Chip Level Teardown of iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2007.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Techonline reports on a chip level teardown of the iPhone, identifying the various componenets it is made up of.

Many of the chips are Apple branded components, making their exact identification more difficult.
  2. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2007
    College Station, Tx
    why would i ever want to tear apart my precious iphone... :(
  3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It just amazes me how much crap they crammed into it.
  4. miketcool macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2003
    Balda did a bang up job with the screen on my SE K800i. Still not a single scratch after riding in my pocket with keys and God knows what else.
  5. Deanster macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2005
    EDITED - I'm wrong about this. See below.

If I understand correctly, the Marvell 88w8686 WLAN chip they show here supports 3G protocols like HSDPA/UMTS - AT&T's 3g network.
  6. princealfie macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
    woww, it's an easter egg of features! :)
  7. Jeef690 macrumors member

Oct 25, 2006
    Where did you find that info? I only read that it was designed to be used in 3g phones!

EDIT: Those Bluecore chips have some EDR standard that I don't really know about.
  8. Deanster macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2005
    Looks like I'm incorrect about that - it actually seems to be a WiFi a/b/g chip targeted at 3G+ handsets... I think I just got that one dead wrong...

The actual GSM/EDGE bits are the Infineon parts. Sorry if I got y'all excited.
  9. sonarghost macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2006
    I read in the Dallas paper that investors wanted to know what brand the components were.. as a matter of fact the day the info came out ALL of the brands on the inside went up in the stock market, Except apple lol:confused:
  10. zgh1999 macrumors 6502

May 27, 2007
    These all confirm my view that the iPhone is in reality a mac that happens to handle phone calls.

Welcome to the super computer running Mac OS X in your pocket -- the future of computing/consumer device.
  11. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2007
    what a neat website.

truely a work of art...the iphone that is.