Chicken of the VNC, HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psychofreak, Oct 22, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I can use Chicken of the VNC using my macbook on my brothers with bonjour. When we are in the same room (wireless internet), I can just copy the IP address to the box named 'host', put in the password, and turn off bonjour, and it works. Unfortunately, when he goes to his place, with a different internet connection, it does not work.

Any suggestions, please?

2. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

It's not that easy that way.
    Try searching for "router" and "port forwarding".
    Find out the ports COTVnC uses and configure your brother's router accordingly.

Good Luck

4. ecksmen macrumors member

You were both on the same network, and I assume his IP was something like 192.168.0.112 . Remote desktop within a network is fairly simple, unfortunatly you now need to set it up across the internet. Effectively you need to create a tunnel between the two houses. Firstly you need to know his WAN IP address, that is the IP address his ISP assigns him.

This would be the IP address you type into chicken.

As the previous poster has stated, you'll also need to ensure that any routers on his and your network have port forwarding enabled to direct the traffic to the correct locations. IIRC VNC uses ports 5800, so bascially if his WAN IP is say 217.140.43.100 you'll be N.A.T.ing it to 192.168.0.100:5800 .

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

5900. :)

So 192.168.0.100:5900, for example.

6. ecksmen macrumors member

In fairness I did type IIRC, but you are right, 5800 is used for the JAVA web GUI.

7. Delimontre macrumors newbie

HELP!!!!! I'm a newbi at this sort of thing!!!

I just got a mac mini and i ahve a powerbook G4. I have no idea what to do with the VNC thing, i tried using the ip but that didnt work. Would anyone mind helping a newb?

8. Delimontre macrumors newbie