Chevy or Ford

Discussion in 'Community' started by njstaffer, Sep 21, 2005.

1. njstaffer macrumors regular

Alrighty, here is the all American question:

Chevy or Ford and why?

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Ford. Because my wife is a Ford-baby (dad works for Ford).

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I bought the Ford, because Chevy didn't have a big RWD sedan at the time.

Heck I would probably have bought a Caprice or LTD wagon if they still had it.

Though Dodge is filling both of these niches right now, but I don't like the quality they have had lately. :(

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ford F-150

Just because...

Need to take a photo of mine, which is just like below in bulldawg red, except it has the step side and a nice "G" for the Georgia Bulldawgs on the front

Attached Files:

5. iGav macrumors G3

Ford. ;)

Reasons... well the Mustang and GT go a long way in supporting that argument. ;)

In the UK Ford has a reputation of building cars with the best driving dynamics this side of BMW, regardless of the class of car. The Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo whip all comers... ;) unless they're sporting the propeller badge of course. :p

However... in the UK Chevy's are old Daewoo's... :eek: hahahahahahahahahaha.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

First there was a Bud vs. Bud Lite thread...

Now there is a Chevy vs. Ford thread...

Am I missing something, or has MacRumors slipped to the shallow end of the gene pool?

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ford seems to be better in touch with reality these days....the Focus is one of the best small cars around, the new 'Stang is generally great (except for the live rear axle :rolleyes: ), and they have taken the hybrid car seriously with the Escape Hybrid SUV - 30/40mpg EPA in an SUV is a big deal. The Ford GT proves the US can build a world class exotic, and Ford has always been a little more willing to support racing. (LeMans, and even gave F1 a shot, though that was a failure...)

How can Chevy sell a front-drive V6 sedan and call it an Impala SS with a straight face? Somebody in marketing has a 4ft-long nose...too many of GMs cars are badge-engineered till they're pointless. And GM has an obsession with front-drive to the point of idiocy. The new Grand Prix GXP is a joke - 5.3L 303HP V8 in a front drive car? hello? Didn't the old FWD V8 Caddy STS teach you anything? At least Ford went with optional AWD on the big fat 500.

Chevy has a couple bright spots (Corvette, CTS, and the pickups are still competitive), but overall they've lost their way and the recent ad blitz with incentives and discounts underlines their desperation.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>Lord Blackadder

There would have been some new RWD platforms on the way, but (like Ford) they realized that trucks are where they are making their money.

Plus, they hadn't updated the trucks in years -- and it was showing in the sales.

So they canceled a bunch of platforms and shifted the money into updating the aging trucks.

Yay, increasing gas prices and they're looking at an aging fleet of cars.

But they will have some nifty new trucks to fight Ford with. :D

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It was big mistake to slash car development, as they are now discovering...Their trucks are a big source of revenue, but not enough to sustain the franchise by a mile.

BTW, just for everyone's info (in case you didn't know) - the Ford F-150 full-size pickup has been the best selling automobile in the USA for over a decade now. It has outsold every car, truck and SUV from every other manufacturer. Just a little factoid...

Where are your evil Sesame street avatars Sun Baked? I miss those, I was googling all over the place to find out where they came from....

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I must admit I'm a fan of the new Corvette Z06 - great value for the money. :cool: Otherwise, I always liked the old Fords - GT40, Mustang... Past that though, nothing from either company really gets me excited, so I don't really like either one more than the other - they are equally "bleh" for me. ;)

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Taking a break from the muppets for a bit, and everybody seemed to be going nuts for awhile.

Just look for "evil muppets" or "evil sesame street"

Edit: Forgot to say, I did make up a new Evil Kermit tar.

13. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Ford, all the way. Superior exterior design with vast improvements made with interior build quality.

14. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Which is mitigated of course by the fact that the GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado are exactly the same vehicle and combined easily outsell the F150. GM is doing jsut fine for itself.

Personally, unless I was looking for a truck I wouldn't by either in most cases, not for the kind of vehicle I'm likely to be able to afford and buy. Very little in either lineup does much for me, and after experiencing my saturn and its ecotech engine (the forerunner for the current 2.4 liter 4 cylinder GM is putting in just aoubt every low end car they make) and crappily built transmission, I think my next car will be a foreign car.

In fact, the only GM car I'd probably think about right now is a Saab. The 9-2x, whcih was a fantastic deal with the employee discounts they were offering (for those who don't know, its a Subaru WRX dressed up a little bit).

Ford's got the mustang though, and they did a bang up job on that in terms of performance and value on the low end. In particular, the rear of the car was spot on. I could consider that vehicle. So I'm gonna vote ford, given a choice between the two.

15. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Chevy. Like a rock man. Can't break 'em. I've tried. It's all I drive since I got my license. Except that brief week when I first got my license I drove an X-Terra. But yeah. Chevy all the way.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

<shrug> not particularly surprised, I was just pointing out the fact that the perennial #1 seller in the USA is a full-size pickup.

Avoid the 9-2X, it's $5,000 more and there is no difference other than the sheet metal and OnStar...just not worth it. Just get the Scooby, and spend the $5,000 on a Dual G5 with a 30" ACD. :D

I saw that...it's quality. :)

17. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I've owned multiple chevy's/gm's and multiple ford's and I will never buy a ford vehicle again. The build quality is just junk and feels cheap. They still haven't recalled all those f-150's for tossing rods? It's a known problem yet they won't do anything about it.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Where's quagmire?

I know this is the "all American question" but the two companies have a pretty big showing down in Australia too. Ford made a couple of blunders in the mid-to-late nineties (although they can be stemmed back further), particularly with the AU Falcon, and so most people here are GM (Holden) fans. The tables are turning though, albeit slowly.

I am personally a Holden (and therefore GM) fan but I fully recognise that the Ford equivalents have their merits. :)

19. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

That's what was so cool about the employee discount. The 9-2x was cheaper than the subaru for a while there (or very close in price, with a few extras thrown in, I forget exactly). Without the discount, I'd get the subaru for sure. My family has owned subaru's for years. We average 250k miles out of them, hardly ever breakdown. The shocks on one of them went 200k miles. That's quality, especially considering my parents got a good deal on them. Compare that to my saturn, which has less than 90k on it, transmission broke twice (plus living with a bum synchro on the 2nd gear at the moment), cracked cylinder head turned out to be a factory recall they didn't tell me about until I got stranded in oregon for three days, the cowl shake is getting horrible, warped rotors had to be fixed a while back with relatively few miles on the car at the time, plus the absolutley crappy build quality and general cheapness. I know my car is a bottom of the line vehicle, but a fully loaded saturn at the time would have ben nearly as expensive as my parents subaru, and it would be just as bad. GM lost a customer for life with that one, which as a shame because I was initially very loyal. I'm waiting for this car to die so I can justify the cost of buying and insuring a new one.

and yet surprisingly, Buick was the most reliable car on the road last year. How the heck did that happen.

20. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

neither one is the supreme king of suck, but if i had to choose one, i'd go chevy as lousiest, simply because Ford has one relatively nice car (Mustang) while Chevy has none (new Corvette is fugly).

21. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

**** cars. What about the trucks? You want a ***** little car, go to Europe. You want a big man truck, go to Chevy.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Ford is the lesser of the two evils and the Focus is a good car and the F-150 is a good truck but no thanks. Imported cars are for me. GM makes me laugh in a sad way.

23. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Chevy!

I prefer GM cars in general. As for Ford, the GT is awesome and the Mustang is nice. Everything else they have that's good is due to Volvo, Mazda and Jaguar (the Focus being based on the S40 / Mazda3, the 500 being based on the S70/S80, the Fusion being based on the Mazda6/Jaguar X-type).

It would be nice if we here in America could get the Holden Commodore imported (if not built) here. For a while I really liked the Calibra as well.

I wish GM could have put the axe to Buick instead of Oldsmobile. It seemed like they just stopped trying for a few years before "deciding" to drop the Olds division; it was a self-fulfilling manuever (its sales are down after we stopped trying so let's drop it). Olds could have sold rebadged Opels and Holdens and that would have been great.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, if you want a big man truck that gets 4 centimeters to the gallon, go with Chevy. Good ol American mindset. If it's bigger, it must be better. :rolleyes:

I'll stick with my "****** little car" that I can take to the grocery store down the street without having to fill up the tank 11 times.