China 'to overtake US on science' in two years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Mar 29, 2011.

1. macrumors 603

Stella

China is on course to overtake the US in scientific output possibly as soon as 2013 - far earlier than expected. That is the conclusion of a major new study by the Royal Society, the UK's national science academy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12885271T

2. macrumors G4

skunk

How do you measure "scientific output"? On a purely numerical basis?

3. simsaladimbamba

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12885271

4. macrumors 6502

China will be the number 1 World leader in many fields within a decade.

Take what you see coming from China on a daily basis and multiply that by 100... Their cards are kept close to the chest!

5. macrumors G4

skunk

6. macrumors 6502

This is science... Numerics are implied

7. Guest

AAPLaday

I reckon India will be the next 'China' in the next 20 or so years

8. macrumors 6502

I've spent time in both countries covering various locations... In my opinion India will never be able to organise itself and work together for the greater good to be a real world power.

9. macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

The glory days of the west are waning. The empire never ended.

10. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Although I've never been there I agree with you. India has too much corruption and too much poverty. The few bright spots in India are easily overshadowed.

11. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Historically they have been #1 and #2 so it would be expected.

12. macrumors 601

The empire never ended?

As far as I know they're all one with Nineveh and Tyre…

13. macrumors 68020

freeny

But we have Creationism, so all is ok.

14. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can not say that I surprised by this.

China is going to become number 1 in that area at some point just because of raw population size.

1.3 billion vs 315 million. Kind of a huge difference.

15. macrumors 6502a

Surprised to see the UK up that high on the list.

16. macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

This reminds me that I once rejected a paper submitted by a Chinese group because of the 32 references they cited, 31 shared co-authors with the article I was refereeing (basically ignoring all research on the topic outside their own lab). Maybe they submitted the paper to the next journal on their list until they got it published.

I should add, though, that I have also seen very good work from Chinese colleagues, it just tends to be more the exception than the rule.

17. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

UK Universities are very, very good.

18. macrumors 603

appleguy123

This honestly doesn't surprise me. Just yesterday on my Facebook I had some creationist decide to tell me that 'Evolution was stupid'. And that I am an idiot for 'believing in it.' I have a quote from it, I'm not even going to bother fixing the grammar.
    This comment got several likes.
    I think that in America we have a fundamental disconnect between science and the laypeople. It is popular on TV or in person to flaunt your ignorance of science as though it qualified you for some award.
    Science is seen as something separate from our culture, even diatonically opposed to it. Imagine if someone flaunted their ignorance of Shakespeare or of World War II. They would be laughed at. This is because History and Literature are parts of our culture, and until Science can do the same, we will continue to fall behind other countries.

19. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Honestly I would have liked that post too, but only for the word "flaud." :p

20. macrumors 68000

Sydde

You found it flaudable?

21. macrumors 604

gkarris

There's people that would disagree: The Wright Brothers, Thomas Edison, John Glenn, the list goes on and on...

Though I would agree that the amount of people who believe Science is important has greatly diminished lately.

FYI: Many nowadays don't even know about Shakespeare or WWII... :eek:

22. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Much of this is scaremongering - the Chinese publish more papers, therefore they have "overtaken us in science". It sounds like a grade school playground argument.

23. macrumors 603

appleguy123

But do they advertise their ignorance in Literature or History? I haven't ran into it.
    Many people see a lack of scientific knowledge as some cool new age trend. I'm not just talking about Creationism either.
    -Homeopathy
    -Faith healing
    -Psychics
    -Those apply kinesiology bracelets
    -The resurgence of old pagan religions
    -ghosts and spiritualism
    I could go on.
    All of these things are side effects of science not being part of our culture in the same way that other subjects are.

24. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

99% of your religious fundamentalists and New Agers make a beeline to the hospital in the event of serious injury or illness. That in itself ought to demonstrate how much stock we all put in science. People talk of faith and/or alternative medicine, but if it's a choice between a known treatment and death...

25. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Clearly if you break your arm, you will go to a real doctor, but how many people in 1st world countries with real medicine try homeopathy or other alternative medicines for things like insomnia or colds or even cancer treatments(because many believe that chemo is worse than cancer).
    Also what about that anti-vaccine movement that still has adherents even though we have known that the science behind its link to Autism is bunk for some time?