Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Chinese carriers actually don't subsidize handsets. Everybody has to pay the full asking price up-front, but then receive monthly kickbacks to offset the cost of service. Over the 2 year period those kickbacks amount to the up-front cost. But the point being, the carrier is not running a consumer lending business - they are not taking an immediate hit by selling subsidized handsets.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
If I am not mistaken, their are millions of China Mobile customers already using Iphones prior to the official release.
But not on 4G. More bandwidth = more data consumption. That's good news for Apple's app/movies/TV/music/books business.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
The analysts aren't going to be patient.

They expected a magic switch to be flipped, and suddenly Apple will be selling 2, 3, or even 5M iPhones in China per month.

Guess what? It doesn't work like that. Apple will grow its sales steadily in China, as it was already doing before the CM announcement.

Those with a bit of patience will be rewarded.

Analysts should be tuned-out.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This is great news for all of us in the Apple community. iPhone continues to dominate around the world over all other handsets. Ignore the haters Tim, you're continuing to drive the remarkable Apple success story to even higher levels.

Based on this, and it seems all your comments really, you should consider changing your name from dumastudetto to saccharinetto:D. Infinitely more apt.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Like replacing the iPad 2 with the much better iPad 4 for cost-conscious customers?

yes keep telling that to yourself:p

----------

Yes, exactly. The iPad 4 is a much better deal for institutional buyers than the iPad 2 was for the same price.

oh so suddenly ipad 4 is waaay better choice than ipad 2? Funny, just 1 week ago nobody thought that and everybody kept defending ipad 2 as the tablet that has a great price for what it does (which of course it didnt have);)

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
MacRumors is a community and you're a member. :) Apple's continued success translates to money they can invest in creating even more best of breed products in other categories. So it is good for news for all of us when Apple does well and we should celebrate it.

WRONG - it translates to more "dead money" for Apple under Cook's (lack of) leadership. They are sitting on $140,000,000,000 and not using it and not returning it to the owners.

macass

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
I disagree. I congratulate Apple for their success, but I ain't celebrating that a business that makes products that I may or may not like has more monies/market-share. Nor am I part of any 'community.' I use what I like and what suits my needs regardless of any brand or company it may be tied to.

Good for you. You are so cool and independent. I worship at your feet.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Considering the fact that China's population is in excess of 1.3 billion, Apple hasn't sold the volume of iPhone's that one would expect. Oh sure there's many variables, but being one of the world's most well known brands, they're off to a very slow start. Especially considering the dominance of the carrier.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Considering the fact that China's population is in excess of 1.3 billion, Apple hasn't sold the volume of iPhone's that one would expect. Oh sure there's many variables, but being one of the world's most well known brands, they're off to a very slow start. Especially considering the dominance of the carrier.

You're right... there are many variables.

One is... out of 1.3 billion people... how many of them could even afford an iPhone or any expensive phone?

Apple's addressable market for the iPhone is nowhere near that 1.3 billion.

Ericstephen

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
Is this 1m figure just the number of new customers CM added that chose an iPhone upon sign-up, or is it the total number of iPhone sales to all current and new subscribers? If it's the latter, i'm worried. If only 1 million customers of 760 million decided they'd like to buy an iPhone soon after it made it's debut, how the heck are they gonna sell 15 million to 30 million this year. of course more cities will be added, but that is an awfully weak number.

The fact that over 75% of new customers chose an iPhone leads me to believe that Cm may have sold 2-3 million additional phones to their current subscribers.

Let me know if I'm interpreting this wrong.

----------

Did they add "1 million since last month," or 1 million since the release date of the iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.