Chewey needs a new home ASAP in the DC area

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, May 11, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Some may know of all the gory details about my recent life with my ex. Let me just say that there is a very innocent little boy, Chewey, a flat-coated lab/chow that needs a home soon.

My ex and his family "dumped" him on me this past Saturday. I say "dumped" only because they knew of my new life plans (already had an apartment that I leased after my ex left, that does not accept dogs over 15 pounds. Chewey is 80 pounds. Add to that with my retail work schedule this week, me and my boss have had to make adjustments till I can find a good home for Chewey (my being able to take a long lunch on my 10-9 work days).

You can find details about him at: http://homepage.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/Menu4.html

I am trying to work with rescue services in the area, but most do not have space available for anyone other than those that they save from a dog pound. I have had to set up a bed for him and me, as I move things to my new place, in the old TH. I have already delayed moving the big stuff by 5 days in order to us more time to find the right home.

At this point even a short term foster home might help both of us out. As many of you know already Chewey is the light of my life over the past three years. But the movers are coming in on the 20th, and the cleaning/painting crew in on the 21st now. I can not afford to keep both an apartment and TH going for long.

BTW, Chewey got his name from his Chewbaca noises when he came to bed, and crawled under the covers. Rest assured that I feel pain everyday I come home to him. He deserves more than I can give him at this point.

Any help, suggestions, or questions would be helpful at this point.

Chewey and I send warmest regards for you all reading this.

Chip

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Wow ... Sorry to hear that mate .... Rough seas you're going through. Can't help you unfortunately, relocated to Texas this week :( Hang in there Chip & Chewey

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if i lived in the DC area i would surely help out Chip, but being in Chicago there is not much i can do, but i did want to wish you and Chewy good luck in finding a home and i hope everything turns out for the best in the end. Hang in there and everything will pull through, good luck and best wishes as always

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Awwww, chip, Chewie is soooo cute. You continue to be in my thoughts, and now your little fella too. :( Sadly, I am nowhere near DC to provide the poor tyke a home.

5. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You are getting a woof and a tail wag from Chewey on this end. Though he tells me that he might not be a great fan of Texas. Summers here in DC are hot enough for him, he tells me. :) Though he did ask if Texas gets regular bouts of 3 to 6 inch snows. And he was asking if Florida ever saw anything less than 90 degree days and 65 degree nights. I told him he should be happy that he is back in the DC area. :)

We both send you warmest thanks (Chewey wants to give you a good "facial" loving - for when we go to bed he likes me from one side to the other for a good two or three minutes. He knows that I am trying my damdest to find just the right adoptive family for him).

Regards,

Chip and Chewey (woof!)

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have been reading the responses to Chewey so far. He just wants everyone to know that he is not opposed to some travel. He knows that I have taken lots of time off work to take care of changing my own home, but he just wants a place that will give him the same love I have given him.

He just wanted to say that his dream adoptive parents would have a nice yard to romp and play in, and would just love it if there was someone home during the day, even if it were a playmate of the K9 kind. An added bonus he says would be being able to go to a dog park so that he could meet new friends. Though he did ask me if I would forget him, and never ask about how he was doing. I said that if the situation was right - I would always be there for him.

To PlaceOfDis, he did ask me about Chicago. I told him about what I knew. Lots of flat land to run on, and very cold winters and mild summers (compared to our summers). He said that sounded very nice, and he wishes that he could visit sometime. But he said that he was just wanting to look out for me, as my guardian angle dog (as he did for my ex), nd to find a place that he can call home. He went on to say that he knew that I was doing it all out of love for him.

He'll miss his Greenies everyday. And the special treat of peanut butter at the first of the month, though he wonders what that hard "lump" in it is (don't tell him that it is his heart worm medication :) ). And the once or twice a week treat of Frosty Paws ice cream for someone just like him.

Well, he is yawning at this point. He is a bit tired of playing tug with his "daddy" earlier this evening. He is looking forward to pleasant dreams (his little paws move a mile a minute when he has had a good day, along with a the occasional "grunt of satisfaction".

he did ask me to ask all you kind folks one thing though. If you can not give him a home, please consider giving one of his "extended" family a place in your home and heart.

Good night from the both of us.

Edit:

He did want to add that he just loves being active, so it so very hard to get a "great" picture of him. That he does not have any ill feelings towards his "mommy" (my ex). He understands that God asked him to be extra special over the last year. in hopes that "mommy" might try to get better for all of us. He is just happy that "mommy" brought him back home to "daddy", so that he can make someone else as happy as he did for the two of us. (woof)

7. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry for the bump

Just wanted to first say thanks for the support here, but one can not blame me for trying to keep this thread on the MR home page listing.

Regards from Chip and Chewey

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm afraid I can't really offer any help (and I'm sure Chewie wouldn't appreciate the British weather anyway :eek: ), just wanted to extend my sympathies and wish you the best of luck in finding a suitable home for Chewie. I'm sure the whole thing is very heart breaking for you. Here's wishing you the best.

munkle.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I truly wish I could help or knew of someone who could. Were it not for the fact that I've got a daughter on the way in a month (or sooner), it would have worked out well for us, as my 4 1/2 year old wants a second dog, and my wife and I love dogs, and we have 2/3 acre - to be fenced in at some point soon. With a baby on the way, though, I can't. The Boston area isn't all that different weather-wise (a bit cooler), and our golden retriever would have loved the company - and Chewey would have just been an iChat away.

If you can think of any way the MR community could help aside from adoption, please let us know. I wish you the best - with this and with all the changes in your life.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Shoot, get him out to California and he can hang with my crazy lab/border collie mutt all day in the nice fenced yard. I wish I could offer more, I hate to see a loved animal forced out of his home and away from his parents...

11. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Unfortunately I can't take Chewey for you, but I just wanted to say good luck in finding him a good home.
    I was forced to give up a Siberian Husky and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
    Can't your sister take him, even just as a foster dog for a little while?

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

13. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Update

Many thanks for the warm thoughts and prayers.

Finding out that with Memorial Day approaching that this is the worst time to find a new home for my boy, Chewey. Though every rescue that I have tried is working their hearts out to try and help Chewey and me.

My sister is heart sick over all this too. She just lost here collie, Reba, last week. And now it appears that her mastiff, Barbie, may be having problems. Even without Barbies issues, Barbie does not get along well with other dogs than Reba. So her taking and fostering Chewey does not look good at this point, but who knows as time gets shorter.

Trying to stay strong here. Movers are coming in on the 20th. And I still have to work (big sale this weekend - so lots of lost time), and still have packing and minor cleaning to do.

Add to that Chewey has become more of his usual self. Came home for lunch and took him out for ball play. And when I got home last night, he was all over me giving me love. And then this morning he can't seem to be away from. This is just making it tougher on me. Saving grace, mentally for me, was that my ex called me yesterday with his updates - I really launched in to him about his lack of concern for Chewey. Not sure if he really cared, but it made me feel better. :)

14. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am sure he would love it!

LOL, I can't even afford to get myself to Baltimore, let alone finding away for Chewey to get to Cali. :D

You are really a great heart there, thanks for the support.

Chewey can feel the love from you and everyone else and sends his thanks.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

*BUMP*

Good luck finding your doggie a home. I have 2 dogs in Canada and it was so sad to leave them. When I leave them for a year (they're my brother's dogs, actually, and they live with my parents + brother), its like they don't even remember me or the regular routes we would take on our daily walks. And now that they're older, I'm actually afraid I'll never see them again. I know I know, it sounds sad, but dogs just don't live as long as humans, and my dogs are getting old. :(

Anyway, if I wasn't in Australia for the next 3 years (minimum) and I didn't live in Uni residence, I'd adopt him and even pay for the "shipping." :eek: Taking care of 2-3 dogs is probably only a bit more difficult than taking care of 1 dog. I can't even imagine owning just one dog.... :(

Good luck. Maybe ask your ex to take care of Chewey for a week or so while you search for a place for Chewey to live.

16. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Abstract, many thanks for the bump to keep this in front of eyes. You are a an angel, if you know it or not. :) It is the people like you and others here on MR that have helped me to keep balanced through all this.

Well need to head off to work, but not before Chewey and me head out for some quick play. Won't be back with him till about 9:30 tonite.

Thanks again....

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'll call my sister tonight... She's in DC, but she's in an apartment so she can't actually take him. If she's coming out this way anytime soon maybe she can give Chewey a ride although I'm not in any way sure that's possible for either you, him, or her at this point.

18. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Have you considered using Petfinder.com? We recently found our new puppy through the site; she was in a foster home. They have a classified section and info on shelters and foster care.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Very nice site, daveL - the section on Adoptable Pets is where you (Chip) would post an ad, and there might be shelters listed you haven't heard of yet.

Again, best of luck, and sorry that we're so far way, else I'd at least take him for a few weeks until the baby came. I truly hope a solution presents itself soon.

20. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I don't mean to take away from Chip's conundrum, but here's a pic of the pup we found through petfinders.com (no affiliation), she was in a foster home.

Attached Files:

21. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Friday night update (very long post) :)

Busy day at work. just got off with HART Rescue. The gal I have been talking to is doing her best to help Chewey and me out. Problem is foster space at this time with them, bad time of the year from what I understand. But one of my vendor reps (Olympus Camera BTW - wink, wink, nudge, nudge :) ) said that if push comes to shove, he might be able to foster Chewey. So there is concern from people I know, and have just met, as well as those of you here that are concerned for Chewey's future happiness.

I also sent Chewey's web pages to his doggy daycare provider (Happy Tails Dog Spa in Tysons Corner, VA on Tyco Road -shameless plug here). They are the ones that took Chewey in on Saturday at the last minute, and arranged for one of their employees to stay later in order for me to pick him up way after the normal pick-up time. They are featuring Chewey on their bulletin board, so that he might find a loving home.

With my limited time with work and all, Chewey and me have found time to keep each other happy. We go to his "private puppy park" - don't tell him it is the abandoned community tennis court - to play fetch with is tennis ball, or more to the point keep away. With him trying to keep the ball away from me. In the evening we have about ten minutes or so of tug with one of his toys. He seems to realize that Daddy has things to do. So he gets the loving he wants, and then lets me do what I need to. I know that he would like more, but he seems to understand the situation. I will end up missing so, when all is said and done.

To specific posts:

Mactasic - you and Abstract are angels to me and my gal at HART. I have talked about you all here on MR, and she said that she has never heard of an online community with such love and compassion for each other (of course except for animal resucue sites :) ). To be honest I have only one real concern about flying Chewey anywhere (other than the airline horror stories), and that is the panic and separation anxiety that he might suffer from the flight.

It took several days for Chewey to get over his homeless situation in Florida, once he came back to me. He did not act out, but he ate little (now improved - like I have said he is self feeding and not overweight). And he had little interest in the things that he once enjoyed with me. Though when he had the chance to interact with other "friends", he seemed to be OK. But when he got to have alone time, he just wasn't interested. That is now changing day-by-day to his usual self.

What is missing is our morning or evening play in bed. He still gives me my "facial" at night (the licking of my total head); but he does not stay in bed with me till I doze off - like he used to. He does still go off the to the top landing to protect me as i fall a sleep. But he has not yet gotten back to wanting to play under the bed covers yet. And making his "Chewbaca" noises at the same time. I miss that, and hope that before I find a new home for him that he will grace me with that joy. For that is one of the main things missing in our being reunited.

JSW and daveL - The couple of rescues that are working hard on Chewey's behalf have siad that since my time is so split between all of Chewey's and my needs (not enough time in the day with placement issues, moving prep, home sale prep, and work) and teh short window of time, that petfinders.com might be the best solution at this point for me. If my ex had been honest with their issues, and if I had a few more weeks of time, then it might have worked out better for petfinders.com.

If you think otherwise, let me know. I will take a look at the site after I finish this post (which by the way was done between rescue calls).

Again many thanks from Chewey and me for all the love and support from all of my "extended family" here on MR. I am getting the feeling that Chewey would like to learn more about computers at this point. he has been at my feet wondering about all the phone calls and typing. :)

You all have brought me much hope, joy, and support during some difficult times. Now and in the past. I feel as if I come off as this person with a perpetual dark cloud over his head. I like to think that I am not. I am trying to think that after 10 to 11 years of relative happy bliss, that I am being given a dose of reality by the Man upstairs. And with my upbringing, that this all plays some part in His master plan for me.

I will say that it has given me a renewed sense of pride in humanity. And at the same point has brought me closer to my religious upbringing, and the belief in a loving and caring God.

22. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not all!

She looks so lovable! She melts my heart with just this one picture.

So glad that she found a loving and caring home. So glad that she found some angels that saw something in her that others did not, or were unable to provide.

You raise a good point, and that is that if I could find a foster home, then lots of pressure would be taken off of me at this point. HART did say that if my vendor rep/friend would take Chewey in, and I agreed to bring Chewey to their adoption days, that would help them out greatly. It would also allow me a healing process to make sure that Chewey was placed in to a new loving and caring home. So this gives me new hope that Chewey will be taken care of in the end.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Chip-I would seriously try to help you out if I lived nearby. This is such a shame. I mean, you've been through so much already. Trust me, I can relate to your situation, but at least we didn't have an animal. It's so hard to break up and then to have this happen-I hope it gets better soon and you find a home for Chewey.

BTW- I say we all keep this thread going til Chewey finds a home! :)

24. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler