Chiming in on an Apple PDA

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by gentry, Feb 19, 2002.

1. gentry macrumors newbie

I've watched and read the rants and raves re a potential Apple PDA.

My thoughts:

Does it fit into the digital hub? Absolutely! Imagine a 5-10 gig hard drive (iPod-esque), able to handle everything the Palm can plus; integrating iPhoto to view your photos on the road, simply like you download mp3 files into the ipod. Now imagine the same functionality but handling video clips as well.

Would I pay $5-600 for a multi-purpose picture/video viewer, plus palm device. Yeah, and so would many others. The point is that you can carry your iPhotos, iMovies, etc with you.

I'm guessing this hits the street before xmas.

2. gentry thread starter macrumors newbie

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey wait you can do all that on a laptop. whats the big deal. just cause it is smaller. i dont get it. oh well.

yeah i heard about that too on tech tv...it has a 10g hard drive but is not as cool looking as the iPod of course.

4. sjs macrumors 6502

I totally agree about the next iPod (i posted similar thoughts on another thread when I was Unregistered).

A couple of addenda:
    1- How can anyone say "its like a notebook, so what?"

Being roughly PDA-size and having all the PDA capabilities... plus iTunes, mpegs, iPhoto, video etc...it make every PDA obsolete, but at the same time, there's a proven market for PDA-sized devices. Those folks can migrate to iPod2 (and iMac).

2 - When I am taking digital photos and fill up the memory I can just download them into iPod2 and keep taking photos.

SJS

5. sjs macrumors 6502

A question to readers about our theortetical iPod2:

1 - Is it technically possible to combine all these capabilities in some simple form, and keep the device about the current size?

2 - To me, such a device seems overwhelmingly logical, first as a tie-in to iMacs and the digital lifestyle; second as the type of thing only Apple could do and have it be both cool and amazing. Do you all think its a logical next step for Apple?

SJS

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would love to have an Apple product that can read the Acrobat eBookreader files. I know you can do it on the computers, but you have to be running OS 9, not X. I have been seriously considering getting either a dedicated reader, or palm type device to do this. That is about all that I would use it for, since I do have the TiBook.

If it could do other functions, that would just be the icing on the cake. The screen should be at least the size of the window$ ce devices, if not a bit larger. Also, the size shouldn't be any larger then a softcover book (at most). Either that, or have enough screen real estate to make it work for book reading. How about a scroll wheel on either one or both sides? That way, you can just use that to keep reading??

I would pay good money to get such a product from Apple. You know if Apple puts out such a device, it will last for many years, and still be usable. They could put out occasional firmware and software updates to increase it's functionality.

Oh, and it should have a color screen, that is on the same level as the laptops, not a sub-par item. That will probably be the item that costs the most on it, and will make it harder to develop/produce.

I give it two years before something like this is available, if not (hopefully) less.

Long live Apple, and down with m$!!

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my question is...

do we really need another thread dedicated to this stupid subject?! :rolleyes:

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: my question is...

you dont seem caring. why? please be cool man even if the post you are posting on isnt to your liking. please dont be offended by what im saying...im just trying to propagate a friendly atmosphere because we can all use it on here. take care.

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yep, got your point. i understand your view so its cool. i just think that what everyone has or is going to have on a pda is on laptops now ..the only disadvantage for going with the laptop (on a cetain level) is its size and its cost...but you definitly get more bang for your buck. it just seems to me that the pda is moving more toward a full fledged computer and that seems a little odd for me. they are making pda's into laptops so then next they will be making laptops into pdas.... the same idea from a different direction. they will meet in the middle and then you will have a day when a couple of guys will have a discussion like this....guy 1 says "hey i got the new pda...deluxe.with everything you can possibly do on it... just like your laptop" then guy 2 will say "hey i got the new laptop the size of a pda and i too can do everything on it and it is also the size of your pda".... they will look at each other and feel manipulated by big bussines.

:ptrippy

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ok...

I'm not trying to start anything....but...

do u guys truly feel that this topic needs to be brought up again? I mean...these are the same comments that have been made in the past...

I guess I feel if there were actual evidence of something happening then it would be more justifiable...

just my thoughts...

ps: what's the flying eyeball quote all about? :p

11. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: ok...

i hear you man...loud and clear. however...have we researched/talked about the trend on wither it is true that pdas are moving toward laptops and/or the other way around?

ps: hey i never thought about that eyeball qoute refering to you...kinda of funny when you think about it. its cool though...your the eyeball that is the exception!! ;)

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Re: ok...

art, it's not about something actually happening, it's just wishful thinking, and some of our own input on the subject, just in case Jobs comes wandering around. Personally I think some sort of Apple device is going to come out in two years or so that syncs with iPhoto. Think about it iTunes comes out, about two years later we get the iPod that is the perfect hardware companion to the software. It only makes sense. Apple used to have a digital camera years ago if I recall correctly, but it was ditched, maybe we'll see one again.

13. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I did this a few months back:

[​IMG]

Thats what I want!

Ensign

14. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Re: ok...

im with you on that one...for whatever that matters.
    however i think we will see it sooner.
    do you know what PAPDALC is?

people against the pda and laptop convergance!
    :p

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I still want one of those Ensign!

and I understand the whole "wishful thinking" scenario...but sometimes I feel it's just "time" to get over it...

but whatever...I'm not going to stop anyone from dreaming....have fun....

17. Timothy macrumors 6502

PDA Bully?

Eyelikeart...did a PDA beat you up when you were a kid or something? You seem traumatized by the whole concept.

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hey Ensign, looks like you need Apple Garamond. ;)

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

20. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

oh come one! u mean talking about the fabled Apple PDA isn't exciting enough for u?! ha ha ha!!! :p

22. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Why bother?

None of these jokers will ever get it. They all think that PDA's are the "way of the future". Some of us know this is pure bull****: Whatever handheld comes out and "changes everything" will be so different it will be coined as something else.:rolleyes:

23. iMax macrumors member

Not "PDA"

We all know Steve and his "insanely great" iDeas and how they are all so different from anything PC users have, right? Well, I would not be surprised if Apple intoduces what you and I would call a PDA, but is Apple's own thing because it is so special and different. If it has a color screen, 5-10 gig HD, etc etc, then Apple and Steve might find some reason not to call it a PDA, and by Steve saying "we're not entering the PDA market" he wouldn't be lying...

just something to ponder...

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Why bother?

that's what I think....it's useless to sit here and discuss how cool it would be if Apple released a PDA....

a point will be soon reached where it's not about being a PDA....much, much more than that.....and all of what we see will become quickly obsolete....

and maybe Apple will be a part of it....but for now I just wish these people could stop whining about PDAs....

just my 2¢....flame me if u want.... :cool: