Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
This all smells like disinformation to me. My guess is this is part of Tim's doubling down on security. I find it hard to believe leaks would become MORE common after such a statement.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I think Apple will do what they did with the iPhone 4. Make everyone make crazy rumours and mock ups but then release something that no one was expecting.

(Ignoring the fact that some Apple employee lost an iPhone 4 prototype in a bar months before its release and caused most of the rumours to be scarily accurate.)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
This all smells like disinformation to me. My guess is this is part of Tim's doubling down on security. I find it hard to believe leaks would become MORE common after such a statement.

some leaks can't be prevented..... they have to start mass producing the phone soon so it's not unlikely that there are leaks.

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
Yeah right and I have a bridge in Manhattan for sale...
Except that it was London.

The reference is to London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, which was bought from the City of London in the 60s. It was sold because the bridge was no longer able to support the traffic required of it, and a replacement needed to be built. It was sold to the Arizona developers, shipped over, and then rebuilt. There is a persistent rumour (although there is no evidence of this) that they thought they were getting Tower bridge, not London bridge. Hence the use of the "and if you believe that, I've a bridge to sell you" phrase to imply that the person must be extremely gullible.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The iPhone 4 did have a flaw it in...which they fixed with the 4S.

Did you forget about all this?

You mean the one that actually only affected like 1/100th of 1% of units in the US and 1/1000th of that many outside of the US. And every affected person only had an issue cause they were in an area with crap cell service

Consumer reports mentioned the service quality issue but everyone was quick to drop that from their quoting. Most of the folks griping even said 'but my service has always been crap'. And after that big to do there were other phones that got press for the same 'flaw'

And before you bring up the bumpers, Apple did that as a cheap placebo to keep folks happy and not filling lawsuit after lawsuit. Same as managers at stores giving away cheap free stuff to get a yelling customer out of the store. Appeasing someone with a pair of headphones that cost them $10 to make is easier than the disruption of someone being pissed he has to make an appointment to pay to have them replace his busted up dropped phone and he wants to yell about it for an hour. Loudly. And crudely. And yeah I've see it happen when I've been in to pick up equipment. Seen it a lot in fact. People in LA can really be angry entitled douche bags. Glad I'm not from here

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Wonder how many vendors are going to get burned this time making cases for an iPhone based on these mockups that turns out to never exist.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
I think Apple will do what they did with the iPhone 4. Make everyone make crazy rumours and mock ups but then release something that no one was expecting.

(Ignoring the fact that some Apple employee lost an iPhone 4 prototype in a bar months before its release and caused most of the rumours to be scarily accurate.)
I don't think that happend with the iPhone 4.

It definitely happend with the iPhone 4S. Many people were predicting new designs and hardware and Apple surprised them by giving them... the same phone.

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Hopefully not

As we know, iOS 6 won't have "really" new features (for me only the privacy mode is interesting) - so if Apple sticks to it's meanwhile 3 year old design and only stretches the device, they will loose uncounted customers. I personally see no reason to substitute my iPhone 4 for this.

p.s. Android is no option either -1st i don't like Google, 2nd it's way to fragmented and 3rd the size of the top-phones is ridiculous. Maybe i'll use my creditcard sized jogging phone more.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Not gonna lie, I prefer the overall shape of the Galaxy S3 over the shape of the iPhone 4/4s. As far as build quality, I'm sure the iPhone blows it out of the water. But I do like the curves that the Galaxy S3 has...

Is the Galaxy 3 behind that mini tablet on the right? Seriously, at some point, these Android phones are just mini tablets....I see people with them and it's just not something I want to carry around...it's a phone....

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
You mean the one that actually only affected like 1/100th of 1% of units in the US and 1/1000th of that many outside of the US. And every affected person only had an issue cause they were in an area with crap cell service
1/100th of 1% is 1/10000th, FYI.

And it wasn't the crap cell service, they were "just holding it wrong". Tee-hee.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have to agree with you. When you buy a new product, whether it's a pair of running shoes, a car or a new phone, you want it to be different, with a new look,

I don't. I'm not obsessed like you over this need for different. I want something that works. Even with running shoes. They are for running, not fashion. They need to be sturdy and comfortable. Whether they looklike the pair they are replacing doesn't matter to me.

When it comes to tech I'm the same. I really don't care that my iMac looks just like the two before it. Or that my new iPhone and iPad fit in the same cases, docks etc. oh wait, yeah that does matter, it's a reason to want them to stay the same.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
You know, the screen rotates when you turn the device upside down :D

The native OS definitely does NOT rotate if you turn it upside down. You just get everything upside down with the 4 dock icons on top. The iPad however is a different story.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I hope they go back to the curved back. It's far more comfortable in my hand, at least.

obey

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
This design is okay, but Apple PLEASE make us have a larger screen. pl0xxx

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
this design looks legit

Legit, and thoroughly boring.

A minuscule increase in display size, just so they can claim it has a "larger display"... yeah right :eek:

I'll keep my iPhone 4S, till the button quits, calling it fun while it lasted.

Apple simply doesn't quite get it. Their fear of a modern sized display combined with their love of using the well worn excuse "it's too hard on the app developers", is total crap.

Since when has Apple let others influence what they do?

Riding on their laurels will satisfy the Johnny Lunchbuckets of the world, simply because they have no clue. But those of us who _KNOW_ what Apple is truly capable of... will instantly recognize this as the profit taking, cost cutting measure it is.

The good news, is Apple's skill at taking advantage of the unsuspecting public, along with the "oh it's cool" factor will insure massive sales volumes.

Ultimate greed reigns supreme. After all they've got a "Spaceship" to pay for.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I have two hopes for the new iPhone.

1) No bigger than 4"
2) The ugly "two tone look" in leaks is pure BS. If that is real.. yuckkk. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.