Chicken Little

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So has anyone scene the movie yet? It seems it out did expectations even though the reviews got panned....

D

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

$40 million B.O. Ugh.

Let's see what next week's B.O. take is. If the drop is more than 50%, then the movie really does suck. Heh.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not yet, but I plan to.

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its sort of do or die for Disney with this film - and it will be sad if it does such a good job at the box office when the movie is crap. I might go and see it, we'll see. I'd like to hear more reviews from members.

D

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Planning to take the four year old to see it next weekend. User reviews on Yahoo and imdb don't all seem quite as negative as the critics.

B

6. qzak macrumors 6502

i took my 8 year old nephew to see it on friday night. he loved it. i liked it. not as good as Pixar, but no one is. I wouldn't go see it again or rent it unless i was taking the other nephew or something. Pixar films on the other hand, i own every one.

Disney definetly needs to keep a deal with Pixar I think.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I feel like I should want this movie to do poorly because if it does poorly then all the better for Pixar... but in reality I have no real reason to not want this movie to do well, no one is hurt by a good movie.

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, if it does well, it just ups the ante for Pixar - although the worse off it does, the better Pixar is to make a good deal with Disney. I hope it does well enough to turn a profit for Disney, but not too good to make things tough for Pixar.

D

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that it looks interesting, but I don't know if I'll go see it. None of my friends seem interested, and I'm not going by myself.

If it tanks, I think I'm going to pour some money into Pixar stock. If Steve is looking to sell, and Disney's brand-new 3d studio bombs out of the gate, I think that it ought to increase the marketing value of Pixar, and thus have a positive effect on it's stock.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Served as a good excuse for my friend, who later snuck into Saw 2. Punk kids...

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The story of Chicken Little is pretty vapid. I mean, who doesn't know the story. There's so little to go on that to stretch it out to 80 minutes, they'll need to a lot of filler, much like in Madagascar, where the movie was filled with lame Chris Rock antics, but it appeals to kids, but parents are probably snoozing off in the theaters.

Pixar movies always appeal to both kids and grown-ups and I think that is the secret to Pixar's success.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm gonna pass.

The novelty of computer animation is starting to wear off on me... originally, I'd see any CGI movie, because the budgets were so high that a good story was an absolutely necessity. But now that more and more of them are being released, we're starting to see some crap (e.g., Shark Tale) CGI movies. I saw Madagascar, but am not buying the DVD.

Chicken Little is what happens when you give a bunch of story hacks like Disney access to new tools. They need to refocus their efforts on good stories FIRST.

13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Absolutely agree that stories should come first. I want to add though, that I didn't see Shark Tale, but it made a fortune. ($306m worldwide)

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

From what I've read the traditional tale of Chicken Little is merely anecdotal regarding the past of the character in the movie.

The other thing that makes Pixar films so much better is that the stories are all traditional. Disney's successful animation films are mostly re-writes of fairy tales using Disney characters. Few of their completely original creations have become classics.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Who cares about Pixar? And why? It doesn't make sense to care about how much money a corporation makes, nor does it make sense to hope that a CGI movie from another company is bad, because we'd all be better off with better movies, no matter who makes them.

Better for Pixar or not, who cares. I want Disney to make better movies because I want the cinemas to be filled with better movies. Pixar can go down in flames, and I wouldn't care as long as other good CGI movies from other companies were filling the void and the reason for Pixars plateauing.

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

That was the point I was getting at. I feel like I should be rooting for Pixar, but when I think about it, I don't really care where the movies come from.

17. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Went to see this for my kid's birthday with a bunch of kids (and a few of their parents).

I thought the movie was pretty mediocre, especially compared to any of the Pixars so far (have to admit "Cars" looks borderline for now). Story line wasn't particularly bad, but not particularly good, either. Lots of references to pop music from '90s, '80s, '70s and earlier, which I'm not sure today's kids will "get", and kind of inconsistent with the characters' ages. Thought it was kind of a cheap way to try to appeal to adults. And the ending gag was ripped off from the first Pee Wee Herman film.

The CG had lots of detail, but it didn't seem to move much, and I remember no great "dolly" shots like in "A Bug's Live". In many ways it seemed more like multi-plane cartoon animation than 3D.

And one of the other parents did literally snooze through the movie... The kids thought it was "funny", probably it will make money but I have to wonder if the movie will have any staying power.

I'd buy the Pixar stock.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

not interested. did Disney run out of ideas? soon they will be making a cartoon film about roaches and the things living under your toe nails.

Bless

19. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Pixar has set a standard for CGI movies and I hope that it continues. They stress the story first and the animation is just the medium to deliver it - as an animator (of sorts) myself, this has much greater appeal to me than Disney who's just trying to keep up with the technology.

Pixar is in a lot of ways like Apple - as long as they keep pushing the envelope we're going to have great movies to go see.

D

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I took the kids to see it last weekend. They liked it of course (7 yr old and 5 yr old twins).

My wife and I thought that while it was OK, it lacked that certain je ne sais quoi that the Pixar films, especially the recent bunch (Nemo, Monsters Inc and The Incredibles), seem to possess. The story was too superficial or something. While I'm sure it'll do decently at the box office, I don't expect a gazillion dollars like Nemo or Monsters Inc.