Chicago skyscraper would be nation's tallest

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sirus The Virus, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Link I've always been interested in sky scrapers. This the most interesting skyscraper event in my lifetime so far.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I gotta say, I really like Calatrava's work. The combination of architecture and architectural engineering can lead to some beautifully unorthodox structures. I mean, who else incorporates torsional loading into their designs deliberately?

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Beautifully impractical.

Beautifully socio-economically irresponsible.

But beautiful.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well mine's bigger than yours! :rolleyes:

There really is no need for these things any more.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

As an Engineer, I appreciate it from an architectural point of view, yet the practical side me me cries out, "Why?!?" :confused:

Ah well, let them build it - and then let them have fun leasing it (along with the Freedom Tower) - good luck. :cool:

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Yeah, who actually wants to work in a skyscraper anymore? Sure they're fun to go up and look out from the observation decks, but after a while I'm sure the view gets old.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I think the design is beautiful. Be nice to see how it would actually look in real life.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

2000 - 1458 = 542.

Hmm, the 542' spire on top is pretty worthless, makes it impressive looking but seems to be a waste. It's a nice looking building though. I am not sure if the article means to say that it is the second highest building in the world, not just the country, as it will beat the Sears Towers.

Cheap shot by Donald Trump though, height alone is not a factor, symbolism was the reason why the World Trade Center was chosen.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I for one would be first in line to buy a piece of the "sky" if such buildings were made affordable for the working stiff (units selling for under $250K for a one bedroom).

I love the design of this building. Just wish we had more innovative designs in the US, as it seems that Europe does.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

There are two or three buildings in the world taller than the Sears Tower, and another one under construction which will leapfrog all of them.

http://architecture.about.com/library/bltall.htm

That link doesn't show the tower they're building in Dubai which is supposed to be complete in 2007 and have a total height of well over 2,000 feet.

edit: another link, this one with only existing buildings:
    http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/tp/wo/

12. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Well sure, if it were that cheap to live downtown I'd be there. Around here to get a 1 bedroom condo... well you don't want to know! :eek: Unfortunately it'll probably be vastly over priced as it would be the tallest building in the US. An interesting note, when multi-storied buildings were first developed the lower floors were considered prime real estate, with the higher up floors the less desirable. Now it's the other way around. Interesting that one invention (the elevator) changed all that.

13. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The background on this is that before September 11, 2001, Trump had been planning to make his development here taller than the Sears Tower. Trump's comment is more about sour grapes - maybe his investors were the deciding factor in shortening his building. Besides, of course, such a building would be tough competition for his, as the proposed building is in a much better location.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The 2000 foot proposed tower for Chicago is very impressive looking. The artist rendering has a very unique look, gives an upward mobile appearance. :cool:

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I wish the design included the spire though, it's a nice looking building until you get to the spire. Bauhaus, at one point, moved to Chicago to avoid the Nazis in Germany and ended up influencing a lot of architectural design there. If they still have a presence, I hope that they are considered. I am not sure if they are still around or not though. Their innovations in design when it came to form and function were well ahead of their time.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

would be interesting to see this go up, there have been a lot of condos put up around Navy Pier as it is, and this would only add to it, would be nice to be able to afford a unit though.... its nice to have the Sears Tower in view as you drive toward downtown, but some more innovative and fresh scrapers wouldnt be bad either in my opinion

17. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

CNN got it correct; it says "nation's tallest," and then mentions the world's tallest skyscraper in the 6th paragraph.

There's way too much Bauhaus here (my opinion). It's great to see other styles go up.
    I agree. I have a view of the Sears Tower and the end of Navy Pier, plus Lake Michigan, out my window. It's nice.

Something about a lot of these luxury condo buildings downtown though, is that the association dues that owners have to pay is almost as much as what "regular people" pay as rent each month, and on top of that they have to pay property taxes each year. High-rise city living is costly, even if the price of entry is relatively low.

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Yeah, I misread. I like Bauhaus though, and the twisty shape of the building seems to fit the windy city well.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

:) i am afraid you're out of luck.
    it's a super-luxury building with relatively few apartments, designed by one of the world leading architects.
    if they do build it they will go for a cool $5-7.5 M per apartment

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I should add that IF I won the big Power Ball lottery, I would have no hesitation in going in to any of these new skyscrapers either. Life is too short not to enjoy it to the fullest!

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I know. :(

It is that we as a nation are getting close to a disparity in major cities of those that can own and those that can't.

I assume that for $5 million or so that will get you maybe 5,000 sq. ft. of living space. All I want is a mere 800 sq. ft.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't like it. I was just in Chicago driving down Lake Shore Drive on Sunday and it just seems as though it would be out of place. Especially being tall, twisted and skinny. Doesn't seem to fit the city of big shoulders....

D

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I hear you. even if it was given to me for FREE, I still couldn't afford it.
    (maintenance fees, taxes, staff christmas bonus :eek: )

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Have not yet been in the city itself yet. But my flight yesterday morning too me over the city proper. I can see this as a positive. I was on the right side of the plane, and had clear view of the Hancock and what is left of Meigs Field.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL!

I was hoping for no more that $120 in condo fees. As to the Xmas "staff bonus", they better well earn by doing more than their job. When is the last time you tipped your "retail" worker?