China/Russia Alliance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Aug 22, 2005.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So a Chinese company is going to buy PetroKazakhstan (maybe).

linky

Ah the new balance of power is shaping up. It's going to be an interesting game over the next few decades.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Interesting. Must be nice for China to have a neighbor with oil reserves to exploit. We have to ship ours.

To look at the Cacausus and it's importance due to oil reserves, it is interesting to look at the competing oil pipelines, and their backers.

One, with Iranian backing (obviously), goes through Iran. Another, with US backing, goes through Turkey instead. And so on...

Much can be gleaned geopolitically by the calculus of oil and it's distribution in this area - where and by whom?

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Obvious factors for China include the issue of stability of supply. The Persian Gulf-area sources can easily become problematic, plus there are the various reports that the Saudis' production has peaked. A pipeline across western China would be more secure, and allow more development in their western regions.

Russia and China are uneasy neighbors, given the history of border disputes in commodity-rich areas. Russia is bound to still be smarting over the collapse of its empire as a result of the end of the Cold War, and is seeking various means of regaining a decent economy, power and world respect. Both countries have problems with Islamic Jihadists.

'Rat

4. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It's a problematic alliance, but a potentially powerful one. Russia still has a formidable weapons industry and massive raw materials supplies. China has the world's fastest growing (large) economy. They seem to be staking out Central Asia as their territory.

I think it's probably an effort doomed to failure, because their strategy seems in part to be to cosy up to authoritarian regimes as a way to draw countries like Uzbekistan out of the US sphere and into their own. Ultimately, I think it takes a lot of resources to impose authoritarianism and this will act as a drag on other gains. Russia is also falling apart. If it weren't for high oil prices Russia would be stagnant. Their future demography spells doom.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that "Doom" as in "Doom III"?

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

I don't know why China has to buy oil companies. When I need gas for my car, I just buy the gas, not the whole company. The US doesn't own any oil companies, but they do have the strategic petroleum reserve. I thought China was trying to get rid of its state-owned companies, not create more.

But that aside, the idea of a Russia-China alliance probably does make strategic sense. That's two big countries we don't want to mess with.

7. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, technically it's a state-owned company that's buying a foreign firm, so it's a company purchasing another company, which happens all the time. It's not really creating another state-owned company.