Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Hi

I am trying to read a Powerpoint file that has been sent to me. It contains pinyin with tone marks.

Unfortunately, the tone marks and some of the letters are not showing up.

For example, some letters (and their tones) are missing. I get the underscore character in place of the missing letter:

N_ xìng shén me
W_ xìng
N_ sh_ n_ gu_ r_n

I have tried highlighting text and replacing the font to the Chinese fonts already on my Powerbook G4 (running the latest version of OSX) - like Apple LiSung Light and Apple LiGothic Medium etc - but that doesn't help with the pinyin (although the previously invisible Chinese characters show up).

What can I can do?

Thanks in advance!

D

dama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Just solved my own problem. For anyone with the same issue, I just discovered that I can open the file with the fonts displaying perfectly in Keynote.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just solved my own problem. For anyone with the same issue, I just discovered that I can open the file with the fonts displaying perfectly in Keynote.

Interesting! Are you using Office.X or Office 2004? And do you know if the file was created in Office or in Keynote, out of curiosity?

dama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
I'm using Office vX. I have been told that Office 2004 is less problematic.

The file was created using MS Powerpoint, not Keynote, which is why I am surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.