Choice of Mac for Girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by irbdavid, Sep 26, 2006.

1. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

Girlfriends old HP laptop died last week in a major sort of way - HP want £267 to take it away and fix it. Given that this machine is 3 yrs old, and has a resale value of <£100 on eBay it's just not worth it.

I just bought a MacBook about 2 months ago, and she wants her next computer to be a Mac too, though she's not too fussed about getting a portable, or a high spec machine.

So either I give (by which I mean sell :D) her this MacBook and use this opportunity to upgrade my machine, or she gets a cheap iMac probably (the higher end 17" one). Hypothetically I could get myself a better iMac, either the 20" or the 24" and simultaneously replace my old windows box (could get maybe £100 for it on eBay), and give her this MacBook.

So, the talking point: is a 20" iMac at least partially suitable as a windows gaming machine, and is the 24" (with a 7600GT) that much better that is justifies the extra £s ? Or alternatively, is a low end iMac a good value machine?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think you really mean to say:

So either I sell (by which I mean give :D)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, get her an iMac and keep your MacBook. As a rule of thumb, I avoid selling/giving things like this to girlfriends. They have a habit of backfiring (the transactions, not necessarily the girls).

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good god, for a second there I thought the title of this friend was "Choice of my Mac or my Girlfriend". :eek:

Um....anyway, don't sell this stuff to people who are close. Next thing you know it, your MacBook is going to be mooing, getting weird screen issues, melting and cracked casing near the battery, etc.

5. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I thought more along the lines of "Mac for Girlfriend... hm, yeah, why not? It's a fair trade". :D

6. riciad macrumors 6502

Exactly how I read it as well.

Must be something odd about MR posters that we subliminally think that might be a valid question.

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You mean it isn't?? :confused:

8. mpw Guest

or
    So either I give (by which I mean give, unwitingly agreeing to hand her my very soul at the same time)

9. artmonster macrumors newbie

I bought my girlfriend a MacBook for college graduation. She loves it. Perfect for her cause it's easy to carry and stylish.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The iMacs with a decent graphics card is fine for gaming. If you are really serious about it, I think the 24'' with the better card is worth the price. The 24'' screen is amazing. The low end iMac is also a good value machine IMO, fast and reliable.

So I guess I wasn't much help...you really can't go wrong in your situation.

But if you give her your Macbook....it's going to be a bitch to get back if you break up :)

11. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Sell her machine on ebay and grab a 17" imac. Check out the apple refurb store for a good deal.

12. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I read it as "choice of mac for girlfriend." As in, "should I be dating the MBP or the MP?" At which the answer would of course be the MBP. Maybe not as quiet, but definitely hotter.

13. irbdavid thread starter macrumors regular

irbdavid

Nah, it'll be a sell. At a fair price :p
    Me and her are both humble impoverished students. If we were working full time there would be no way in hell I could get away with trying to sell her it though lol.
    Her getting a Mac would save me time and effort having to deal with her windows XP problems though, that's would be worth a discount on the price :D

This does sound like the most sensible option really, thanks for suggesting the refurb store because that hadn't crossed my mind, but Apple's student discount generally represents better value. Plus the Core 2 Duo iMacs haven't started appearing there yet (not in the UK anyway).

A 24" iMac would be sweet though, but to afford it i'd probably end up putting my 20" TFT on ebay as well, which would kinda suck. One day...

Worth getting applecare for her iMac then? I bought it for my MacBook - the education applecare is only £60 so it's kinda a no-brainer really.

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

what does she want? a portable or a desktop?

if she wants a portable, give her your MB and get yourself a 24" iMac because those things are frickin' awesome.

if she wants a desktop, get her a 17" iMac because everyone likes an iMac and it's probably not worth spending the extra money to get her the bigger screen/faster processor if she wouldn't appreciate the benefits.

15. irbdavid thread starter macrumors regular

irbdavid

So she just ordered a 2.0Ghz 17" iMac, decked out with wireless keyboard and the 4Gb nano (old style) that you can get a rebate for. That'll be going straight to eBay along with the borked old laptop.

Macs.append('iMac')

:D

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

17. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Dude, you can't make your girl buy your computer off you, you only charge for it if you break up :p