Chimera and Jaguar

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AmbitiousLemon, Jul 30, 2002.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

The first thing to note is that the drop down menu in your internet preferences in Jaguar which used to only keep IE in there, now also keep chimera in there (assuming you have it installed). it does not do this for any other browser. i was very surprised when i saw "Navigator" in my list. I had navigator on a separate partition from 10.2 and it still found it and added it to the list.

the next thing i noticed is that chimera seems a lot faster and more stable in 10.2 than it was in 10.1 (exact same app and preference files). it makes me wondering if teh developers have been coding for 10.2. im sure they have received apple's seeds.

and on a final note the spacebar problem. i have been using chimeraknight to auto download the nightlies so i know i am up to date. but the spacebar issue is not completely gone, nor is it completely here. when i first started typing this the screen was bouncing all around but about midway through it just stoppped.

as soon as they fix the spacebar issue, add spellcheck services, fix the sidebar so that it opens on both sides again, and update the code back to the latest mozilla code, i will be very happy with Chimera as a default browser. [and btw, the download issue iw as having seems to be fixed.]

2. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

This is good...Chimera is my browser of choice right now but I have to set it to "default" every time I download a new version...

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I too am using it for my default browser. It is beautiful, fast, and I find it very stable. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for it, expecially if Apple consumes the company and makes its own browser.

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

apple consuming netscape?? (aol)

dont think so.

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

THEY F'N CHANGED THE NAVIGATION SHORTCUTS AGAIN! AHHHHH!

that really pisses me off. pick one and stick with it dammit. i personally want cmd-left and cmd-right. at this point i'll settle for cmd-EJECT.

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Spark, what are you talking about? AOL doesn't own Chimera? Please clarify.:D

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

netscape/aol owns chimera. its technically open sourced, but we'll see how long that lasts. either way there isnt any way apple can take over, either its owned by a company much bigger than they are or it isnt owned by anyone.

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I thought that the mozilla code was used in Netscape, but I had no idea that they owned Mozilla, and expecially chimera.

I was under the impression that Chimera was an opensource brower based off of the Mozilla code?

I could be wrong.

9. Archer macrumors newbie

Mozzila.org. Love the open source movement. Be a part of it by downloading Chimera and test it out. If it's buggy report what's happening at said above addy. Be careful what you ask for! If you hate IE and or MS and wish they would right a faster native browser for us then stop complaing.

Get behind the bus and help us out by helping the dev's and the Chimera community in creating the best darn browser not only on the OS X, but any platform. I shall step off the soap box now.

By the by, Chimera is locked for optmiization and will not return to Mozilla source code till Chimera hits version 1. I believe what's under the hood is Mozilla 1.0, and Chimera is being optimized for OS X. Chimera is a branch of Mozilla. Mozilla is the open source version of Netscape. Mozilla is a nonprofit organization established by Netscape. :rolleyes: Other variant browsers can be created from the source code, ala Chimera, with no fee to Mozilla or Netscape.

Mozilla was created to extend the evolution of Netscape Navigator 4. Eh, history. Check out Mozilla.org for the dirt.

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

did anyone have any problems installing chimera?

i downloaded the gz file, according to the instructions, i just need to copy the "navigator" folder to the applications folder and it should work.

i get an error message, once i try to copy the folder to the application folder.

i use jaguar. maybe one could give me a tip. thx.

11. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

Re: Chimera and Jaguar

I'm using OmniWeb as my default browser, and it, along with all my other browsers (chimera, IE, and Cunning) show up in the drop down menu under internet prefs. i find omniweb to be just as fast, and cooler looking than chimera.

12. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Re: Re: Chimera and Jaguar

right now, nothing is cooler than tabs.