Children of Men

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hob, Oct 19, 2006.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Trailer

The above trailer doesn't quite do the film justice. It's released stateside in December, but it was released here in the UK a few weeks ago.

I saw it last night, and I have to recommend it to everyone as strongly as I can! Incredible film.

I'll add a nice review later on, if anyone's interested :)

2. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

if the movie is indeed better than the trailer, then count me in! I love the trailer. It grabbed me right away and Ive re-watched it several times just waiting for the movie to be released. May even have to grab the book to tide me over till its out.

Just curious... how often do you get big movie releases over there before we get them in the states? I always just kind of assumed that "hollywood" movies were released here first, then made there way to other places a few weeks later. Or is this not a "hollywood" movie?

3. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Oh! I'm sorry. I was also emailing my brother about it, and forgot what I'd told him vs. what I'd put here!

I think it's a Working Title production, and it's most certainly set in Britain so it's definately got some british money in it...

Let me know how the book is - i'm off fiction at the moment :)

4. emmawu macrumors 6502

The book is incredible. PD James is a wonderful writer.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree... I really liked the book. It's the only PD James I've ever read.

Somehow I think the movie is quite different from the book... no connection between Theo (the hero) and Xan (the Warden of England) in the movie as there is in the book, for example.

6. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Did they not say he is his brother in the movie? I think they mentioned it just before he went to see him, but when they are together they do not behave like brothers - more like old friends... very odd.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

In the book, they are cousins... Xan being the older, always-more-ambitious cousin to Theo's bookworm cousin.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but when I read through the cast listing, I didn't even see Xan's name listed.

8. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

He's literally in it for 5 minutes.

He's looking after a museum built at Battersea Powerstation.

Funny thing is, when they drive up to it, they're driving over the Millenium bridge, which is a footbridge between St. Paul's and the Tate Modern - a converted power station. However, Battersea has been comped in place.

The real battersea power station has no insides. When they get there, it cuts to a shot of them driving down the main ramp on the inside of the Tate.

Just made me smile as I know the two places well :)

9. scr macrumors newbie

This is one movie I gotta see!

Anyone else feel the resemblance to V for Vendetta? I think it was the british that triggered it. :)

10. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

After seeing Michael Caine like that in the preview I don't think I could take it seriously enough. Assuming it's not meant to be a comedy.

11. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Definitely not a comedy. This film is superb, edgy, thrilling and tense! Loved it. :D

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Deffo worth going to see. Best film ive seen in a long while :)

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Bloody awful ending IMHO :D Entertaining film though, and very thought provoking - I've found myself wondering about the various issues it raises many times since seeing it a few weeks ago.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its on my list....but it will have to wait for DVD release - I don't get to go out and see too many movies in the theater lately.

D

16. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

hm for some reason the trailer won't work for me... but I think I saw the trailer before. Is it the one where humans have stopped having children, except there's one woman who has? If so, then I definitely want to see that when it comes out here.

17. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

IIRC Theo does say they are cousins in the film (definitely doesn't say brothers) - hence the relationship being more friend-like.

I liked the ending, I have no problem with that type (trying not to spoil it here!) of "conclusion". My housemate however, didn't like the ending as she likes things tied up in a nice little bow. And she wanted more background on why people are unable to have kids... she didn't quite grasp that if they knew they would be able to do something about it....

Ditto :D

Great film by the way... very realistic scenes in the movie in two completely different ways... and I can't say again for fear of spoilage!

18. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Wow. This thread started on October 20th of last year! I guess that shows you how much I'm behind the times.

I just saw this film Friday night, and it was stunning. I can't seem to get it out of my mind. It has that staying power. Theo, the nursemaid, homeland security. So dark, and yet very convincing. It's doesn't take too much of a stretch of the imagination to see that happening today.

19. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I saw it on friday as well, missed the first 5 or 10 minutes. I thought it was a powerful film, but the ending was too abrupt. I wanted them to go to the Human Project.

20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I understand how you feel about the ending, but if the directors took it that far, there would be a lot more questions and it would open up a whole new direction. I'm content with how it ended, however. Enough to suggest a future.

I really enjoyed the music and the flying pig outside the Battersea Power Station. There were a lot of references to "classic rock," I wonder why the directors chose that genre. It almost didn't seem to go with the feel of the film.

21. Quboid macrumors 6502

It's the lead actor "Clive" from briton?:)

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I thought the film was incredible, and I loved the ending. I don't understand American fascination with utopian bow-tied endings. Give me ambiguous endings any day. It's great to imagine yourself how the story goes on from there.

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Is that a Pink Floyd reference?

Where's briton?

24. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I saw the film last night and...

I thought the cinematics were great but I was left very confused about the whole movie about 3/4 in. I felt like I was supposed to already know a part of the story line. And not to mention the ending left me wanting more!!

overall I'd say it was okay, but wouldn't beg to see it again.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I saw this the other night and I'd give it 2 and a half stars out of four. Its pretty good at times and tense and other times its just like some liberal propaganda. I can't imagine 20 years from now seeing anti-Bush stickers. It was more like Minority Report than the "closest thing to Blade Runner" that the trailer was claiming. For anyone in the mood for great science fiction, this is not your movie. Its more a political film than a sci fi film. The good things are some great cinematography and seamless effects. Their stab at "realism" is actually quite good. 2.5 out of 4