China Telecom in Talks to Launch CDMA iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 7, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With much of the current excitement surrounding a recent report regarding the beginning of production for a CDMA-based iPhone 4 focused on Verizon in the United States, it pays to remember that there are a few other carriers around the world that could also take advantage of such a handset.

Reuters reports on an article from the South China Morning Post which points to a report from a Deutsche Bank analyst claiming that China Telecom, the country's third-largest carrier, is in talks to bring the iPhone to its CDMA network early next year.
    China Unicom, the country's second-largest carrier, is currently the exclusive iPhone provider in China and is currently struggling to meet demand for the just-released iPhone 4.

Article Link: China Telecom in Talks to Launch CDMA iPhone?

2. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

I think this is what the CDMA iPhone is for and less likely VZW...

3. macrumors 6502a

I said this same thing several threads back about the subject. I'm inclined to believe the same. If Verizon got a CMDA iPhone, it would be incidental to a China CDMA phone. Depending on the success in the market and the device tolerance, then a consideration would be given to the US market. Probably more than a year away at least and by that time Verizon is going to have much larger LTE adoption. We will see but I certainly think that if any CDMA phone is being made, it's for China.

4. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it's more likely it's for both, it would make no sense for Apple to develop a CDMA iPhone and not give it to Verizon. looking at this list from wikipedia Verizon appears to be the largest CDMA carrier in the world.

5. macrumors newbie

will the china telecom really can sell the iPhone 4?