China Mobile Confirms Another Recent Meeting Between Chairman and Apple CEO Tim Cook

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following up a report from earlier this week that Apple CEO Tim Cook had traveled to China, representatives for China Mobile have confirmed to Reuters that its Chairman, Xi Guohua, and Cook had met recently to discuss "matters of cooperation". China Mobile, the world's largest carrier, is the only major Chinese carrier to not have a deal with Apple to distribute the iPhone.

[​IMG]
    Prior to this news, it was speculated that Cook may have visited China to discuss the potential for market growth in the region after Apple announced it fell 43 percent from the previous quarter during its quarterly earnings call. Cook is also said to have met with major Chinese carriers during his visit to discuss the impending launch of the heavily rumored low-cost iPhone in the region, potentially named the iPhone 5C. Earlier this year, Cook visited China to also discuss cooperation with China Mobile.

China Mobile and Apple have been reported to be in talks over the iPhone for several years, although no deal as yet been struck. Cook was spotted at China Mobile's headquarters in June 2011, and he visited with executives at the carrier again earlier this year during a trip to China.

Article Link: China Mobile Confirms Another Recent Meeting Between Chairman and Apple CEO Tim Cook

2. macrumors 65816

iZac

He looks thrilled to be in China ...

Side note, you won't believe the number of China Mobile users that use the iPhone here. Also, in case anyone doesn't know - you can only use GPRS on them. Millions of people willing to suffer 2G data to use an iPhone on China Mobile. There is plenty of demand here!

3. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

He for sure is not laying back.

4. macrumors member

Dat face lolol :p

5. macrumors 6502

It'll be interesting to see if China Mobile has an increase in subscribers if it makes a deal with Apple to get iPhones. It seems that China Mobile subscribers who want the iPhone are already using it anyway.

And I doubt Apple will change their hardware just to satisfy China Mobile. But stranger things have happened (iPad Mini, Verizon iPhone...).

6. macrumors member

Supertecnoboff

Its very important that Apple can sell the iPhone in China. It is a BRICK country after all.

7. macrumors 601

Technarchy

He looks like he's tired of China's ******** for sure. Poor guy.

8. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

I'll be surprised if they don't come to some agreement... Apple needs growth in China to make wall street happy. Plus, it's a huge growth opportunity.

9. macrumors 6502

the most frauds and fake things are in china and still apple wants to expand in china.

10. macrumors 68020

Looks like someone forgot to say "cheese".

11. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

China is big, I mean really big. Thats where the money is, and tim cook will follow.

12. macrumors regular

Not one of them wearing a tie - love it!

13. macrumors 68030

needfx

so, how was the party last night?

14. macrumors 6502

agreed, why are they really focused on china only.

15. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

They both look like they are gonna bust! Damn how much fish exotic fish did they eat??

16. macrumors regular

Tom Cook looking like he is not an Apple boss. Not cool just tired and worry looking

17. macrumors G3

roadbloc

I guess ties are out of fashion nowadays.

18. macrumors regular

machpost

I think he is literally wearing Steve Jobs's pants in that picture.

19. macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

Surprised no-one in the UK has noticed the similarity between Tim Cook, and British TV presenter, and one-time drag act; Google "Lily Savage"...
    paul-ogrady.jpg

(Best thing about Paul is his recent programs supporting Battersea Dogs & Cats home.:D)

20. macrumors 68000

It is the "I make a billion dollars, but I am really a down to earth carefree guy who wants to cast of the trappings of convention...".

Dress like you have a plan.

21. macrumors Core

alphaod

Good. I'm sure a lot of people (including me) who use China Mobile would love to have 3G service on the next iPhone (or any iPhone).

22. macrumors 6502

scbn

Looks like they are having a hard time to reach a deal!

The battle is about who will have the control over potentially a hundred million iphone customers; China Mobile doesn't want to give up control over its mobile users and they also want a lion's share over the sales of items from iTune and Appstore. But if Apple gives China Mobile a sweet deal, other carriers will demand the same thing. That would be a different headache for Tim.

23. macrumors regular

you mean new testament?

24. AngerDanger, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

They all look like they just woke up and are a biiiiiit hung over. I always knew Tim was a badass.

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 65816

taptic

"Too much Wasabi..."

-Tim Cook