chimera ???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by chrisfx811, Nov 19, 2002.

1. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

after some suggestions i downloaded chimera.. now i have some probably stupid questions but here gooes:
    1. everytime i click a link from email it opens that window in a new tab instead of same window i was previously using. can i change this? so i don't have like 20 tabs going at once.
    2. when scrolling using the side bar it scrolls much slower than ie 5.2 can this be changed as well?
    3. is chimera very prone to crashing? are there any problems i should be on the lookout for?
    i am not very computer savvy without some instruction
    thank you guys and girls

2. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: chimera ???

1. Go to prefs, Navigation, Tabbed Browsing and uncheck the box "Loading a page requested by another application". That should fix it, hm?

2. Don´t know, I think the scroll speed cannot be changed within the browser. Try using the scrollwheel accelerator of OS 10.2...

3. Build 0.5 was evil, but now with 0.6 its very stable, but beware of surfing www.aintitcool.com with 0.6. It will crash after a few clicks. Seems to be a bug. Anything else works fine.

3. chrisfx811 thread starter macrumors regular

if i do that (question #1) i end up getting a new window instead...:confused:
    i will try scrollwheel accel. for #2

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Yes, a new window instead of a tab. You don´t have other possibilities right now.
    *I* for my part would be annoyed if the click on a link would result in an existing window being emptied and filled with new content! I think its good that way.

5. chrisfx811 thread starter macrumors regular

will many tabs then result in a slower experience or no?

6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

No, they won't.

And I totally agree stike. Replacing your current page with another is annoying (especially if you've accadentally clicked it) and a new browser window defeats the purpose of tabbed browsing all together.

Stick with their preset for this particular option (they knew what they were doing).

7. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Don´t know. My comp is always fast enough, I find it more difficult to handle tabs than windows, because you can only close the tabs with command-w key combo. They have no close buttons like windows... and you can only watch one tab content at once.

8. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I guess if you've got the Cinema Display you can view two windows at once. Otherwise, I think tabbed browsing is the way.

If you really want to speed up your browsing experience, then begin to learn/use the basic key commands. Windows or tabs, I use the command-w command to close a page. It's much faster than mousing all the way to the top of your screen.

9. chrisfx811 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks everyone i am starting to like chimera. it is much faster than ie 5.2
    are mozilla and opera also good choices?

10. chrisfx811 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: chimera ???

i downloaded chimeraknight and chimericon, one of these fixed my question in #1. i can now click a link and have it load over my current page. unfortunately now i am liking the tab versions better:D it makes browsing multiple sites much nicer for me... thank you everyone.

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: Re: chimera ???

Yeah, it's ChimeraKnight.. the latest nightly build includes an option to open it in the current window.. but, as you said, I find it useless if you have tabs...

irmongoose