Chicago Auto Show: 2008 Pontiac G8

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quagmire, Feb 6, 2007.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Based on the Holden Commodore and the new global RWD platform Zeta, Pontiac moves one step into its revitalization. It comes with a 261 HP 3.6 V6 and a 362 HP 6.0 V8 with AFM( Active fuel Management). The 3.6 V6 is mated to a 5 speed auto and the V8 is mated to a 6 speed auto. A 6 speed manual will be offered later after production starts. Production is along its Commodore sibling in Australia( Note: It will move to NA eventually and possibly at GM's Oshawa plant in Canada). What you see is pretty much the production version. Besides some things like the 20" wheels, the interior trim color, etc.

[​IMG]

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/07/introducing-the-pontiac-g8

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It looks quite a bit similar to the CTS. I forget if that's built of the Zeta platform as well...
    I should try to find out more this 3.6L V6 GM uses, because there was one offered in the 2004 Rendezvous rated at 245HP, more than the 3.8 in my mother's LeSabre (200). Granted, the LeSabre has EPA estimates of 20/29 (compare that to my Impreza's 23/29) versus 19/26 for the 3.4L Rendezvous.

Guh, I'm rambling. Time for bed.

3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

damn sexy... i reckon the one based on the HSV Coupé looks better, but the VE basis looks awesome.

if you like that, check out these V8 supercars; all are less than $AUD100,000, and so much better than the competition. 0-100 km/h (or 60 mph if you swing that way) in just under 5 seconds, 6 litre V8 pushing 307kW (or ~412BHP)... brilliant aussie engineering :D

EDIT; damn GM pump out some awesome wheel designs... unlike phord... :p

5. iGav macrumors G3

You mean all the bits that make it look cool? ;) :p

Hardly. :p 68BHP per litre, that's only on a par with the typical lazy arsed yank approach to building an engine. :p

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

What is this I see? An American car that hasn't been designed with a ruler? Someone from Europe must have designed it...

7. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

The CTS is built on the Sigma platform exclusive to Cadillac. The new CTS is built on Sigma II. The 3.6 V6 is getting used in more products to cheapen the cost. It was first in the CTS. Then it went into Buicks in FWD form. Then in the Aura XR and the new Malibu. It has been a pretty reliable engine. The 3.6 V6 with Direct Injection in the new CTS produces 300 HP.

The Aussies engineered the platform and the car. Europeans didn't touch it. :p

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not an American car, well apart from the bits in it and the platform etc.

It's an Aussie car, the current (2006) Holden Bomb-adore which was the result of a A$1bn (that's a billion) project to design a brand new Commode-dore.

Looks like an HSV GTS Common-dore with a different bumper and intake and those damned bonnet scoops... :mad:

The GTS:
    [​IMG]

Actually on second look it looks like the much milder SS Commodore:

[​IMG]

9. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Well it probably would of been cheaper if Holden wasn't engineering the platform for global use, the car for global use, and that the Commodore was a vital vehicle in Australia. They needed to get it right. But, I suspect the global intentions brought the cost up the most.

10. iGav macrumors G3

What the... :p :p :p

The Pontiac version is more visually sophisticated than both the above IMHO. More aesthetically restrained than the former, and with subtle detailing that illudes the banality of the latter.

It's not a bad looking car. Not a bad looking car at all. :)

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Eh?

Draw a line from the top of the wheel arch, up the forward 3/4 panel, across the bonnet and back down on the other side.

Everything rearward is the same, the only real changes are up front. Now I'm no fan of the "massive flat airdam" look going around but I realise it stems from the new pedestrian safety design regulations. I just think it makes the car look too much like it's been slapped in the face with a 2-by-4.

The GTS is of course, ugly as sin as it's always been, it's cheaper more popular cousin the HSV Clubsport actually looks quite good, closer to the G8 in appearance but a little rougher round the edges as HSVs have always been.

Meh, it's a Holden :rolleyes: who cares?

12. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Typical Pontiac, taking an interesting shape and cluttering it with too many lines and corners. The funny thing is that the only recent Pontiac that was remotely sleek was that "GTO" that was also built in Australia.

Someone remind me again why the Pontiac name still exists? (Or Buick, for that matter?) Does anyone besides domestic brand apologists think Pontiac is really a performance brand?

13. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

:confused: :confused: The only difference in the G8 is the front end with the Pontiac grill and scoops. Everything else is pretty much Commodore still.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

GM should of dropped the Buick line and Kept the Olds line. They should merge Saturn and Pontiac, And really make the Caddy the high end it used to be.

15. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, merge two brands that are completely different from each other. Pontiac being RWD and low volume and Saturn being FWD Euro styled being the third volume brand of GM( Chevy, Cadillac, Saturn).

16. iGav macrumors G3

I'm well aware of the fact that everything behind the A pillar is the same, thanks. ;) :p

But... and I digress, the design of Pontiac is better resolved than that of either of the other too, with a more subtle attention to detailing. At least IMHO anyway. ;)

17. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I meant drop Pontiac and Buick entirely the way they did Oldsmobile. I don't think they add much to GM's lineup.

18. russed macrumors 68000

russed

am i looking at the same car as you? it looks VERY bland!

19. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Pontiac and Buick as they are now yes, they don't add much. But, in the future Pontiac at least has a purpose. Cheap RWD performance. The G6 and G5 looks like they will be going RWD in the future. Nothing is set in stone and things can change, but from what I am reading at a GM forum I go to Pontiac's lineup is going RWD. Buick though I am not so sure. I mean the Enclave is a nice CUV. Buick is going for affordable luxury. But, I am not so sure that Buick can shake its image. If Cadillac can, I guess Buick could too, but it might be too late.

PS: that response with the merging was aimed at MacNut.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The one thing that I always wondered about was why drop Oldsmobile and keep Buick. I thought Olds was the better brand name. With regards to Pontiac and Saturn, Aren't they in roughly the same price range. Don't they kill each other in the market.

21. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

You can't really judge an engine by just calculating horsepower per 1L of displacement. There is also torque, fuel consumption and the actual weight of the engine that comes into play as well as making the engine reliable and fairly quiet.

22. iGav macrumors G3

Indeed. But I'll still take a 100+BHP/Litre V8 or V10 from the likes of Audi or BMW over the the yanks stuborness to stick to the archaic pushrod, thanks. ;)

Are you mad? A performance engine should make a glorious noise. Have you heard Audi's V8 or BMW's V10 on full song... makes an LS2 sound like a truck. ;)

23. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

There is nothing wrong with the OHV design. Two things: A) The ICE is archaic itself. B) OHC is actually older then OHV. I will take a 7.0 V8 making 505 HP over a 5.0 V10 making 500 HP. Two less cylinders needed. Let alone DOHC V8's of smaller displacement is actually physically bigger then the LS7. Let alone the LS7 is pretty fuel efficient. Hell, GM's OHV V8's are one of the most fuel efficient V8's. Then there is the 3 valve design coming and Direct Injection possibly as well. As I said there is nothing wrong with OHV engines.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Why can't they sell it with a manual right away? :mad:

Toyota did that with the IS series (auto-only at launch, manual offered later), it was silly then and is silly now with the G8 - you can't make a sedan with sporting pretensions if you only offer an automatic.

Compared to most American sedans the styling is reasonably tasteful and sporty, although those wheelwells will look a bit over-large with the 17" wheels likely to be standard on the production model.

Fuel economy is sure to be crap, like the Charger/300C. How much will it cost I wonder?

25. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

yea!! another POS 4door car. woo hoo

i cant stand 4 door cars or hatchback cars. cant any automaker build a nice 2door car?