Choosing a Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tehybrid, Dec 19, 2006.

1. tehybrid macrumors member

Ok I realized today a minDV camera is not quite enough for me anymore. I am looking for something with a long record time. So I am looking into a HDD camera. It doesnt have to be HDD but I think it would be best, but I do need audio in for mics, lighting isnt neccessary, but would be nice, it needs to be compatiable with the mac of course and FCX friendly. Also I would appreciate recommendations on a tripod, when I shoot with the current one and try to move it, the video becomes too jumpy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There aren't any HDD cameras that are Mac compatible or friendly w/FCX. How long of a record time are you looking for? And are you aware that in order for HDD cameras to deliver those long record times they reduce the video quality (which even at it's best isn't nearly as good as MiniDV)?

Lethal

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Is this for some kind of special use where the camera is left on, in record mode for some number of hours? Mini DV tapes last an hours which is quite a long time already. So please tell us why you need this and maybe someone can suggest something.

The hard drive cameras are like the DVD camera, they use compression so the video is hard to edit and you will need to transcode it to an editable format before bringing it into FPx.

I'm thinking that you might just try and record in tethered mode. Plug the FW cable into a notebook computer and turn on the camera and use FPx's "capture now" and then record video until the disk is full.

I shoot underwater video, so I kind of see what you are getting at. I can't open the camera underwater to change tapes. But so far this is not a problem as with a standard tank I run low on air about when I run low on tape. But this was a bigger deal with 35mm film cameras

About moving the camera while on a tripod. What you need is a "camera dolly". You can improvise one. What you need a something with BIG wheels and some flat ground to roll on. If the ground is not flat then you need even bigger wheels. I kid's wagon comes to mind, or a wheelchair

4. tehybrid thread starter macrumors member

The reason I am wondering is because I do alot of work with my school on recording plays and such, and since theyre life we cant stop for me to reload on film. And a single hour on DV tape doesnt cut it. I was hoping a hdd camera would let me record more and quicker, but I guess not.

I appreciate the tripod ideas they seem useful and I may mod a wagon to work.

Thanks,
    Kevin

5. NTJetboater macrumors member

I have 2 hour digital8 or Hi 8 tapes. I think you can even get 2 hour minidv tapes.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How long of tape loads do you need? MiniDV can get up to 80 or 90 minute loads and if you have more than one camera you can replace the tape in camera A while camera B is still rolling. Or, if your have a bit more of a budget you can buy a deck like the Sony DSR-11 which accepts the large DV tapes and those can go up to 3hrs. Then you just hook the camera into the deck and record to it instead of the camera.

Lethal

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

...or hook it up to a laptop and do a live capture.

8. tehybrid thread starter macrumors member

ok I am working on a new setup and yall give me your ideas. For my stationary camera I am hooking it to a linux box and recording straight to HDD with a small monitor so I can glance real quick and see whats going. Then with my dynamic camera I have modded a skate board with a wide deck on it for a tripod and camera this will record to tape. This setup will mainly be used for my web tv show and a few other things here and there. Though if I ever need to move for a big shoot it should be fairly easy. From there I can move all the DV from tape and the linux box into Final Cut and be on my way.

Kevin

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

10. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Why don't you just buy another camera? That way, you can overlap your break time to change tapes. Just keep 'em both on a tripod, and actually you'll gain because you'll have 2 angles almost all the time (except for the time you're changing tapes on your cameras). In any case, when you are doing live events (such as a play) it is an ADVANTAGE to use a multicamera set up, and is done quite commonly (usually with 3 cameras).

So instead of getting rid of your camera, just buy another one. Only thing to keep in mind is to make sure that they both give you more or less the same quality footage, otherwise you may have problems with matching cuts. Of course, multicamera setups are more demanding wrt. lighting, but that's not a big deal.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know why I didn't mention this before, but instead of building a small computer to capture to why not get a firestore?

Lethal