Chicago bikers!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by livingfortoday, Oct 10, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I need a favor from someone with a bike in Chicago. My girlfriend is coming down from Minneapolis this weekend, and I would love to be able to go on a ride with her along the lake front path (assuming the weather cooperates), problem is, I only have one bike (mine).

What I need is to borrow a bike from someone from Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon. I know, I know, this sounds shady, but I'll offer $30-$40 as collateral or whatever you need just to assure you I'm not just going to ride off with it. I don't need a nice bike, just something with two wheels and a seat. And handlebars, maybe.

I don't have a car, so it'd help if you lived near the el or the Metra. I live in Hyde Park, btw. If you could PM me I'd gladly give you my phone number and we could set something up? Hopefully? My only other option is to buy a crappy bike off of craigslist and then try to resell it, but I'd rather just borrow one!

Thanks!

2. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

why don't you try calling some local bike shops and rent one from them?

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, no store around me rents bikes out like that. The cheapest I've found will still run me $10 a day, and is decently far away, so I'd have to keep it overnight in order to have it for her. I mean, i'm sure we could go rent a bike, bring it back here, and then ride it, but seeing as she's only here a bit over two days, I'd rather have it all ready to go and not have to spend time hunting for bikes with her.

4. frances macrumors newbie

I doubt anyone would allow use to use his bike.

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, that's why I'm asking. In the hope that someone will.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Here is a place that rents bikes and is right at the lake shore (Navy Pier or Millenium Park) so you won't have to go far to get it. Since you're coming in on the train (I'm assuming) it will also be one less bike to cart along.

You can also reserve online, so it will be waiting for you when you get there. It should be a nice weekend to ride, so have a good time!

7. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, I managed to borrow a bike. Thanks all.