Chinese gamer sentenced to life

Discussion in 'Games' started by neildmitchell, Jun 14, 2005.

1. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

BBC NEWS

A Shanghai online gamer has been given a suspended death sentence for killing a fellow gamer.

Qiu Chengwei stabbed Zhu Caoyuan in the chest when he found out he had sold his virtual sword for 7,200 Yuan (£473).

The sword, which Mr Qiu had lent to Mr Zhu, was won in the popular online game Legend of Mir 3.

Attempts to take the dispute to the police failed because there is currently no law in China to protect virtual property.

Appeal plea

Buying and selling gaming artefacts such as imaginary weapons is a booming business on the web.

The internet games section of Ebay saw more than $9m (£5m) in trades in 2003.

While China has no laws to deal with the theft of virtual property, South Korea has a section of its police force that investigates in-game crime.

Dragon sabre

According to the Chinese press, more and more gamers are seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits accumulated in games.

In this case, Mr Zhu did offer to hand over the cash but Mr Qiu lost patience and stabbed him with "great force" according to media reports.

The suspended sentence given to Qiu means he could spend the rest of his life behind bars, although it could be reduced to 15 years for good behaviour.

The parents of the dead man are planning to appeal against the sentence.

"My son was only 26 when he died. He was sleeping when Qiu broke into his home. He was barely able to put his pants on before Qiu stabbed him," said his father, Zhu Huimin.

"We want Qiu to die, and immediately," he added.

The case has led to a debate about where the law stands on virtual property, such as the dragon sabre owned by Qiu.

Following the case, associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China said that such weapons should be deemed as private property because players "have to spend time and money for them".

But a lawyer for one Shanghai-based internet game company told a Chinese newspaper that the weapons were in fact just data created by games providers and therefore not the property of gamers.

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

This is a very sad story and provides a telling picture of our culture where human life is not held in high regard by a large number of earth’s inhabitants, but I think reaching for my Levi's would not be my first instinct when someone comes after me with a knife.

3. macapple macrumors member

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And this is why my children will be outside being active and staying healthy by playing sports, camping, swimming, and all sorts of fun activities, not wasting their lives away by sitting infront of a screen being bombarded with radiation and living in a virtual world with no sense of reality.

Killing someone over a "virtual sword"?!? People like this need to get a grip on reality. Simply pathetic. :cool:

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I once talked to a guy that caught someone trying to steal the stereo out of his car. The thief pulled out a knife and the car owner kept coming at him out of anger. He got stabbed and nearly died. Lived to tell the story though. He said that if you ever come up on someone with a knife who is threatening you with it to turn and walk (or run) away. He said that for about 3 months, every breath he took felt like the knife was going in again :(

6. AnewMac macrumors regular

I second this thought. Some people take their video games way to serious.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with video games, they are simply another form of entertainment, which is fine - however, as with everything else, the principle of "everything in moderation" applies.

Playing a game here or there, sure, that's fun - I like playing games too from time to time. Where you run into problems, such as in this situation, is when you have these kids who are addicted to video games. The games consume them, they think about their games all the time, and play for hours on end, wasting the nights/early mornings away. Some of these kids would rather play in these massive multiplayer online universes then live and interact with the real world, which is simply sad, shocking and alarming. What happens when they "grow up" and realize they don't have a clue how to interact with society because they've essentially been reaised in a "Sim World"? And don't even get me started on the impact that has to a person's health, both mentally and physically.

Perhaps they spend hours upon hours in these virtual worlds because the real world doesn't interest them. If so, then let me say it again - how pathetic... :cool:

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and here i thought that just being able to sell virtual items was pathetic, but killing someone over it is just downright inhumane, stupid, and borders on insanity

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

That's insane. I remember reading about that virual-house that was sold for thousands of $$$$.

Virtual sword? WTF!

Some people just need a serious reality check.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Some people take their games way too seriously, period. I'd guess the number of people killed in various riots at sports games over the years dwarfs the number of video game deaths. And that's even more senseless, if possible.

--Eric

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

This is paranoia. I just cannot accept that some people obsess over a game so much that they reach a certain point where they take their virtual property so seriously, that they are becoming able of commiting murder!

And I believe that we haven't seen the worst of it yet...

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

It's also pathetic when a hockey player's father kills another player's father, over a dispute in a youth sports competition.

This is a greater problem with society, not necessarily video games.

13. benbondu macrumors regular

I don't think the fact the sword was 'virtual' has anything to do with the nature of the crime. The point is person B stole something of some monetary value from person A and then sold it for a little under $1000. Person A killed the thief. If the item in question was an actual long piece of metal which happened to be worth $1000 in the open market, would our reaction be any different?

People overvalue stuff all of the time. I don't really see the virtual goods market as being any more or less pathetic as say, trading cards. Trading cards maybe isn't the best example, but there's probably something you place value on that a majority of people in the world would have no reason to value at all.

I don't buy the fact that those virtual weapons only belong to the game developers. If the game developers want exclusive rights to the items they create, they need to add an agreement to their game which makes private resale of the items illegal. I doubt the creaters of the game are very interested in doing that though. eBay certainly wouldn't want to see that happen.

The most interesting part of this article is that there's no law in China to protect virtual property. I don't even know if there's such a law in the states.

If you want to claim that sitting in front of a computer playing video games all day made this person more prone to violence, that's something else. But there are plenty of peaceful video game geeks in the world.

14. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

But wait...not that I defend this idiocy, BUT is it any worse than that @#$% of a dad that killed the other dad over high school hockey or whatever the hell it was?

15. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

I should read everyone's posts first. :)

16. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

This is just sickening if you think about it.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Absolutely, I agree - I was not meaning to say that this was isolated purely to video games.

See my above comment. :)

18. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Wow, now i am really going to think twice before i violate someone's dead body on Halo 2.

A "virtual sword"..jeez gimme a break, although i do feel bad for the families of both the victim and the murderer.

19. rbo macrumors newbie

Isn't anyone else slightly disturbed by the urgency in that statement?

20. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

In a world where people are killed for a pair of shoes, or something else totally wortheless, i can understand the rage the parents feel.

The parent's response is a bit disturbing, but then again, the whole situation is pretty disturbing as well.

If i were in the parents place, i doubt that i would feel much different. The bad thing is that i feel dirty admiting that. Strange times we live in.. :(

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

[​IMG]

Too bad we can't reformat his brain.

Of course this is China where it's possible he may be parted out and recycled. :(

22. crachoar macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter if it's a video game, a real life sport, a game of connect four -

The fact of the matter is, somebody had something taken from them that meant a lot to them. They got angry and murdered the person responsible.

This happens every day. It has happened since the dawn of time. It will continue to happen until our planet explodes. Get used to it.

23. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Are you saying that we should get used to murder?

Yes it happens every day, but i dont think that i can get used to the idea of it happening mutiple times each and every day. I can understand the rage involved on both sides in this case, but i am wondering where people's sense of morals and right and wrong has gone.

Having something stolen is not a right to kill. I refuse to "get used to it".

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

and then next you will hear about another coach being beaten by parents, or kids being attacked by parents during football games. Or that kid that was shot during a pop-warner football game.

Don't think sports are a lot safer than the internet

but yeah for some reason this world is just getting weirder and weirder.

But i will say this, that this person was killed over a video game and that got it to be on the news. But how many other people were killed in china on that exact same day, but it wasn't on the news?????

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

It's not a video game issue. How about the hockey dad who beat someone to death over his son's pee wee hockey game?

I'm not saying video games are better (or as healty) than outdoor, active persuits, but this isn't really about a video game. Random, tragic violence happens in the "real world" all the time too.

edit: I see a bunch of people beat me to it, and even used my exact example. /blush I should read the whole thread first. :D