Chinao "Slim Line" Leather Case for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jedolley, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 68000

I figured this case should have its own thread since it's currently being discussed in the Yoobao thread. This case was first mentioned by SchneiderMan here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10684308&postcount=680. It appears to be VERY similar to the Apple iPad Case, but in a nicer leather like material.

I purchased one just a moment ago and it's supposed to ship out early next week.

http://shop.ebay.com/kevikevdottcom/m.html?_nkw=chinao&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

2. macrumors 6502a

I think it's what I want, hopefully not cheap feeling. Why the ugly? holes in the back? if its for cooling, I bet the rubber Apple case breathes less than most leathers. Will the inside flap stay tight like the rubbery apple one?
    Why it took 4 months for anyone to come out with a leather Apple style case is crazy.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Weird, I don't see those holes on the back of the black version.

4. macrumors member

Holes in back

yes there are holes on the back of all of them and yes the flap stays tight. they are noticable when the ipad is inserted,, they just help it breath..

5. macrumors 6502a

Do you have one in hand, or referring to pix and info you got?
    thanks.

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

This pic of the back seems to differ from the red and brown. The tab looks different and there are no holes.

Attached Files:

7. macrumors member

Black Case Back

The flap on the back is the same as the other ones,, thanks for bringing that to my attention, heck I didnt notice that, and yes there are holes in the back i will post new photos in a few....good looking out excuse the photo too tired to make it pretty

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

ugh, yeah not happy about that.

9. macrumors member

its not that bad

youll find that it really is nice and that it better then the other design,,, as far as the holes your not going to see then unless your looking straight down and have a flash shinng on it... plus that flap really helps when your gripping it in one hand... it is the best case have ever had

10. macrumors 6502a

thanks for the new photo, I hope you sell a lot, but for me, I'm tending to no. Closer to $40 maybe, almost $55 hmm. It's nicer than others in many ways, but, at the least, it's not a flattering photo, the flash hopefully overhighlights the look of the 'air' holes and the stitching, leather looks nothing special, I'd want black stitching and no holes. It's probably hard to produce a leather case this thin without some compromises.
    I admit, a leather case like I expect would probably be even more, but I can live with the Apple case for now.

11. macrumors member

i admit it is a bad photo

It does come with a matching pouch for your charger and USB cable.. Yes it is a terrible photo and does this case no justice, the stiching and the holes are not that noticable in normal light and the holes look black.. i guess i should have taking my time with the photos, but oh well i know its one of the best cases on the market and will get the reviews once in hand...Thanks for your time...

12. macrumors 6502a

I agree, anything lit up in a shiny closeup is not gonna show how it looks normally. god knows how I look in a flashy closeup! I'll keep it on my list. maybe some more shots of the leather itself, it looked really good in the other photos. I like the black best.

13. macrumors member

it is very nice

i will just have to wait for those that have it to be witness, it should be on gadgetmac soon i sent his today....untill then i guess it be known as ugh and ugly lmao i sold my sample cases out before i could finish my frap at starbucks today with out trying so... ill wait and then it will be great...

14. macrumors 68000

cal6n

Why do you claim that they're made of leather when they're really made of ploy-urethane?

15. macrumors 68040

16. macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Good question. I think I'd prefer a leather case.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicast_leather

17. macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking. It's faux leather and $55 to boot.

18. macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Looking forward to seeing some real world pics of this one. Pity about the conspicuous Chinao branding, as the basic design looks good. Will take a lot to prize my iPad out of the Yoobao V3, though.

19. macrumors regular

I am very interested in this case as the only thing holding me back from getting the official Apple case is the terrible material it's made from. My dad has one on his iPad and it picks up dirt and fingerprints like no one's business.

I'm looking forward to the first Macrumors review!

20. macrumors member

Leather

no claim made of being Genuine or real leather, it clearly states that they are made of synthetic leather in the discription, not enough space allowed in the title to put the dictionary description, eg. Yoobao Leather Magic Case, not leather? Its a loosley used term for a type of material. I was not forcing anyone to buy these i was mearly showing a very nice case that is thin light weight and overall a very nice case in a forum full of people looking for thin cases.

21. macrumors 68040

You state "leather" in the ebay listing header, which draws people in, and they might not have a clue that "PU Leather" isn't "real leather".

The problem is, to "most" people, leather is like the definition says - some sort of animal hide.

So calling something that isn't made from animal skin "leather" - isn't cool (and i understand that it isn't just you doing it - i didn't know this before reading about cases for my iPad though!) in a lot of peoples books.

When most people state they want "leather" - they want the real McCoy, not a man-made substitute that is created to fool the eye.

22. thread starter macrumors 68000

I think people are being too nit picky about this. Just about every "faux" leather product on ebay states leather in the title, and MOST of them don't clarify it in the description.

Kevikvedotcom has been very straight forward with this product. His description is more detailed than most and when I placed my order he sent me an e-mail making sure I was aware that the product doesn't ship until Monday. Also, when there was a discrepancy between the mock-up photos and the actual product he took ownership of the issue and corrected it. Even though I might not be as excited about this case as I initially was, I appreciate the communication and service that I have experienced with this seller.

23. macrumors member

hanging head in shame

Im sorry for my wrong, im done out addios....

24. macrumors 68040

I don't shop ebay but like twice in all my 41 years. I wouldn't know what is done - and I imagine that might be similar to a lot of other newbies. I do know to scour the description and be cautious, and i know that people put things in their titles to show up on searches.

That is the type of stuff that "we" (at least myself) wants to hear about regardless of the product. Communication is key in customer service, and he has done well.

Oh please don't go - really, that isn't what I meant by posting. I just wanted to show that when I think "leather" - i think "cows" - and a lot of other posters do too. Obviously the UK and New Zealand don't allow the terms to be used interchangeably, which is interesting in itself. I had no clue what "bicast leather" was until just a few minutes ago!

I really appreciate that in your description you stated PU Leather - i've clicked on a variety of things over the years that didn't, and THAT is huge. I'm not a big ebayer at all (ok, understatement of the year) and recognize totally that you are not doing/saying anything different than anyone else is doing.

For me, i'd have to be able to touch the product to know if i'd be happy with it. Feel is important to me - it's probably why i haven't sprung for another case for my iPad - none to try out in my neck of the woods.

Options in cases are awesome - and I'm hoping that by Christmas there will be even more choices.

25. macrumors member

Pics

CA02-w3x.jpg
    Here

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.