China Unicom Begins iPhone 5 Reservations, Gets 100,000 First-Day Reservations

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 3, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just a couple days after the iPhone 5 received final regulatory certification in China, Sina Tech is reporting that China Unicom has started reservations for iPhone 5. China Unicom received 100,000 reservations in the first day, by 4pm local time, and required an ID card and other personal information to reserve an iPhone 5 for the first day.

[​IMG]
    China Unicom rival China Telecom has reportedly been taking iPhone 5 reservations for weeks, including 5,000 reservations on Sunday. Apple today announced that 50 countries would be receiving the iPhone 5 in December, with China being one of them.

Article Link: China Unicom Begins iPhone 5 Reservations, Gets 100,000 First-Day Reservations

2. macrumors 65816

JoEw

That is a lot of phones.

3. macrumors 603

nfl46

Just realize how amazing the iPhone 5 looks.

4. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Not surprising... Dem' billion people :cool:

5. macrumors 6502

Considering the size of China's mobile phone market, not really.

6. macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

Whatcha talkin' bout?

Of course that is a huge number. 1st day preorders of 100,000+, in the first day. Give it a few more days and see, then post again. :apple:

Edit: That is only one carrier, I believe, there are 3 Chinese carriers selling the iPhone 5. What till the other carriers numbers start coming in.

7. macrumors member

Wait until they hit the stores. There will be line ups.

8. macrumors 6502

That's not a huge number, even with ID's required because of the black market, and only one carrier - with 5 years of pent up demand there should have been more orders.

9. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

yes and no

Right and wrong. Considering the size of China's mobile phone market, yes, but most people are still using non-smartphone phones, so it's a quite significant number.

10. macrumors 68020

Wait a second here..... The iPhone 5, which is assembled in China, needs certification to work...... in China??? :confused:

11. macrumors 6502

Yes, China has three carriers but only one, China Mobile, with 600 million customers, doesn't carry the iPhone, officially. That's the carrier that really counts.

12. macrumors 68000

thewitt

Of course.

Not only does it require certification, the Chinese government needs to decide to allow the sale. There is no free market in China. You need government permission to bring in any new product.

13. macrumors newbie

zoroasterianism

just 100,000 :D come on people

14. macrumors member

Of course. Just like a US made device need FCC approval before they can go on sale in the US.

All devices going on sale in one region needs the approval of the regulatory agencies in that region - regardless of where they are made.

15. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Agreed. That is alot of phones in one day for only one carrier.

Interested to see how many phones will move on launch day in China.

16. macrumors newbie

I always love Apple products. 2 year ago I bought a iphone 4 and it still working perfectly. Even having any problem. So now I'm waiting to receive my new iphone 5. its on the way. ;)