Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Is it supposed to be chewy? Cause I just cooked some and compared to white rice it's not as soft. I probably cooked it wrong. It said 30 mins until water was absorbed, but I tried it and it tasted uncooked. So I cooked longer. Maybe I cooked it too long? I dunnno.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Uncooked as in harder than normal?

Brown rice is harder because they don't remove the fiber part sometimes. Better for you, and good for cleaning out the internal plumbing.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It will be firmer and should take 30 - 45 minutes to cook. Yummy though.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
with the absorbtion method pre-heating is terribly important (as with risotto) - fry it first for 5 mins or so until the rice is hot to touch (with salt and spices of your choosing), then add 1.25x boiling water (a bit more for brown), cover, turn to extremely low heat for 15-20-25 mins (for white-red-brown rice), then turn the heat off and leave it covered for the same amount of time, open, fluff and serve. Infallible, perfect rice.

Cheese

macrumors 6502
I agree with ol' Chundy, brown rice is tasty. I think it is a bit chewier than white rice, or often not as fluffy. There seems to be a bit more substance to the alternative colors and varieties. I enjoy the aroma of brown rice enough to forego any chewiness, as long as it is not reconstituted back to it's dried state. Brown rice and Guinness. Now that's good eatin'.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
frankblundt said:
with the absorbtion method pre-heating is terribly important (as with risotto) - fry it first for 5 mins or so until the rice is hot to touch (with salt and spices of your choosing), then add 1.25x boiling water (a bit more for brown), cover, turn to extremely low heat for 15-20-25 mins (for white-red-brown rice), then turn the heat off and leave it covered for the same amount of time, open, fluff and serve. Infallible, perfect rice.

Wow, umm thanks for the detailed instructions. That's what I do with Rice O Roni. That's always comes out good.

I guess I cooked it right I guess. I think I put to much butter in there, but I was just following instructions. It tasted too buttery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.