, lower yield, and naturalistic one.

Again, this may be just banter to you. This is not a political forum, and I do not want to spark any fires. Take it as you will, but it's my opinion. And finally, if this sort of thing interests you, I HIGHLY recommend reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

its so fraking stupid.

news of a war or hurricane will spike oil prices instantly
    and news of them finding a million billion tons of oil doesnt do anything.

buul-*****