China Threatens Nuclear weapon Use

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ~loserman~, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's hard to keep track of what all of our enemies are doing these days. It's much easier to track what our ally is doing, and even then, I wonder how much longer they will tolerate us.

It seems enemies of the nation are multiplying exponentially despite all of the freedom and democracy we are spreading, how can this be!?

3. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm

And I thought China was our friend. Are they not receiving "Most Favored Nation Status"? (Which I have always thought a mistake)

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

We can only hope that they push the wrong button, though neither prospect is particularly appealing...

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, Pakistan is our friend in the WOT, and yet we are now relaxing rules for Indian nukes....

This Administration does not play well with others. And when they do play with others, they don't seem to mind trying to play both sides... is that being a good friend?

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the article:
    it's a bit of a leap to declare this official Chinese policy.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

There is that caveat, but China has much more control over what information is released, and allowed this to be released. I just don't get the feeling that they feel warm and fuzzy about the US as a whole.

Which is good, the more fights we pick the better off we will be, right?

8. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Name me one Administration that has played well with others.( And hasn't played both sides)

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

your parameters are subjective, but: Clinton's.

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I agree. Blair had done the same up until the WOT. Blair and Clinton had a lot in common, still do in some ways. Both are early pioneers of the 3rd way.

11. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hehe.... And answered very SUBJECTIVELY :)

Personally I would have to go back much farther in history....

Maybe: Wilson? but even he had problems.

12. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm... Very funny link.

I guess a Communist nation is highly concerned with the reproduction of "PIGS"

:D

Edit: Seriously though IMO I think China's Space Program is more concerned with ICBM's than Manned Space Flight or pig sperm

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It wouldn't be the first time that official policy was leaked unofficially. Personally, I don't see why Taiwan is such a big deal but... I also don't feel that it is about Taiwan, rather global politics and a growing sense of nationalism in China and probably more likely, oil. The Unocal takeover attempt is but the first shot across the bows that China needs oil just as desperately as the US. Who's going to flinch first?

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Areas of socio-politcal influence have always mattered. For economic reasons mainly. The Marshall plan was a good example of that. You tend to get preferential treatment from those who you hold sway over. And that helps influence others.

15. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thoughtful response.

I disagree about Taiwan's importance though.

Something else to think about...
    IF a U.S. General mouthed off like that he would be relieved Immediately.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

one reason taiwan is a big deal is because they've got a crapload of chinese historical art. tucked away in a vault in a mountain in taipei, i've heard. with china's growing nationalism and their ever-present pride in chinese history... they're gonna want it back.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think it depends on what "like that" is. if he says more troops are needed in iraq, sure. if he makes anti-muslim remarks and says the WOT is really a battle between christianity and islam and he answers only to god, nope.

18. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was this serious?

The reason Taiwan is such a big deal is because they have a GDP of $500 Billion

Thats $22000 per person

whereas China has a GDP of 7.2 Trillion

thats $5300 per person.

It's all money... Not some art that may or may not exist in some secret mountain vault.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Deferential treatment?

20. tristan macrumors 6502a

I think China's strategy is to exploit weaknesses in our capitalist and deomcratic system by turning "engagement" back on us. Their idea of engagement is Western banks loaning them capital and Western companies selling them technology and weapons and access to resources and giving them hard currency in exchange for their cheap products. Then if China can hit $12k GDP per capita, their ecnomy will exceed ours, and they'll be able to bury us economically, the way we did the Soviet Union. It's a damn smart strategy.

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

So, you're saying that:
    Sending them our manufacturing/technology
    Selling them our oil companies
    Letting them fund our deficit through buying bonds (or whatever they're called)
    is a bad thing??

22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

If an American General had said such, it would be "the bush administration letting their wild and rabid dogs loose."

The real issue may seem to be Taiwan, but better watch the Spratly Islands

Conventional theory (pardon the pun) has been the first use of Nukes would be at sea, there you can test resolve without as much co-lateral damage. That of course was the thought for decades. The Spratly Islands are and have been hotly contested for their potential oil reserves. We have been monitoring that hotbed for nearly 20 years. China has made some big moves there over the years, building fortified facilities on atolls that they claim, while the other 6 or so countries fuss and fret. That is were conflict is most likely to come to fact.

23. tristan macrumors 6502a

Well, letting them fund our deficit is a good thing. :)

24. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Yup! There's no way they're gonna nuke a country that owes them much money ^_^

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes. you're right about the economic importance of taiwan to china, i was simply providing a little known reason. and the mountain vault isn't secret.