Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I've suddenly noticed that one of my teeth has a chunk missing on the lower end (along the gumline). There is a lot of dentin exposed, and naturally it is sensitive to hot and cold, and painful if I touch it the wrong way.

My dental appointment is on Tuesday. It is not painful to eat or anything, but are there things that I should be aware of and try to avoid until Tuesday? Will eating at all cause a rapid decay in the exposed dentin? Should I brush it clean after each meal?

Thanks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd ask my dentist.
The one I'm scheduled to visit.
Maybe that's just me.
This +100
My appointment was scheduled a couple weeks ago, unrelated to this chipped tooth. They don't pick up the phone on the weekends.
But from a non dentist to another ...
Yes you should brush. Chip or not, that's just good dental hygiene. If you're in a ton of pain there are dentists that will do work on the weekends as an emergency. Think along the lines of a plumber. You'll be charged a handsome fee. If you can wait, then you should. Decay won't set in over night, but I'd keep things clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.