Chinese divorcing for jobs...ya that's what I said

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Aug 18, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

un-linked

Now that is a modern society!

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

okay divorcing someone you love of 10 years to get the job back that you were laid off from... wow, that's just stupid.. talk about about letting the job get to you..

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*shaking head* This doesn't "surprise" me all too much. Having been born here; my parents are Chinese and are first generation here in the States I've seen the significance of steady income, no, the importance of money and material wealth to them (and they're not even that bad compared to some other Asians I know). It is just stifling-- but of course, I had no clue that not all parents/people felt this way until I had gotten a bit older and seen how some of my non-Asian friends' parents/families were like.

That's too bad though, personally, I would assume that a happy marriage is as likely as coming upon a leprechaun's pot of gold at the end of the rainbow-- if you have a happy marriage, keep it! :eek:

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, I think the more reasonable point is not that these people are valuing jobs over marriage (as if their circumstances translate exactly to the same choice in the US) but rather that jobs are scarce enough and bureaucracy idiotic enough in China that this kind of thinking makes sense. After all, marriage is a legal definition, not necessarily the 'true' definition of a relationship. I imagine that these people who are getting divorced for these jobs will continue to live with and love their spouses.

5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I just don't get it, it is a state sponsored company too. What benefit does the employer get from single workers, healthcare costs? what?

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Probably health care and a lot of other benefits. I'm not up on how China is working these days, but my understanding of communist, state-owned enterprises is that they give "to each according to his needs", so if you have a spouse (and kids) you need a bigger house. Lot's of young Russians got married just for the apartment. That's the other side of the equation.

7. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Divorced != Seperated/Broken up

This doesn't seem to indicate that you need to leave your spouse to get your job back, just get a legal divorce. I know culturally/socially/religously marriage is significant. However, in these situations it seems that one could have a legal divorce without any noticable impact on the relationship with one's spouse. Perhaps i wasn't reading between the lines and when the divorce occurs one can no longer co-habitate, be involved, etc. I don't know how intrusive the government is, and if the divorce has to be proven by parting ways.

-Lee

8. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Oh, just get the divorce, get the job back (get your truck back, get your dog back) then remarry the person you got divorced from. Or is my vision just too simplistic?

9. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

imagine the US or a western nation saying you can have your job back if you're not married.
    A marine Gen tried that with new recruits a few years back was lambasted to retirement.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

11. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I think it's too simplistic. The company can probably track if you re-marry, and you'd just lose the job again. But what a weird requirement.

BTW, what's the line about "have you eaten?" Is that a common greeting?
    -Chase

12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

That got to me to. Like some sort of bizzaro world or something.

It doesn't give much info on why they need to get divorced, must be some sort of spousal benefit thing that makes the company pay more money than they would with someone who is single?

But weird weird wierd. :confused:

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Heh... this is one of the many reasons why communism is an utter failure in practical application.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Or it would be, if China had a communist economic system at this point.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Chinese divorcing for jobs

Wow, that is just weird. Could not imagine getting divorced after 10 years of a good marriage. Definitely the weirdest thing I came across today. Amazing... :rolleyes:

16. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

What is that? ~.12%? Yea, they have a real divorce problem... :rolleyes:

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True.
    I hate to think about what the divorce rate is here in the states. :eek:

18. angelneo macrumors 68000

Yelp, that is a common greeting. That greetings links back to one of human most basic need, kinda of like re-enforcing their priority on the bare essentials. Like devilot76 mentions, chinese culture, in general, places a pretty high priority on money, job stability (other survival requirement as well) and also social status.

19. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Hey a job is a job. All you people who think they they are stupid for doing this just for a job are blind to the world. Bush politics for ya. Why don't you resettle down here in furniture capitol usa, where we have lost 65% of our jobs in the past four years due to imports and see how long it takes you to be willing to suck a **** for a minimum wage job at wendies. Hickory NC, has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation right now And now our biggest employer Comm/Scope is looking to relocate to either Mexico or China. When that happens (which is IS going to) we can kiss another 10,000 jobs goodbye. The second biggest employer in Catawaba county right now is the school system. Thats a VERY bad thing seeing how our schools are 39% over capacity. The third biggest employer is Tenet Health Care, which only operates 1 hospital, and 2 Emergency clinics.

Divorcing your spouse for a job? Hell thats nothing, I know people who would let their spouse shoot them for a job. I run a small advertising based local newspaper in the area and my business has decreased by over 50% in the past 5 years. My family and I still get by, but the same can not be said for my friends and neighbors. I recieve WELL over 100 applications a week from people who are so desperate for work that the will do the most demeaning task 80 hours a week for minimum wage, $5.15 an hour. No joke, I get a lot of applicants who put down on the application/resume that they are more than willing to work for below minimum wage, night or day , shoveling **** or wiping my ass, as long as their is a paycheck involved. Just the other day I had a guy come in and literally beg me for work, he told me he would do whatever I wanted, just so long as I payied his electric bill and gave him 50 dollars a week to buy food for his family of six. Even though I really can not afford another employee, I hired him. He has a background in carpentry and the building we are located in is over 75 years old, so I figured if nothing else we will have new paint, and his family will eat. At 47 years old this man broke down on his hands and knees and bawled his eyes out when I told him that I would give him 40 solid hours a week, for $8.00 an hour, with health insurance and 2 weeks sick pay/year, to do maintenance that he knew I could do myself. When I told my wive, she chewed me out until she found out the cause. I got extra special lovin' that night (all you married guys know what i mean) :D

Anyway, the point of my ramblings is that never, NEVER look down upon those who do anything for a good job. I would divorce my wife in a second if it ment a good job with benefits. Thank god we live in a country that doesn't make us jump through hoops for a decent chance a happiness. Wait a minute.....

:uncalled for political sarcasm:
    I can hear some people thinking: well what about the sanctity of marriage?
    I don't have the answer you want, go ask Brittany spears or most any other singer/movie star, for they surely understand the sanctity of marriage. God know gay/lesbian people don't. :rolleyes:

20. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

As for the greeting "Have you eaten?" , I know for sure that in India.. guests are pampered and greeted with food the minute they arrive. Its like, if I go to a friend's house here.. I'll be greeted with "Hey, want a drink or something?" .. in India it'd be "What would you like to eat?" Actually, they don't even ask you what you want..they just come and serve a plate full of tempting food rightaway! I don't mean a six course meal.. but a lot of snacks or starters, etc. They put a lot of emphasis on food (no fat people there though!) and its a way of adding to that hospitality touch.

I'm not sure if that's a similar case in China, but I'm sure it must be..and as for everyone being shocked about the divorce rate in China, I think its pretty negligible compared to the divorce rate in the United States. Modernisation and westernisation always leads to marital problems and causes increased stress on the family.. it has to happen. I'm not going to say that its a men vs women situation but when you have a household with two independent people living in it, and neither of them compromises on their job/work to look after the family.. oh yeah, it wont last long. Thats one of the side effects of development I guess.

21. mpw Guest

~0.495%, the same site has China's divorce rate as ~0.079% so if last year that had risen sharply to ~0.12% and this is the start of an upward trend it could be significant to the Chinese culture.

22. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

sssh! don't give the jackasses who run our country anymore smart ideas. oh wait. marriage is entirely too sacred. they'll never tamper with that one.

carry on. ;)

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Totally agree. A man providing for his family is a noble thing.

BTW, this divorce concept is minor compared to what I've seen living around the world.

BTW, sorry to hear things are bad where you live RDH. Hopefully they will get better for you and your community.

Sushi

24. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'd amend your first line and say a man or woman, black or white or gray, gay or lesbian, providing for their family is a noble thing. ;)

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can't just say that people who divorce for jobs is stupid. It is seen as stupid in our reality.......in our society. Your reality isn't the same as theirs, and by saying that they're greedy or selfish may be oversimplifying things.