Childless couple told to try sex

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, May 18, 2004.

1. macrumors P6

wdlove

A German couple who went to a fertility clinic after eight years of marriage have found out why they are still childless - they weren't having sex.

The University Clinic of Lubek said they had never heard of a case like it after examining the couple who went to see them last month for fertility tests.

Doctors subjected them to a series of examinations and found they were both apparently fertile, and should have had no trouble conceiving.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_957945.html

2. macrumors 68020

oh... my... goodness...

that's really, really funny. i understand their background, but seriously...

3. macrumors Core

i really dont know what to make of this, i kinda feel bad for them because they were missing out, its a shame that their beliefs kept them so sheltered though

4. macrumors 6502

pianojoe

I want to point out that lack of sex drive is not common to Germans in general.

5. macrumors regular

unbelievable. :D :rolleyes:

but waitasec, how come their parents had kids (them)...? Hypocrites ;)

6. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ahhh there's nothing like like reading about natural selection in action. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors regular

off topic

btw, i note that the ads by Google at the bottom for this thread are in/fertility related. I have clicked many links here before, but am realizing only now that the ads seem to be context specific!

so is this how Gmail would be? could be interesting and even useful, to find relevant info practically at your elbow.

8. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

But it makes you wonder how many there are out there. Sex in our culture is made to look like it is only for pleasure which simply isn't true. I mean think about it, if a religion discourages pre marital sex, and you think that it is only for pleasure, why would you do it at all if you were totally devout to your faith?

P-Worm

9. macrumors 68000

kgarner

That is incredible. Funny, and sad (but mostly funny) all at the same time.

10. macrumors 68000

Would a clinic spokesman really say "We're not talking about retarded people here..."???

Many mentally disabled people are aware of "sex". (I watch Law & Order :D )

11. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

retarded is not a "bad" word. just b/c a 5 year old uses it to mock, doesn't mean doctors do not use it. medicine is not very PC.

i think it makes complete sense to say this. a retarded couple might not realize that sex is necessary to procreate.

12. thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

It doesn't seem that mental capacity is the problem. They did mention that they were brought up in spiritual setting. My thought also, were they home schooled. At least at a regular public it would be hard not to know about sex. My prayer that the sex therapy will be successful.

13. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Ummmm.... wow. :eek: Their parents sure dropped the ball on this one!

"Sex? Oh yeah, I KNEW I forgot to tell them about something!"

Sheesh... :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 6502

They said they were "trying" for 8 years.....what exactly WERE they doing?!?

15. macrumors 6502

Growing cabbages. Or putting out stork houses (I know, I know, it is the wrong kind of "putting out"). :D

16. macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I suspect the answer here is "praying". I imagine in a strict religious upbringing, they would have heard about infertile couples praying for babies from time to time, and heard stories of it being successful. Not often does one hear in church, "My spouse and I prayed for a baby, and after years of mating like rabbits, finally had one"... It's basically impossible for someone who knows something to understand the mind of someone who doesn't.. it's why anthropologists have such fits when trying to study extinct cultures. You can send 100 people out in the wilderness and make them live like their ancestors did, but you can't make forget the things that they shouldn't know if they are going to be like their ancestors. It skews the whole experiment. (You can make me rub two sticks together to start a fire, but you can't make me forget that Zippos exist.. so I will set out to "discover" the things I want, all out of order from how a true primitive would/did)
    My point there is that while this seems nearly ridiculous to us, I strongly suspect we would all be shocked by how many people in the world truly do not know how it all works. Including those that DO have sex. They may very well not know which particular act of their mating ritual actually caused the pregnancy.. as many cultures have pretty ritualized coital habits.

17. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well there's going to be one more very happy couple in Germany tonight! :eek: :D :D :cool:

18. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Horray horray the first of may!
    Outdoor ****ing begins today!

A lot of easter traditions are holdovers from pagan fertility rituals. Think rabbits. Eggs etc.

As for people who have sex not understanding there was the recent episode of Friends where the girl thought there could have been 2 different fathers to her baby. A football player or father killer. Monica found out the the girl didn't now much about what could and couldn't cause pregnancy. (Is it what we never do or what we almost never do :) )

19. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well its still ridiculous whether they were home schooled or not. Even with no schools, cavemen probably didn't have any difficulty figuring out what to do. Men have hormones, and they want to fook once puberty hits, whether they want to or not. They don't know how, they don't even know why, but they know they want to. Its like a dog humping someone's leg....sex is just a part of nature that you can't quite control. Women have hormones and feel "horny" as well. Its just an obvious thing to do, even if you grew up in the middle of nowhere with no human contact. I'm sure even then you'd naturally masturbate.

20. macrumors 6502

Foucault

21. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

hehe, just to warn you about the dangers masturbation.

22. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

What I can't understand is how they can be brought up in a spiritual setting and NOT know anything at all about sex. Did their parents just sort of excise all the sexually suggestive parts from the Bible? I mean, yeah, the Good Book doesn't exactly spell it out to the degree of "tab a goes in slot b" but you can't miss at least getting the idea that there's something that needs to happen there.

I'm trying to think of more words here, and they just fail me. :eek:

23. macrumors 603

Somebody obviously missed something pretty fundamental in the birds and bees department there. I suppose I can see how the disconnect could happen, but if their parents were at all involved in teaching them you know they must've done something at some point, even if they somehow didn't make the connection between the horizontal mambo and getting pregnant.

Heck, unless I've forgotten something, the whole virgin birth of Jesus thing pretty much tells you why having a kid without having sex is something special. Guess somebody wasn't paying attention to what the opposite of a virgin birth, and therefore the way that EVERY SINGLE HUMAN THAT ISN'T THE MESSAIAH was born, involved.

If anything, I'm more impressed that during those 8 years the ol' hormonal instincts (which seem to work quite well even in people who have no idea what sex is or does) didn't kick in, but I suppose it even happens to married people who are quite aware of the good things about sex. Or, for that matter, that they were aware enough to go to a fertility clinic about their problem!

(By the way, pianojoe, I don't think anyone who's ever used Google is under the impression that most Germans don't have plenty of carnal knowledge. And speaking of Google, radhak, all Google AdWords ads are context sensitive, as will the GMail ads be, which is what the fuss is over.)

24. macrumors 6502a

mcadam

...I've heard that even some girls have hormones to!! ;)

25. macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

gee

gee i have a stick, she has a hole. When my stick is rubbed i get happy, when she gets rubbed she get happy. When i get happy gooey stuff comes out, what would happen if i got some in the hole?

Jeeze its common sense. Makes you wonder how cavepeople knew how?