China Telecom iPhone 6 Ad Suggests Simplified Model Lineup for Different Carrier Technologies

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to a Sina News report (via ZDNet), China Telecom this week briefly announced plans to sell an unlocked version of the iPhone 6 in order to compete with rival carriers. The Sina report sources a Weibo post from China Telecom's Shanghai office that was posted earlier this week and later deleted.

The move suggests Apple is planning to sell a version of the iPhone 6 that will support all wireless networks in the country, including dual 4G (TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE), WCDMA, CDMA2000, GSM, and CDMA1X. This opens up LTE to China Telecom subscribers and makes the country's number three carrier more competitive with its bigger rivals China Unicom and China Mobile.

Apple currently sells three different models each of the iPhone 5s and 5c in China in order to accommodate the different technologies used by the country's carriers. But with updated modem and antenna technology for the iPhone 6, Apple may be able to streamline its model lineup to more efficiently support the various carrier technologies.

[​IMG]
    As part of its advertisement, China Telecom used an iPhone 6 rendering from a Behance gallery posted early last month by Tomas Moyano and Nicolas Aichino. The renderings have been fairly popular around the web, including in our own stories, but differ from most recent leaks in some aspects such as omitting a protruding camera ring and showing rear shells featuring different colors at top and bottom.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at a press event to be held in early September. The handset may include larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch display options, a faster A8 processor, an improved iSight camera and a new Touch ID sensor. Sales of the 4.7-inch version are expected to begin at the end of September, with the 5.5-inch model launching either alongside or up to several months later than the smaller model.

Article Link: China Telecom iPhone 6 Ad Suggests Simplified Model Lineup for Different Carrier Technologies

2. macrumors 68040

They look beautiful. WOW!

3. macrumors regular

The images are concepts, right?

4. macrumors 68000

Really hope these are the actual phones. Flush camera and black lines on the black phone.

5. macrumors 6502a

diddl14

In this picture the thing actually looks very nice!
    (pity it's a fake...)

6. macrumors newbie

They are SOOOO much more likeable

and beautiful than the actual leaked Foxconn-images...

7. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

Really? They're fake renderings anyway.

8. macrumors 65816

Jay42

Antenna breaks are so much thinner! The thick bands always bothered me in the previous "leaked" photos. This seems more Apple.

EDIT: never mind, they're meaningless renderings.

9. newyorksole, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

macrumors 68020

Those are not actual phones... They're renders. The camera on the iPhone 6 will protrude. How is it that hard to believe considering the iPod touch has a protruding camera?

You can tell it's a render because the antenna bands are totally different than the ACTUAL leaked shells/parts we've seen.

10. macrumors member

iHack13

I think I am not the only one that isnt interested in the news but the picture/mockup?

I wish I could see the black one . Much more interesting than the ugly leaks with the antenna breaks ... Bah

11. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

How many more times do I have to say this?

5.5-incher does not exist :mad:

12. macrumors 604

bushido

this looks worse than just the lines lol rather have it in the same material as the middle tbh

13. macrumors 603

Menel

lol

14. troop231, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

macrumors 603

troop231

Is it a design choice that the plastic antenna covers don't match in color? Bugs me it's 2014 and they choose not to color match the plastic with the aluminum. Felt the same way with the 2007 iPhone black plastic. :(

15. macrumors 65816

Locoboof

Just give is the phone already! :D

16. macrumors regular

So just to clarify:

in the U.S. one model (of each size size) of the new iPhone 6 will support all carriers?

17. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Yes, but the Foxconn images are crude dimensions photographed from CAD software, rather than efforted software renders...

18. macrumors 65816

kupkakez

Those renders actually look good. I'd be pleased if the iPhone 6 looks like that!

19. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

Yeah no... You can't really match the textured look of anodised aluminium with plastic. What they're doing is the best way to go and is stylish, matching the colours would make it look tacky.

20. macrumors member

You'd have to think the renders will turn out to be more the finish of the actual product than the scruffy, amalgamated-parts images.

Anyway... black me up, baby.

21. macrumors 68040

boshii

It's a possibility. Nobody knows for sure until September 9.

22. macrumors regular

It's just a rendering. It's not an official iphone.

----------

If that's what the black one ends up looking like, I'll take one. But I still don't think the overall shape looks all that fancy compared to a 4/4S/5/5S.

I'm hoping the final product looks more polished and jewelry-like in the same way the last several generations of iphones looked.

23. macrumors 6502a

These are mock ups, not the really thing. Pay attention!

24. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Because you know? ... lol ... Silly Rabbit...

25. macrumors 6502a

I don't see the protruding camera ring. It makes me question the legitimacy of the story.