Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
I love my iPhone but if I was one of Apple's price sensitive customers who would have previously purchased last years model I'd feel insulted and patronized by this for sure. It's like they don't expect me to understand they took last year's model and changed it up.

Next year it will be:

6 - Best
5S - Midgrade
5C - Low End

which makes me wonder what will happen the year after?

6S - Best
6- Midgrade
?? - Low End

next year

6S
6C
5S

patohi

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Guess what?
Apple can change the price if it really wants to!
If sales don't hit targets then they could chop 100 off... I see this phone giving them price flexibility. I'm happy because my iPhone 5 isn't going to drop in value as much as I thought it would with a super cheap iPhone... People are hating tho, stock is down 5%

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Then why is Apple stock still tanking? :eek:

I like my Apple gizmos just as much as anyone but I think Wall Street was pretty much underwhelmed with yesterday's Keynote/Costello concert.

Tim's gotta go. :(

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I love my iPhone but if I was one of Apple's price sensitive customers who would have previously purchased last years model I'd feel insulted and patronized by this for sure. It's like they don't expect me to understand they took last year's model and changed it up.

Next year it will be:

6 - Best
5S - Midgrade
5C - Low End

6S - Best
6- Midgrade
?? - Low End

It's hard to figure what Apple's plans are for models and product names. Hopefully they simplify it. I think they should have called the 5S the 6. It would be easier to name phones after the processor or generations and then add suffixes for other things like C. That would have allowed this:

2013:
5C
4S

2014:
6C
5C

Too many S's and C's now. And this year's C is too expensive ;)

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Guess what?
If sales don't hit targets then they cold chop 100 off... I see this phone giving them price flexibility. I'm happy because my iPhone 5 isn't going to drop in value as much as I thought it would with a super cheap iPhone... People are hating tho, stock is down 5%

lol, when have you even seen Apple sacrifice margins to hit sales targets?

patohi

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
And almost forgot
The 4 and 4s had glass backs... Much cheaper then say all aluminum... They had to do this when the 5c moves down and becomes free next year...

Last edited:

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
I disagree. The bigger screen can sell for $299, and there will be lots of buyers (myself included) for it; at the same time Apple can keep the 5s. As for support and infrastructure, Apple has the money to do it.

A bigger screen is a huge win for consumers, probably a huge loss for Apple both in terms of margins, the supply chain, and support infrastructure.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I disagree. The bigger screen can sell for $299, and there will be lots of buyers (myself included) for it; at the same time Apple can keep the 5s. As for support and infrastructure, Apple has the money to do it.

again, apple is not in the game of low margin business. I think from a consumer point of view, this might not make sense. I want a bigger screen too man.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The new iPhone 5s and the lower-cost iPhone 5c will be available in stores in China, the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, and the UK starting on September 20.

This IS racist. I can understand China first as this is an article about China. But then have the USA and everyone else in alpha order, not keep the USA in alpha order with the rest? Quite racist indeed.

kckl

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
Arizona
Come on, they have to release it worldwide otherwise people around the world will complain. But obviously it's targeted for China. If people wants cheaper phone, there is a lot of choices out there. Don't need to buy Apple. Just like Mercedes, they don't make cheap models to compete with Kia/Hyundai.

I'm sure people here in this forum has more intelligence than guys in Apple deciding the pricing:)

Why do people keep saying that? It's complete nonsense. It's targeted at anyone and everyone who simply want a cheaper iPhone. It's going to be on sale worldwide.

Stef4n

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
We are not talking about average income. We are here talking about the 5% population who have $10k income, which is about 65 million people

And that should be the "huge" targeted market for apple? Common if half of those people buy on, they reach 2,5% of the population

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
At $739 (16GB) and $869 (32GB) for the 5C here in Australia, I fail to see how it's the cheaper alternative. Pretty sure I paid $950 for the 4S back in the day.. 64GB 5S $1,129! You can buy macbook airs (basic) for $799 at the moment locally.. I just don't see how the price is justified..

Wait until reported sales come out in four or five months.

----------

Guess what?
If sales don't hit targets then they could chop 100 off... I see this phone giving them price flexibility. I'm happy because my iPhone 5 isn't going to drop in value as much as I thought it would with a super cheap iPhone... People are hating tho, stock is down 5%

Good point. My perfectly good 32 GB 5 goes on Ebay at the end of September when I get the 5S. I'm due for an upgrade price from AT&T so I might as well get a new phone. So by the end of September I expect to have a new iPhone and net $200 in my pocket. Maybe I will be able to sell it for even more than I hoped :D

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Guess what?
If sales don't hit targets then they could chop 100 off... I see this phone giving them price flexibility.

Doing that or doing it too soon could give the impression that the 5C is a flop and Apple needed to cut prices to drive sales, a strategy which Nokia, Blackberry, et al have had to resort to.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Come on, they have to release it worldwide otherwise people around the world will complain. But obviously it's targeted for China. If people wants cheaper phone, there is a lot of choices out there. Don't need to buy Apple. Just like Mercedes, they don't make cheap models to compete with Kia/Hyundai.

I'm sure people here in this forum has more intelligence than guys in Apple deciding the pricing:)

That's completely wrong. It's not targeted at China. The iPhone 5C is twice the price of the local competition. You think Apple would have done that if it was targeted primarily at China?

The 5C was simply meant to be a different take on the iPhone. More colourful and a bit cheaper - I think their target market is simply a younger audience. The so called iPod generation who've grown up with colourful devices and are not quite ready for the more conservatively styled 5S.

You're making the same incorrect assumptions that all the analysts made which is why the stock is down nearly 10% since the announcements.

Craiglorocks

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010

I like my Apple gizmos just as much as anyone but I think Wall Street was pretty much underwhelmed with yesterday's Keynote/Costello concert.

They received a downgrade by many of the major financial groups because of the announcement. Most analysts feel they really dropped the ball on creating a product that is cost efficient enough to tap emerging markets.

Should be interesting to see how in pans out.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Have the iPhone 4 and 4S been re-designed to have Lightning interface connectors, and not the 30-pin? I thought Apple was trying to do away with 30-pin completely from this point going forward.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
lol, when have you even seen Apple sacrifice margins to hit sales targets?

They cut the price of the original iPhone by $200 after barely 60 days on the market, that's when. And at the time it caused such a massive uproar that Steve Jobs himself finally had to issue a statement in regard to it.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

Stocks tank when the market gets something they don't expect. Which is virtually every Apple product announcement. The immediate reaction is one of surprise, not reasoned analysis (sometimes I question if that ever happens), don't think too much about it.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
They received a downgrade by many of the major financial groups because of the announcement. Most analysts feel they really dropped the ball on creating a product that is cost efficient enough to tap emerging markets.
Yes, Apple basically chose profits over market share. In a devious way... that's kind of reassuring because it means they will maintain their build quality. At least for now and for those who can afford it

Should be interesting to see how in pans out.
Still think Tim's gotta go. He's a Bean Counter. Not a presenter and certainly not a motivator.

Stocks tank when the market gets something they don't expect. Which is virtually every Apple product announcement.
But I don't think it's every happened the very DAY of any keynote. Typically this only happens a few weeks later as the hype and enthusiasm dwindles.

No. This is different.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Next year it will be:

6 - Best
5S - Midgrade
5C - Low End

6S - Best
6- Midgrade
?? - Low End

I would not be surprised to see something more like this for 2014:
6 - Best (definitely new internals; classy metal externals, probably bigger screen)
6C - Midgrade (internals identical to 5S; colorful externals identical to 5C)
6 mini - Low End ("brand new" model using the old 3.5" screen, plastic like a C, but black added as a color option, and internals from the 5)

This strategy would still see three tiers of CPU horsepower as established by each generation (exactly like they've been doing it). Only the top tier would use metal. Both bottom tiers use plastic so Apple can better maximize margins on them. With the flagship most likely getting a phablet screen, they can simultaneously release a "mini" on the low end to appease both phablet haters and "free-only" consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.