China Killing Dogs To Prevent Rabies Spread

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mactastic, Aug 4, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This just tears me up...
    Right after I read this I had two thoughts. The first was that they'd have to club me to death too. The second was that my dog would probably willingly take the clubbing so that I could be left alone...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Awww, I'm an animal lover, but it sounds like the right thing to do.

3. Lau Guest

I'm not a massive animal lover, and I'm a bit suspicious of dogs due to earlier biteyness incidents, but surely there's a quicker and more humane way to kill them than clubbing them to death?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. why beat them to death?

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Particularly in front of their owners. My dog is like a frickin kid to me, if you mess with him, you're gonna have to deal with me too.

And what's wrong with a vaccination program?

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

First of all I don't think there is a need to massacre them. I'm sure if they weren't so lazy they'd think of another way to solve the problem.

Secondly, I'm sure they could come up with a more humane way of killing them. Even shooting them would be better.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Are they beating the dogs to death......damn a simple needle will do. Get the dogs check out (at the owners expense of course) and do whats needs to be done.

Bless

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Beating with a club isn't right.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's simply the culture...dogs are not considered pets in most of China. They are used for protection, for hunting, and for food. We do very similar things to other animals every single day.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Your right, how about a example of animals that we use for hunting,protection and then we eat:confused: :eek:

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But we do similar things to animals, although not necessarily to the same animal. I think that was the important point......we're being hypocritical.

13. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Bah. It's simple economics. It's much cheaper to beat 50,000 dogs with a club than to administer 50,000 shots.

I love my dog, but I have no understanding of their culture or traditions so I wouldn't be so quick to judge them.

14. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

15. nutman macrumors regular

we butcher cows but we keep dogs like they were our own kids. i love america.

16. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

The papers here are saying 500,000 dogs.
    What about all the other animals that can spread rabies to humans?.
    Its a stupid judgement on their part. maybe they ought to cull a few humans too especially the ones that are making these stupid decisions.
    Face it chinese don't exatly treat linving things whether human or not, very well.
    just google Racoon Dog, there a neat video of skinning them alive as entertainment in Northern China.

I eat meat and wear leather but this is just too much.
    I have no problem raising something from a youngster, naming it, caring for it and then eating it. I lived on a farm for a few years. The animals were killed as fast and painlessly as possible.

Ok maybe I am ranting but I just can't stand animal abuse. There is someone around the suburbs of where I live right now that goes around partially skinning dogs and cats then setting them free to run about. grr....

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think who ever made that decision saw one to many zombie movies.

19. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Or not enough.

20. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

The article implys that many of these dogs were pets "beaten to death in front of their owners".

I'm not trying to come across as a PETA-type who is against all animal killing, but even slaughter animals die a less painful death than being beaten with a club. At least with baby seals there is a reason to not use a more humane method. Here it just seems like a terrible knee-jerk reaction that won't necessarily solve the problem it purports to, and inflicts unnecessary suffering on living creatures -- not to mention the kids who had to witness their beloved pet beaten to death in front of them.

At least when they were culling fowl during the bird flu scare earlier they were cutting the head off the chickens IIRC...

21. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

They could use more humane efforts.

This isnt Resident Evil 4. >_>

22. n8236 macrumors 65816

I have no pity for whatever animal gets slayed if it's to prevent breakouts of dangerous viruses/bacteria. Doesn't matter which part of the world it is. The consequences of breakouts can and will be catastrophic.

In Western culture, dogs are seen as valuable companions, aka pets. But in many Eastern cultures, dogs and cats alike are nothing more than livestock, and are eaten.

I'm going to tell you a story. In 2002 I visited my homeland, China and was invited to a dinner by my uncle and aunt. The main dish was puppy stew. My uncle and I were brought to the back where I had to choose a dog for my eating pleasures. Most of them were puppies from 1-3 years old for their tenderness. I picked a black one and 15 minutes later a waiter placed a stew of meat on our table. It had probably 10 pieces of meat along with other ingredients. It was the best stew i've ever had, ever! The meat had a natural distinct taste to it and it was good.

Don't get me wrong, I love pets, but I also like good eats. I own a cat and a dog and would never eat my own. But I personally have no problems eating them, I really don't. In the end, they're just animals like cow, pigs, and chicken.

Many Westerners get the misconception that Eastern people tend to be more cruel and cold blooded due to these practices, but try to think of them as cultural differences instead. :D

23. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Um

you realise these dogs were clubbed to death in front of their owners right? There's nothing that's not cruel and colb blooded about that.

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'd like to know the reaction people would have if their pet chicken was killed in front of them. Kids having a dog in the west isn't the same as in the east.

As for the beating to death, the article doesn't go into enough depth as to why. The why is what I would like before passing judgment.

Additionally, folks that are having their dogs killed in front of them really have no complaint - "Owners were offered 63 cents per animal to kill their own dogs before the teams were sent in, they said." It's not like there wasn't prior warning....

25. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

^

I can't tell. You're being sarcastic...right?