Chimera Help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AlejandroGonzo, Oct 15, 2002.

1. AlejandroGonzo macrumors member

May 5, 2002
    Aurora, CO
    I woke up this morning and now I can't use chimera. Everytime I try to launch it, it gets to the splash screen and says "cannot launch navigator. navigator is already running on this system. Only one version of navigator can run at a time." I am not running navigator. When I go to force quit, it shows only the finder. I have tried reinstalling both 0.5 and the latest nightly and throwing away my old version. I searched for "navigator" in the finder and threw away those files associated with the program, then reinstalled again. Nothing works. Help me please. Running on a Ti800
  2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
    1. go to /Library/Application support/Chimera
    2. dig down further until you find your bookmarks.xml file and move it out of there
    3. delete the /library/applicationsupport/chimera folder
    4. launch chimera, then quit it
    5. replace the new bookmarks file with your old one

after this you should be good to go. some of the nightly builds seem to have this problem and keep in mind that it's only at .5, so ther are still some kinks to be ironed out. there is plenty of info on this subject at the chimera boards <>
  3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    actually its just one file in the Chimera profile dir.

its a file called 'lock'

just delete it and run chimera again.
  4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    At least you guys can get Chimera to launch...! Mine unexpectedly quits. I tried doing a fresh install of the newest nightly build, wiped the library files for both mozilla and chimera, but still no dice. I give.
  5. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2002
    When does it bail?

Does it crash before it even loads, or after the browser window comes up? Or while surfing?

Which build are you using? (Navigator-->About Navigator)... it should say something like

Build ID: 2002101604

In the lower left corner...

Don't give up! The popup blocking and tabbed browsing alone make it worthwhile... despite little bugs! :)