Chimera crashing, PLEASE help!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, Oct 8, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hey all,

I downloaded Cunning (web browser), when I launched it it terminated instantly.
    Since that happened Chimera now does exactly the same thing, I have been and downloaded v0.5 (the stable build, not a nightly), but it still refuses to load, I've also rebooted but nothing will work!
    Please, if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them, I MUST have Chimera back!

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Delete the Chimera prefs, reboot, and then try launching the browser. You could also try repairing the permissions. I'm not sure it any of those will work, but it is a place to start. I hope you get Chimera working again.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've run repair disk permissions and I'm running disk doctor now.
    Do you know where exactly the pref files for chimera are?

Many thanks.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you tried dumping the cache manually?

Home Library/the Application (Most likely Mozilla)/Profiles/default/user account/

Most other programs dumped here

Home Library/Application Support/the.app

or

Home Library/Preferences/the.app

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

PLEASE people, I realy need some help here, Chimera (Navigator.app) just will not launch! It's driving me mad!
    I've fixed permissions, run Norton Disk Doctor, but it still terminates whilst launching :mad:
    The above location for prefs doesn't exist, does _anyone_ know where the Chimera prefs are kept, and/or have any more ideas what might be causing this?

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The Chimera prefs are in "your home directory"/Library/Application Support/Chimera, as you could have found out for yourself in about 4.5 seconds.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sorry had an extra slash - fixed. And wasn't sure where Chimera is locating stuff.

And dump the cache first...

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Blah, Blah, Bite Me, Blah. [​IMG]

Can't even get the dashes and slashes right today. :(

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I did look in my Library for a Chimera folder, but I couldn't see it...maybe I'm going blind.:(
    Thanks though, I'll take another (possibly more careful) look later on when I get home.

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

All your prefs are in the

~/Library/Application Support/Chimera/Profiles/default/*somecrazysaltedname*/

directory.

Your best bet is going into that directory...copying the bookmarks.xml file somewhere else...then trashing the entire Chimera/ and subdirs. Also, trash Cunning , which in my opinion is a POS being coded by someone who doesnt know what opensource and ownership means. Trash your current Chimera and download a new build. no rebooting necessary. once you install the new chimera and run it, quit the program. Then copy your saved bookmarks.xml file back into the proper place. Then run Chimera all over again. It should be fine.

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
    This is realy killing me now! I've done everything, scrapped my prefs, got a new copy of navigator.app, even tried running it under another user, but NOTHING will work! Curse Cunning! It was all fine until I tried that damn thing!

13. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I just downloaded the lastest nightly Chimera build, and it will not open! I've trashed the chimera directory. I've trashed that Navigator.app. I've downloaded a new version. Nothing Works!!! I must get Chimera back!

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know! It's a nightmare! I too must have chimera back, but nothing I do makes any difference, it makes no sense!

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know, I've resisted the Chimera temptation and stuck with Mozilla & Navigator.

All I can say is that, when I moved my user folder to a new HD - Mozilla/Navigator was the only problem child (as in massive PIA to get e-mail accounts, address books, and old e-mail back).

But when Mozilla corrupts badly enough to die on opening, Netscape has luckily booted to allow the washing of the cache and/or history/cookies/download if needed.

16. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

bow down to me because i shall fix your Chimera problems once and for all.

Just delete the two RealPlayer aliases in your /Library/Internet Plug-ins directory. Note thats without a ~

Apparently RealPlayer beta2 has broken our mighty Chimera. This will most likely fix everyone's prob as it did mine.

17. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Sparkleytone,

I have two words to day to you: YOU ROCK!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! My wonderful Chimera is working again!!! You are a savior.

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

well i really just got it from the Chimera board at http://chimera.eternaltedium.com

seems like everyone is having this problem and i just encountered it today.

it seems that you dont really have to delete the files, just change the permissions to readwrite. either way it fixes the problem.

19. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

for those who may want to put the aliases back into their folder, or for those that are afraid to try Chimera because of this issue....

This issue has been fixed as of last night, and will run fine starting with tonights build. Long live the beast. :)

20. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

sparkleytone, you are a god! Thanku sooooo much!

21. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh! This is brilliant! I have my Chimera back!
    THANK YOU!