Chimera Thread to end all Chimera Threads

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sparkleytone, Jun 1, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

well finally its hitting the point we have been waiting for. development is damn-near furious. there is now a nightly build section for snapshots leading to milestones. here's to the future of Chimera.

Chimera Link

Chimera Nightly Direct Link

2. j763 macrumors 6502a

[CRAZYRUMOR]
    Maybe they're just getting it ready for apple for mwny...
    [/CRAZYRUMOR]

LoL, j/k...

good to see that chimera is progressing rapidly.

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

wohoo we finally got some official linkage to eternal tedium. everybody thanks to mike we had been chatting and i mentioned it to him. finally got the ear of oen of the developers.

4. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

or you could thank me too :p i told hyatt about it on IRC about a week ago. :)

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ah talked to the big man himself. if you see him again tell him to give me back my sidebar on the left :D

6. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

this has to do with the patch i mentioned earlier in another thread. here we goooooooo!!!!! chimera is bringin the pain.

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

sweet. thanks for the low down sparkleytone. i think the day i drop mozilla and move to chimera is still a ways off, but with every update it seems its not so far away as im assuming. the pace of open source development is really quite amazing.

8. macagain macrumors regular

I have now switched from Chimera to Mozilla+Silk. Stability, speed, and aa fonts...

9. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

you dont need silk, starting tomorrow the nightly mozilla builds should all have a quartz rendering option built in.

10. foniks2020 macrumors regular

Mozilla + silk != Chimera

I think Chimera has quite a few surprises left to be revealed. Mozilla is currently my browser of choice but I'm looking forward to running Chimera on a Jaguar OS and seeing what Apple has done to improve Cocoa apps. Carbon was always meant to be a seque layer for developers not an end of the road to be sure.

Remember that Mozilla still has to support all those other platforms (Linux/Windoze/etc) while Chimera is only on OS X and can only be on OS X.

Chimera looks to be the IE on Windows for OS X... as in it takes full advantage of the OS (think things like 'services' and interoperability with the whole iChat, Mail, Addressbook, Rendezvous nexus.

11. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

foniks: i think you said that very well. summarized a lot of my thoughts. have you been over to the chimera board ? i think we could use someone with a nice level head.