Chicago bound for a 60 hour trip, must see/do's?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chip NoVaMac, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hotel is booked: Days Inn at Deversy and Clark

Flights are also booked: Arriving ORD at 9:30AM on Sunday Oct 16th; departing at 3:00PM on Tuesday Oct 18th.

Details: Have no car. In fact I am planning on taking the Blue and Red line trains to the hotel. Never been to Chicago. A real photo buff for "street photography" and architectural photography. Like the off-beat, but also enjoy museums (technology and the photographic arts). Love smaller restaurants (like the Pork Shop Cafe in the Haight area of SF). Plan on buying a CTA "Visitors Pass".

Maybe it would help to say, if this was going to be my only visit to Chicago (and I don't think it will be); what should I do and see given my location and time in this city - in order for me to feel as if I have "seen and done it all"?

I should say that I am not opposed to getting just 5 to 6 hours contiguous hours of sleep each night.

Thanks for the help.

2. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Well the city itself is beautiful so you won't have any problems taking pictures... of course the Sears Tower, the Hancock Building Observatory might be a good place for some aerial shots. Soldier Field, Wrigley Field, Comiskey Park (but that's not really in downtown Chicago) and of course Navy Pier....for museums Chicago has the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, an Art Museum, and the Shedd Aquarium just to name a few (or maybe that's all of them, what do I know) .... remember to stop by at the Apple Store on North Michigan Avenue :D

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks for the tips. I think I am looking for the opportunity to try and capture something "different". So much of what you mentioned I heard of. Just trying to make the best of my 60 hours in Chicago.

I guess I am looking for the "must sees". You know, if this was the only trip in, what should one "must" see.

Though if I can find myself to the Apple Store there, that would be great. I had been to the SF Apple Store at least two times in my trip this past July.

4. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

In addition to the previous post:

1.You can get a gorgeous shot of the skyline at Oak Street Beach. Get off the red line at Chicago.

2.The Art Institute is probably the second best known art museum in the U.S. after the Met. That might be worth a half day.

3. Take a stroll down Michigan Ave. in downtown - the "Miracle Mile." It's probably the most central landmark in Chicago.

4. Recently-built Millenium Park in downtown is very picturesque.

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

A heap of caffine

Chip, If I was you and in Chicago for 60, I'd plan towards no sleep at all. Not saying that you shouldn't plan on 'not going to bed' though. Have fun, and say hi to Lee for me.
    Kevin,
    aka Grey Beard

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL! I guess this trip is an exploratory trip. See as much as I can, and come back for some more later.

Also looking at this trip as the first step in deciding on whether Chicago is a place that I can hang my hat permanently.

As to going to bed, I think 5 hours a night will be plenty. Not quite ready for 24 to 48 hours non-stop. Do have to go to work on Wednesday morning. And with the hotel being in the Boystown area, it should be fun.

I will give Lee your best. Take care.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good god- where to start? Let me tell you this- I've lived here for 13 years and have probably only seen half of the city. Check out the neighborhoods chip. See Millennium Park downtown and then spend time in the neighborhoods. No real Chicagoan goes downtown much anyway, we handed it over to the tourists years ago. :) You'll like Boystown, but you must come a bit further north to Andersonville. It's another gay 'hood but it has MEN, not boys. :) That's where I live too. I have a motto- if I want to get laid, Boystown. If I want intelligent conversation, Andersonville. :D

If you want to see a cool museum- go to The Museum of Science and Industry. It's a very cool museum on the South side- the only one left from the World's Fair in th 30's.

8. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Tempted to see "Sunday in the Park with George" if it is still in Chicago. Though I may save that for one of my longer anticipated visits to Chicago.

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Come and stop by my place. I'll show you my new furniture, take you to a few bars, then roipe you into my underground gambling circuit.

10. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hey, I can make Lincoln cry (by pinching my pennies). :D

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The World Columbian Exposition was in 1893. :)
    Even if you miss the play, you can catch one of the subjects of the first act.
    [​IMG]

12. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Oops, my bad. But piece by piece, I'll put it together....

13. iGary Guest

iGary

Miracle Mile is a must.

I hope you have fun, Chip!

I'm usually in Chicago for the marathon every year this time, but not this year. :(

*sad*

There's a great German restaurant we ate at, but forgot the name...I'm sure someone can tell you the name...

14. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I was shooting part of a documentary about marathon runners this past Thursday through Sunday. It was the first big-time road race I'd attended.

Was it Berghoff's?

15. iGary Guest

iGary

I miss it horribly. Bah.

Yes, Berghoffs - that was it!

Chicago is an awesome marathon, not as good as NYC....blargh. I'm gonna cry.

Definitely go to Berghoff's, Chip. :D

And definitely the Apple Store - AMAZING!

16. dxm113 macrumors member

Berghoff.

If you're into Architecture, check out the "Architecture River Tour" that starts at Navy Pier.

GET A CITY PASS! ! You'll save a ton of money on doing "touristy" things

17. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I second that! And you can plan your trips using this handy dandy website. You can also create an itinerary over the phone at (312) 836-7000.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I feel like a jerk but....It's The Magnificent Mile, not The Miracle Mile. :eek:

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, I'm a touron. :p

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Lots of good stuff, Mich Ave is a must of course, and there is my favorite Apple store there too.

Food is awesome, ate a great steak at Mortons and an awesome dinner at Wildfire in wonderful schaumburg was outta sight! Gained 5 pounds in town last week.

If you want it they got it! Have a blast!

Oh yea a pizza at Gino's is a must as well

21. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In some ways I am afraid, with all the comments I have gotten on how great a town Chicago is. :D

But then again I maybe ready for "changes in latitude, changes in attitude".

Any good Polish restaurants that you all know of. Lee and I are supposed to do dinner on Sunday night. Is Bergoff's far from the Deversy and Clark area? Also I plan only on jeans for the trip in, packing very light for this trip.

{EDIT: I did find two Polish Resturants:

Podhalanka
    1549 W. Division St.

and

Red Apple
    3121 N. Milwaukee Ave

Red Apple appears to be a buffet. Podhalanka may be better able to fix my meal the way my Babchia would have made.}

Better then the "Mother Ship" in SF near Market. That place was awesome!

22. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Get White Sox tickets now! While you can!

See them in the playoffs!

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

It's OK with me, I did that in the political forum last year and was eatten alive by zim and company. :rolleyes:

Hard not to call it that, aint it! :p You have a fun town there, enjoy the Magnificent Miracle Mile.

24. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thought about the City Pass, used in SF this summer, but I will be in town for such a short stay this time - don't think it is worth it. Maybe for longer stay next year. I do plan on getting the CTA 3 day pass (hope they sell them at the ORD CTA terminal on a Sunday)

Thanks for the CTA sight. Found their trip planner there already. It was helpful in knowing that the hotel was well located, transit wise. Will keep the number handy for when I am in town, not sure that I will bring the PB. Will have to do a test to see how that site works with my Treo 650.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just for the record- I HATE the Berghoff. BAD German food. I actually regurgitated a bratwurst the last time I was there. The interior is gorgeous though, so go for a drink. :) Visit to the Lincoln Square neighborhood for good German food.

As for Polish, my favorite place, The Busy Bee was closed so yuppies could have a sports bar. The Red Apple is good chip, but I can't say I've been to the other place, but it's probably good. That address is in Ukrainian Village. I would go for it.

Just got this from a friend on the south side:
    http://www.szalasrestaurant.com/

He says it's great, so if if you're up for a South Side adventure, go for it.